Should I leave USPS for UPS?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I actually agree with dave. Use your degree. USPS isnt looking great right now especially with the givebacks you've mentioned and there is a ton of BS at UPS assuming you put in years as a part timer and eventually get the call to be a driver. Your body will thank you if you stick with USPS and start working on getting into the private sector.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I work at USPS as a mail carrier and my hourly rate is $16.25/hr.
Unless you're interested in taking a 50% pay cut, I'd stay where you are and explore other options. I started at $8.50. Starting wage won't be $10 until the new contract ratifies and as you saw from that extremely long-winded and not-at-all-related rant made by teamsturz, those :censored2:s are going to drag it out for as long as they can simply because they can with their vote no nonsense.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Unless you're interested in taking a 50% pay cut, I'd stay where you are and explore other options. I started at $8.50. Starting wage won't be $10 until the new contract ratifies and as you saw from that extremely long-winded and not-at-all-related rant made by teamsturz, those :censored2:s are going to drag it out for as long as they can simply because they can with their vote no nonsense.
Whoa, you need to check your 8.50 self.....WTF do you know or understand about why the contract is not ratified??? Who are you to call anyone an A****? Sorry, I didn't realize that hundreds of drivers, many who've worked at UPS longer than you've been ALIVE, should vote Yes and flush their pension increases down the toilet because Johnny wants his big boy raise!!

Johnny Paycheck

I'm as much a due-paying member as you are, tough girl. Voting no hasn't, doesn't, and will not change anything.

Johnny makes plenty. He just was never much for putting the interests of people who make $80k a year over his own. Makes better sense that way.

I can tell you the sentiment in hubs that have already passed the contract is that you need to :censored2: or get off the can.

Island

You need to find out how long new employees are waiting before they win the seniority bid to drive at the hubs near you. It is different everywhere. In my hub the wait has been about 10 years to go full-time driver, with a recent dip due to route expansions and drivers bidding on other less stressful positions. However I know some other hubs in my area have a wait of just a couple years for the same job, but those guys don't get so much overtime because their routes are less dense. I know it won't be easy to find out the wait times around your area but that is probably the most important piece of information you'll need going forward. Unless you get smart and just abandon the idea of working at our very brown-covered company.

Johnny Paycheck

Sorry, I didn't realize that hundreds of drivers, many who've worked at UPS longer than you've been ALIVE, should vote Yes and flush their pension increases down the toilet because Johnny wants his big boy raise!!
Tens of thousands of UPS employees who already voted in the contract must want their big boy raises. You act like anything is still up for debate.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Tens of thousands of UPS employees who already voted in the contract must want their big boy raises. You act like anything is still up for debate.
Keep talking....it's posts like this that just prove you have no idea what you're talking about in reference to the supplements that haven't passed and why. I'd like my raise too, but I support any of my teamster brothers and sisters who are holding out for a better supplement.

Keep talking....it's posts like this that just prove you have no idea what you're talking about in reference to the supplements that haven't passed and why. I'd like my raise too, but I support any of my teamster brothers and sisters who are holding out for a better supplement.
So a few should hold the majority hostage? Holding others wage and pension increases. Safety issues like 9.5's. Nobody should have to continuously do 250+ stops in February. All I am saying is argument can go both ways.