Should I take a Sup job offered to me after only 2 months ?

blckvec

Hey guys, I'm a loader and I've been working at UPS for about 2 months. Just got out of the new six week safety mentoring program last week.We had a hub safety audit this week, I was singled out and apparently made a good impression on one or more individuals. Yesterday I was loading and the Hub Manager ( the same man who hired me ) walks into the trailer and tells me he thinks I should become a sup and whenever I want the job to come see him. He didn't go into specifics, other than saying, "supervision" and I'd start off at 13.50.

I'm so new I don't know what to make of this at all. Any advice from you UPS vets would be appreciated. Thanks.

brownedout

There's alot of questions you need to ask and answer for yourself. Why did you begin working for UPS; where did you look to go within this company? Why is one of the newer employees being offered this position? Why have so many of your co-workers passed this up? One of specifics Hub Manager probably didn't mention is you need to submit a letter of intention to be considered for promotion at UPS. This I believe gets forwarded to HR and higher ups . I'm sure this Hub Manager would have a say in you moving up, but not the only, and definitely not the final. The best advice most of us give here is you have to do what's best for you and your family. Good luck.

Nimnim

The Nim
Do you plan on making a career out of UPS? If so, you're probably better of not going into supervision. The odds of advancing past PT supervision are extremely slim and while the pay may be a boost now in a few years you'll be making more than the average PT supervisor as an hourly.

If you plan on going to another job, then supervision isn't a bad idea. It always looks good on resumes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do you plan on making a career out of UPS? If so, you're probably better of not going into supervision. The odds of advancing past PT supervision are extremely slim and while the pay may be a boost now in a few years you'll be making more than the average PT supervisor as an hourly.

If you plan on going to another job, then supervision isn't a bad idea. It always looks good on resumes.

Good, solid advice.
I would add this bit of information - a career at UPS that nimnim refers to is making it up to a driver's position.
A driver can go into UPS Management as a continuation of a different career path.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Never take advice from people who give you Yes or No answers because they are telling you something about themselves but not helping you to make a decision. You have to make the decision yourself because only you know what it is you are going for. Look for advice that has reasons for Yes or No or provide things/concerns to consider in making YOUR decision.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No because they will be used and abused, and never advance. It is a dead end job unless you are one of the few lucky enough to have someone drag you along. Do it if you want it for a resume, but dont think it is a key to your future. Once you do it, there are no guarantees. Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would say that the best way for someone young to go into UPS w/out college education , is to do as Hoax mentioned: work P/T union until you are in place for a drivers position.

Go to school if you can, even if you are working FT hours.
Secure the drivers job down the road if/when it's available (make sure your driving record is clean) and try a leap into FT Supervisor role, where you can then maybe make your mark higher up.

The best way to advance at UPS to my knowledge, is to get experience, know your enemies and also follow the path of least resistance.

DS

Fenderbender
I would say that the best way for someone young to go into UPS w/out college education , is to do as Hoax mentioned: work P/T union until you are in place for a drivers position.

Go to school if you can, even if you are working FT hours.
Secure the drivers job down the road if/when it's available (make sure your driving record is clean) and try a leap into FT Supervisor role, where you can then maybe make your mark higher up.

The best way to advance at UPS to my knowledge, is to get experience, know your enemies and also follow the path of least resistance.
Wow! Are you pining to be a mod?:wink2:

robot

Has A Large Member
I still see my original part time supervisor from when I first started. He's STILL a part time supervisor. That was over 15 years ago!

I'm a feeder driver now, with seniority.

robot

Has A Large Member
Speaking of part time supervisors, I noticed the OP mentioned starting at 13.80. I didn't know they were paid by the hour. I thought they were salary.