Should I start driving?

JD3750

So I've been on the preload at my hub for almost 5 years and I'm getting tired of doing 2 jobs so I've been considering driving but I'm not sure. Management also seems to tell people all the time that yeah they can drive and then do everything they can to keep them on the preload because they don't wanna lose them or try other ridiculous stuff to keep people from moving up.

Ms.PacMan

In Central Region, for the service pension, 25 FT yrs + PT years equal or greater to 30 years will pay out at $2500/mo plus pt pension amt even if you're under 57.

25 yrs + pt yrs under 30 combined yrs of service only pays $2000/mo under 57

Ms.PacMan

Do you know that you have a pension as a part-timer? You do.
Do you know how much driver's make? Do you know how many hrs we work?

Read your OP again. You sound clueless. Why do you want to drive? More pay? Less hrs? Less running around (because if you think that drive to the 2nd job is annoying you'll probably hate driving). Don't blame mgmt for "keeping you down". Make a decision based on what YOU want and do it.

BTW- you're the same age as my son and I would tell him to pull his head out of his ass, too.

JD3750

I do know how much you guys make and how many hours you work. Working long hours doesn't matter to me. I really just want one full time job to go to in the morning and be done at night. I don't have kids or any of that to worry about working too much and never seeing them. I live on my own. I just would like to make more money and not have to work 2 jobs.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
So I've been on the preload at my hub for almost 5 years and I'm getting tired of doing 2 jobs so I've been considering driving but I'm not sure. Management also seems to tell people all the time that yeah they can drive and then do everything they can to keep them on the preload because they don't wanna lose them or try other ridiculous stuff to keep people from moving up.
man , there are 3000 threads on this topic. do a search.

go driving, don't go driving, it's up to you. do you really want to ask nameless idiots on the computer?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
image.jpg

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Think about it. Weigh the pros and cons. Not everyone is cut out for being a driver but you can have a good career once you get established.

JL 0513

Go for it, I started driving for UPS at 23 and hated my life ever since. It's a great experience

You started driving too young to realize how much other jobs suck more while paying much less. I started driving at 33 so I held many other jobs for over 17 years and they were all much less pleasant while paying 1/4 the rate of a driver. That's the problem with many drivers. No perspective on the rest of the job market. I had to work 55+ hrs a week for many years just to make sure I could eat. And all I could think of at these jobs is that punch out time. Enough to drive you crazy. Driving is the easiest time of my life while making way more.