Should I move on from UPS?

Should I quit?

• Total voters

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'm guessing you're from the millennium generation. You have this silly idea that you're suppose to
enjoy your job and make great money. Everything should be perfect and you shouldn't need to
make any sacrifices or trade offs. Here's how it really works. Life's a bitch and then you die.
that may have been true in my fathers' generation but not in mine (i'm a boomer ) . there are plenty of people who are happy with their careers . they wouldn't settle for less. it's more of a choice now. but you are right. for some people it's not.

Work isn't supposed to be fun but this is a job that gives you the potential to retire at a decent age and if you're smart you'll be able to live a cozy life afterwards. Theres no promise you'll live a cozy life with a decent job after you quit.

I'd suck it up and plan for the future instead of trying to make right now perfect.

Work can be enjoyable if you are lucky to find your passion. The reality is most are unaware of their passion or their passion can't support them financially. With any job it's up to you to create the work and family balance. In this case, it's clear he made decisions based solely on his girlfriend's dreams or passions not based on what he wanted for his life. UPS has nothing to do with it, it's an internal battle he must resolve.

HardknocksUPSer

right on, man. to each their own. i see it as a wasted life personally. im looking for my life outside of brown right now too. id take less money too, just to have more time off to enjoy my life. there is a lot more out there to do then one day a week. considering one day of the weekend is spent for groceries and other thing you need to get, you get basically one day a week to enjoy life. half the time i cant even stay away past 10pm on that weekend. to me, im not into it. sure i get paid and benefits, but money isnt everything. you like it as it is now, and im fine with that. matter of fact, im happy that you and others can look passed what i see as wrong. but for me, and probably for the OP, he isnt into what UPS is offering him.

he can stay in an area that he doesnt want to live, away from family and other things he once had, just so he can have a job and money. id be willing to bet that he could find another good job closer to where he wants to live without having to deal with brown. and if he was willing to spend about an hour reading previous posts on BC, he would see that 99% of them are of people complaining about UPS and how everything is bad.
Respectable reply, I really and truly hope you find something that you enjoy and have a happy and fun filled time enjoying yourself you seem as if you've thought it all out well and if that's what would make you happy, go for it for real! Life is all in how you take it, take care dude!

Scoot

go with your gut feeling before you are miserable for the next 25 years.

do what you love and the money will follow.
This will likely be your only opportunity to leave. Once you start making the money, you'll start needing the money. Then you'll be stuck. Now's the time to make a move if you're going to.

Faceplanted

Why are you wasting a Saturday getting groceries ect? If you think you are tired you will be tired. Even after 11 hour days there is still time to go get groceries, or go take a nice lady out to eat, or grab a drink. This job mentally gets to people and makes them feel more tired than they sould be during the week.

I make more than 95% of my friends, most college grads, I get more Vacay, I have a wonderful house that makes me happy every day I come home, I have 2 cars, a great wife, and I get 4 weeks a year where I can literally go or do anything I want and not even have a thought of ups. My weekends are full of fun things and great meals, and no matter what any hippy millennial says, money does bring you happiness, and most important personal security which brings happiness.

A few of my friends who do make more have to pay for benefits, are on salary and sometimes work longer days than us, and some of them have responsibilities that even when not at work, they have to answer, or respond to an email and handle.

I also feel good hearing my friends who only work 40 in an office type setting how they have to go to the gym after work. I don't, I'm in the best shape of my life thanks to ups, work at a safe pace and follow the methods and your body can last till 55 easy.

Be greatful for what you have brother.

Last edited:

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
if its all about having stuff and putting in way more hours than anyone you know, plus destroying your body, then i say stay

Faceplanted

Another thing to consider, I also thought money wasn't the most important thing in the world, until after 2 years of being a tcd working every day at 25hr making 60k+ a year I go sent back part time. The stress of barley getting by is not worth the free time you have that in my instance was spent being unproductive playing video games and bull :censored2:ting around.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I make more than 95% of my friends, most college grads, I get more Vacay, I have a wonderful house that makes me happy every day I come home, I have 2 cars, a great wife, and I get 4 weeks a year where I can literally go or do anything I want and not even have a thought of ups. My weekends are full of fun things and great meals, and no matter what any hippy millennial says, money does bring you happiness, and most important personal security which brings happiness.

