Should I take a rural route ?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
There is a route at my center that has 75-83 stops 340 miles

Sent using BrownCafe App
340 miles,now that's just freakin narley dude lol. Wow man. Sounds really easy though but that's a lot driving. Plenty of hours on that, but you get used to driving a lot so its probably not a biggee to that driver. I love the seat time and so does my lovely beloved back lmfao.

onehandsolo

90 stops and 170 miles is too much for that many rural deliveries. Should be about 60-65 stops. Who ever has been running it didn't go by the book and you have to pay for his foolishness until you get it down to where it should be. The quickest way to do that is to go by their rules.
He has about 20 commercial stops on main road to rural area

Sent using BrownCafe App

Fedex Guy

Any road is brutal when road is slick from ice. That's the most stress fee time because you can drive like grandpa and not get in any kind of trouble for bringing back a gazillion stops lmfao. Your not working hard at all physically in those conditions, the only thing working hard is your brain mentally from trying to focus and being extremely careful. That's exactly why I got mad respect for feeders for driving that king kong sized truck in scary conditions, not everybody has the mental aptitude and discipline to do it.

I agree, who cares what the weather is? Sheet that shyt up as EC and move on.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have a semi rural route and surprisingly winter roads are not a major issue. The village and township do a fantastic job with snow removal. Where it gets dicey are the driveyways. Even then if you know your customers well you can work out alternate delivery places.

Packmule

I did just that 7 years ago. Wouldn't go back to a metro back breaker for all the tea in China. Will say, though, in winter, rural driving problems will set your nerves on edge. The key is to communicate with customers all year long about what to do on wintery days and keep a log book or put notes in the diad. Also, know when to say screw it, and take it back to the center.

I currently average 180 to 200 stops and 260 pieces, 85 miles a day. I am considering bidding a rural route averaging 90 stops 140 pieces and 170 miles a day. Both routes have about 20 business stops a day. Some drivers in my center would rather deliver more stops and drive last. I am pushing 50 and have 10 to 12 years left. Thoughts. Ps we have Orion. I woulld just follow it on my new run.

Sent using BrownCafe App
The answer is easy. Windshield time save wear and tear on the knees and everything else except your ass. Take it from me. Driving in circles is all it's cracked up to be plus a bag of chips.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Rural routes are definately better but they arent as easy as one might think. This time of year I deal with dust from the gravel roads that gets into my eyes, my ears, my nose, and any other orifice you might think of. I have almost constant nosebleeds because of it and by the end of the day I look like a coal miner. The washboard roads are as bad on my back as heavy boxes, and the fog and ice and snow make wintertime downright scary.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rural routes are definately better but they arent as easy as one might think. This time of year I deal with dust from the gravel roads that gets into my eyes, my ears, my nose, and any other orifice you might think of. I have almost constant nosebleeds because of it and by the end of the day I look like a coal miner. The washboard roads are as bad on my back as heavy boxes, and the fog and ice and snow make wintertime downright scary.

so are you saying you would rather be running a industrial park/residential route with 250+ stops and a butt load of heavy pickup? :happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
He has about 20 commercial stops on main road to rural area

Sent using BrownCafe App

I realize that----70-75 rural route stops plus 20 commercial is still too much for that many miles. At least it was at the turn of the century when I was there. My old route was 100-115 stops, a hundred miles, 12 pickups (may be 30 pkgs) , about 200 pkgs delivered. Out of that about 20 stops were rural routes around a bunch of lakes. I got about an hour/ hour and a half a day OT. Yes- I know times have changed an I do feel sorry for you slaves. The day after I retired a bunch of crap was added to the route for the guy who replaced me.

gilesplus

I took a rural route about 2 and 1/2 years ago coming off routes driving a p1000 with .about 110 stops and picked up 300 or more pick up pieces. I really hated to change routes since I lived on it but me and my body are glad we switched. You should definitely take a rural route.

Sent using BrownCafe App

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Totally agree, some guys don't get it really. Don't get me wrong if your on a bulk route and you live close by, or get mad tips on it and have like maybe 5 years or less to retirement, I can see why some guys would stay on it. I totally get that but if you got 10 to 20 left to the finish line, get off that horse and find another route. Your body will thank you. Its all about finishing the race healthy if you can. Work smarter not harder.