Should I sign a 24 month contract

Hambone

I was offered a Swing driver position but they want me to sign for 24 months at my current station and 18 months cant change positions. Opinions?

hypo hanna

Make a counter offer.

You have nothing to loose. They are getting more and more desperate for swing drivers. (It is after all the only hourly job classification that has seen a raise in pay scale. )

You may have more of a negotiating position then you think.

Whatever you agree upon, get it in writing. Remember who you are dealing with.

!Retired!

1. That's a weird offer letter. A typical offer letter usually says you can't bid on another route within the station for 6 months or another station for 18 or 24 months.
2. If you don't have a good chunk of seniority, 10+ years, expect to stay in that position a while.
3. Also, get the policy that states you can't be scheduled to work more than 2 PM's/week without asking you first.

Slick silver

I took a swing position couple weeks back, I run mostly nights with also doing am stops. Basically work noon to 10pm mostly. It's like they say operational needs

Sent using BrownCafe App

hypo hanna

Swings cover open routes....whether they're AM or PM's make no difference. It's rare you would run a PM ONLY though.
Pretty much in the mega stations only. Even then they will pull the "operational needs" BS. Something you might want to bring up in the negotiations. Only so many times a month etc.

Maui

I'd sign if you want full-time. It can suck to be swing when you get put on routes you don't know or have to move at the last minute. I've only been out west so we didn't have any full-time PM routes so I have no idea about that possibility, but swings, by policy, are not included in the other OT draft lists including Saturday and holidays. So, unless all couriers are forced you should get those days off.

whenIgetthere

Swings can't be forced into OT, that being a scheduled day off. BUT, a swing can be moved from an AM route, to a PM route or split shift, if you're scheduled to work that day. Whatever they feel like. When put on a route blind, don't panic. Take your time, don't worry about lates, and NEVER set up your stops off the clock. If you feel you need training ask for it, but chances are you won't get it. We have one swing who demands training on every route, and he gets it. The rest of the swings run the routes blind when needed, using only gap reports or planet station reports to get by. I know all but three routes at my station from when I was a swing, I got trained on one! Lots of OT available for a swing if you want it, too.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
3. Also, get the policy that states you can't be scheduled to work more than 2 PM's/week without asking you first.

The policy is that you shouldn't be scheduled more than 2 splits in a week, and even then there are published exceptions to that policy in PBP.

whenIgetthere

The policy is that you shouldn't be scheduled more than 2 splits in a week, and even then there are published exceptions to that policy in PBP.

When I was a swing, I was routinely on four or five splits per week at the station I was at then. It wasn't till later that I learned of this policy.

Hambone

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I have an interview for UPS as a package handler on Monday so maybe I'll do that and work my way up. But then I also want all the money of a swing right now. It's a tough call.

Sent using BrownCafe App

overflowed

I appreciate all the feedback guys. I have an interview for UPS as a package handler on Monday so maybe I'll do that and work my way up. But then I also want all the money of a swing right now. It's a tough call.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Suffer a little, go see about the ups.

!Retired!

If can swing making a less for an unknown amount of time, have at it. At this point of my life, I couldn't do it.

Maui

Agreed. If you can get by on UPS package handler wages until you can drive, then you will be MUCH better off financially than as a Swing at FedEx. Top wage for drivers at UPS is going to be near $38/hour at the end of the next contract in 2018. You won't sniff that in 30 years at Express and the Teamster pension is better in most locations (especially the west).

MAKAVELI

Agreed. If you can get by on UPS package handler wages until you can drive, then you will be MUCH better off financially than as a Swing at FedEx. Top wage for drivers at UPS is going to be near $38/hour at the end of the next contract in 2018. You won't sniff that in 30 years at Express and the Teamster pension is better in most locations (especially the west).
Any pension is better than ours, as we don't have a real pension. The porta potty crap doesn't amount to anything. Honestly that money would be better off being put in our 401k.

Maui

Any pension is better than ours, as we don't have a real pension. The porta potty crap doesn't amount to anything. Honestly that money would be better off being put in our 401k.

Well, if any get into trouble like the Central States, then there won't be a pension to pay out. FedEx is smaller than all, but there are many different pensions within UPS and the Western States is in by far the best position.

MAKAVELI

Well, if any get into trouble like the Central States, then there won't be a pension to pay out. FedEx is smaller than all, but there are many different pensions within UPS and the Western States is in by far the best position.
Was the pension plan at FedEx before the switch ever in jeopardy of being underfunded? Don't think so. With no wage progression and no pension, health ins we can't afford to use, new hires have no incentive to stay here very long. If someone has the chance and willing to put in their time, they would have a much better future at UPS.