A few of my friends who do make more have to pay for benefits, are on salary and sometimes work longer days than us, and some of them have responsibilities that even when not at work, they have to answer, or respond to an email and handle.
"I buy and have stuff so I'm happy"
That's nice for you but doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. Seems pretty empty to me.

Faceplanted

"I buy and have stuff so I'm happy"
That's nice for you but doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. Seems pretty empty to me.
Tell that to whoever you pay rent to.... Rent because without making a good amount more than minimum wage you can even afford a down payment for a house, or your kids who get made fun of because of not having "cool clothes" like other kids. It's the terrible way of life in the western world

Ups gives me the chance to retire at 40 years old with 2 paid off houses, and a nice 401k. Than I can be a hippy all I want.

Trust me man, this system is this country is a huge scam, instead of complaining and crying about it. I figured out a way to beat it.

If anybody wants to live the money doesn't bring happynesss life it's really not possible in this country, there are plenty of places in central/south America, scandanavia where you can actually do it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Tell that to whoever you pay rent to.... Rent because without making a good amount more than minimum wage you can even afford a down payment for a house.

Ups gives me the chance to retire at 40 years old with 2 paid off houses, and a nice 401k. Than I can be a hippy all I want.

Trust me man, this system is this country is a huge scam, instead of complaining and crying about it. I figured out a way to beat it.

If anybody wants to live the money doesn't bring happynesss life it's really not possible in this country, there are plenty of places in central/south America where you actually do it.
Sorry for responding...:p

Holydriver

Another thing to consider, I also thought money wasn't the most important thing in the world, until after 2 years of being a tcd working every day at 25hr making 60k+ a year I go sent back part time. The stress of barley getting by is not worth the free time you have that in my instance was spent being unproductive playing video games and bull :censored2:ting around.
this is a good point though. its hard to do anything more than bull :censored2: around when you have the time. thats what i kind of fear if i were to leave soon.

Holydriver

Tell that to whoever you pay rent to.... Rent because without making a good amount more than minimum wage you can even afford a down payment for a house, or your kids who get made fun of because of not having "cool clothes" like other kids. It's the terrible way of life in the western world

If anybody wants to live the money doesn't bring happynesss life it's really not possible in this country, there are plenty of places in central/south America where you actually do it.
you obviously live in a cheaper place to live than i do. the cost of living is so high here that im taking out of savings just to make rent. sucks bad because im working my entire life away and im poor the whole time. and im not out spending money all willy nilly...i just legitimately dont have any

Faceplanted

you obviously live in a cheaper place to live than i do. the cost of living is so high here that im taking out of savings just to make rent. sucks bad because im working my entire life away and im poor the whole time. and im not out spending money all willy nilly...i just legitimately dont have any
I can totally understand that. It's not fair that the guy working in Podunk Georgia is making the same as the driver in San Francisco. I live in an area where the cost of living isn't great, a decent house now cost 250+. Still not close to as bad as places like Cali and ny

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there is a book i read about 25 years ago that had a big influence called " Your Money Or Your Life " It puts things in perspective. it basically shows you that everything you buy takes up some of your life-time and makes you ask the question Is it worth it? Other than the necessities, it was not worth it for us.

even though i enjoyed driving feeder for ups i did not like management so this book helped me decide on LIFE instead of being bogged down with material things.

anyway, I am retired at a young age, house paid off, ton of money in 401k , and we take day trips or travel almost every week. we can do whatever we want and what we like to do does not take much money.

25 years of working for UPS went by in a flash. we learned to balance work with play during those years . work life never consumed us. now we do nothing but play. hopefully for the next 25-40 years.

check out that book. it's probably on amazon for a penny.