Should I swicth?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Ohhhh okay...then that's fair. We just started that in my local...before this peak...inside PTers were not allowed to be helpers over seasonals.

In Central States, permanent PTers have the right to driver help over any seasonal/outside hire... but try telling that to some driver who has his eyes on the local Hooters girl to be his helper, or another driver who's intending on using his kid as his helper. I go through this every single year... UPS will start out with needs for only a handful of helpers, I'll sign-up for the work but the driver will want to use his/her designated helper and I'll sit at home. Guess who's the bad guy if I complain?

How does OT work for you if you driver help? OT after 8 hours combined and whatever your highest OT pay is(inside rate vs driver helping rate)?

In Central States you earn the daily regular/OT rate for Preload. Driver Helping OT is calculated weekly but cannot be pyramided.

For example, a PTer earning $10/hour works Preload for 35 hours, netting 10 hours of OT. He also driver helps ($15/hour) for 20 hours, earning $15/hour. Since he worked a total of 55 hours, he'd be paid for 15 hours OT, but since he was already paid 10 at Preload wage, 5 would be paid at Driver Helping wage.

In other words, if you make less than $15/hour, it may be in your best interest to clock out early off Preload and driver help.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Sign the list and grieve if you're not used.

It's easier said that done. When it's happened in the past and I discussed the situation with management they sent me out as a helper the next day... but the driver complained about my work performance -- for pure manipulative reasons (he wanted to work with his kid, not me) -- and it was a long while before I was permitted to help again. He gets the entire month of December to work with his kid, but the few opportunities available in November go to the Insiders. But he, and many other drivers, don't accept that. Teamster brotherhood, right? :knockedout:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
So every driver in your building has kids old enough who are unemployed and available to work as helpers?

The $15/hour wage is high enough that most drivers know multiple people interested in the job and they prefer to work with one of "their" helpers. Additionally, there are so few helping opportunities available in November that drivers who know somebody interested in the job (typically a family member or close family friend) but not receiving a helper will ask somebody receiving a helper to use "their" helper.

It's typically not until late into December, when drivers get cranky, loads get crappy and the weather gets nasty, that we have helper shortages.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's easier said that done. When it's happened in the past and I discussed the situation with management they sent me out as a helper the next day... but the driver complained about my work performance -- for pure manipulative reasons (he wanted to work with his kid, not me) -- and it was a long while before I was permitted to help again. He gets the entire month of December to work with his kid, but the few opportunities available in November go to the Insiders. But he, and many other drivers, don't accept that. Teamster brotherhood, right? :knockedout:
Complaining to managment is not filing a grievance. Watching seasonals work as helpers when you have the contractual right to work before they do and doing nothing about it....is not filing a grievance. Complaining about it on BC? Not filing a grievance.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Alot more bending over n stuff. Easier to load truck that's on preload anyway not sure bout local sort. Never worked local sort

Everything is easier on local sort. Unloading feeders is the worst job at UPS. Anyone that does that for over 5 months and doesn't have some kind of back problem is not a human being. Stay where you are.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Complaining to managment is not filing a grievance. Watching seasonals work as helpers when you have the contractual right to work before they do and doing nothing about it....is not filing a grievance. Complaining about it on BC? Not filing a grievance.

I'm aware of this but the reality is that forcing yourself into a situation of working with somebody who doesn't want to work with you is a recipe for disaster. Before you worked with them, the reason they did not want to work with you was nothing personal, but after you forced yourself in it became so.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm aware of this but the reality is that forcing yourself into a situation of working with somebody who doesn't want to work with you is a recipe for disaster. Before you worked with them, the reason they did not want to work with you was nothing personal, but after you forced yourself in it became so.
No, it became personal the minute the driver went to management and complained about you...assuming his complaints were BS, like you claim. You are just trying to earn some dough....and if you were a good helper...I don't know too many drivers who wouldn't understand that...even if they'd rather work with someone they know.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

You come to work to make money, not to make any friends. I could care less what anybody at work thinks about me.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
No, it became personal the minute the driver went to management and complained about you...assuming his complaints were BS, like you claim. You are just trying to earn some dough....and if you were a good helper...I don't know too many drivers who wouldn't understand that...even if they'd rather work with someone they know.

I don't disagree with you -- but it's easier said than done. Like I said, because of the higher wage, most drivers have one or more persons who they'd like to be their helper. They view helpers as social partners and get p'd when they're partnered with somebody else, regardless of how good they are. (And FWIW, there are several drivers I always work with but none get helpers until after T-giving, so the issue is always the limited number of helpers used in November).

I've discussed this with my BA. He has told me I'm welcome to file, but pointed out that most drivers will get p'd if they can't work with their friends/kids/etc. and I'll look like the bad guy. He's told me to pick his battles... and unfortunately he's right.