Should I take FT PC bid?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by kem9, Sep 17, 2013.

1. kem9

kem9 New Member

Right now I am pt-pt of preload and air/Saturday air. I drive air many weekdays and every Saturday. Occasionally I take ground out when needed which is a bonus. I like what I do, but because I'm only part time air (not necessarily a bid for it like a combo), I can be bumped by anyone who has building seniority on me who decides to drive air. I've been doing this for 3 years (6 years at UPS). At times like now I am always needed, but then sometimes a guy who is above me starts driving and I'm just doing preload.

It's frustrating. I work at a large main hub, and my ideal job would be FT air. I signed a Ft PC bid and I'm waiting to see how far they get on the list. I've been a cover driver before, and I can do the work. Do I want it?

I just want at least 40 hours without having to work 6 days a week and hoping I don't get bumped. Sorry this is more of a rant than a question.

Should I take a Ft PC bid if offered?

Lasted edited by : Sep 17, 2013
  2. Get your foot in the door..it will take awhile...keep trying...and good luck

3. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this is a troll.
    Anyone who has worked for this company for 6 years knows PC drivers never get just 40 hours.

4. kem9

kem9 New Member

Not a troll.

Let me rephrase. I just want 40+ hours without fear of only getting 25 preload+ sat (4-6) hours which is my bare minimum and without working 6 days. I'm well aware of long driver hours. I'm wondering if I should deal with the bumping and never knowing how much I will make or go for Ft PC and have no life during the week but a more consistent income.

5. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

You can still have a life during the week while being a driver. Despite what you read on here, there are more drivers working 9 hours every day then there are working 12.

6. thats why I OPT IN! I Want a life!

7. kem9

kem9 New Member

Good to know. All I hear about is 60 hour weeks. I think I will take it if I'm offered. Thanks guys.

8. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

Never stop trying to advance in status and pay. Good choice to take.

9. kem9

kem9 New Member

I had another question. If I got the bid and qualified, would I be under the old contract or new? I'm wondering if I would have 3 or 4 years for progression. Thanks!

10. Squint

Squint No more work for me!

I always knew part time air drivers were delivering ground packages. Shame on you!

11. kem9

kem9 New Member

Lol. It's not that often. Most of the time it's because of call offs, no shows, excess volume, and truck break downs.

12. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

Work as much as you can when your young son. Save for a house and stash as much as you can in the 401k. Work a lot when your young so you don't have to when your older.

13. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

The new one , once it ratifies. 4 yr progression. I believe you said you have cover driven,so if you have 30 days in your golden. You make 80% until progression catches up. Ultimately you will get a 5 dollar raise at the end. Not to shabby. And if im not mistaken, everytime you ran ground with that air, it would count as a qualified day.

14. pretender

pretender Active Member

The magic of compound interest:

Time Is on Your Side

15. Re-Raise

Re-Raise Well-Known Member

Sounds like every day at my center.