Should I take it

hypo hanna

I don't understand why you would wish that on a new person though. If I was there 30 years, I'd show me exactly how I lasted 30 years, not laugh at em for hours until the point they flame out? No wonder your still delivering. Some leader you are, I hope you don't teach your children this. If you have any.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Since when is it my job to be a leader to the revolving door of new hires? fedex doesn't want to compensate me as a courier, they sure arent going to compensate me to mentor the new guy.
We laugh at the ones who come in assuming they know everything and then throw a hisy fit when they are called on it.
My kids know better the to get involved with a company like fedex. I've made sure of it.

Whocares123

Since when is it my job to be a leader to the revolving door of new hires? fedex doesn't want to compensate me as a courier, they sure arent going to compensate me to mentor the new guy.
We laugh at the ones who come in assuming they know everything and then throw a hisy fit when they are called on it.
My kids know better the to get involved with a company like fedex. I've made sure of it.
Oh, ok.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Whocares123

Oh, ok.

Sent using BrownCafe App
If I was new though, and say, you trained me and I knew you were there for 30 years I wouldn't act like I knew everything. I would ask you questions and pick your brain on how to have a career there for 30 years. I understand though, you would leave if you didn't have 30 years in.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MAKAVELI

If I was new though, and say, you trained me and I knew you were there for 30 years I wouldn't act like I knew everything. I would ask you questions and pick your brain on how to have a career there for 30 years. I understand though, you would leave if you didn't have 30 years in.

Sent using BrownCafe App
There won't be anymore 30 year couriers with the current compensation. Those 30 year vets have topped out pay and a pension. Something you will never see.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Lmao I never threw a "hissy fit". I was just wondering why you guys stayed.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I'm just making an assumption that you're a 'younger' person.

A lot of us on this board started with this outfit back in the '80s and '90s - back when it was still a desirable company to work for. When we came aboard we were painted a pretty rosy future if we would commit, and their actions at the time seemed to validate their promises. We had better than average pay and benefits, and bonuses for this, that and the other.

Fast forward to the past decade or so where we have seen it all evaporate. Raises (when we get them) are laughable, benefits have eroded while our health care coverage has deteriorated to the point where we literally cannot afford to use it. Our pensions - decimated.

Now go back to the part where I said that many of us started some 25 to 30 years ago or more. What does that mean? It means it's a little late in life for us to cut our losses and start somewhere anew.

Granted, we old-timers have it better than the newer-hires, but we've still been bent over but good. For most of us, staying where we are and riding out our last few years is probably our best option (as unattractive as it may be). We screwed up and gave FedEx our best years - and those are irretrievable, which is something we give no thought to when we're young. Even if by some miracle we do still feel young and healthy, hiring managers at other corporations aren't exactly beating our doors down looking for worn out war horses to sign on with them.

So here we are, yes pissing and moaning about our sorry states, and every so often a guy such as yourself pops in and asks......and we don't pull any punches about how we feel. If we can steer someone else away from this dead-end, then at least we've accomplished something here.

So perhaps you can understand why so many here took umbrage to your combativeness. I guess we could've told you what a warm fuzzy it gives us to come in to work every day and make you feel good for the moment...but how would that have benefitted you in the long run?

Why do the younger ones stay?......that's a mystery to me as well. If I were starting today I'd be quitting tomorrow.

Hope this has helped shed a little light.

White Line

No I don't think you should take it, you said you worked for Coke, does that mean you have a CDL, if so go hit up some of the LTL companies for a job, better pay and benefits, you mentioned some dislike of the union, but I have to tell you I have yet to hear a ABF driver complain about his or her job they all seem pretty happy there and they are union, the other companies I would look into are UPS Freight, Old Dominion, Oak Harbor (have been hiring), and USF Reddaway (also have been hiring) or Holland depending on what coast you are living on and Saia, LTL companies to be wary of, not saying that they are bad companies or jobs but they are not the best either, would be YRC (only because there has been talk of them going under), Conway Freight (you either love it or hate it in my case I hated it), FedEx Freight (for obvious reasons the defining difference is pallets vs envelopes) and R&L (these guys are a bunch of weirdos).

White Line

Oh and one other thing if you choose to go that route, I would suggest because you have a family doing local P&D this way you are home everyday, DO NOT GO LINEHAUL, all LTL companies start their linehaul new guys on what they call a extra board, and the extra board is brutal on the family life.

Whocares123

No I don't think you should take it, you said you worked for Coke, does that mean you have a CDL, if so go hit up some of the LTL companies for a job, better pay and benefits, you mentioned some dislike of the union, but I have to tell you I have yet to hear a ABF driver complain about his or her job they all seem pretty happy there and they are union, the other companies I would look into are UPS Freight, Old Dominion, Oak Harbor (have been hiring), and USF Reddaway (also have been hiring) or Holland depending on what coast you are living on and Saia, LTL companies to be wary of, not saying that they are bad companies or jobs but they are not the best either, would be YRC (only because there has been talk of them going under), Conway Freight (you either love it or hate it in my case I hated it), FedEx Freight (for obvious reasons the defining difference is pallets vs envelopes) and R&L (these guys are a bunch of weirdos).
Yes I have my cdls, and my father actually works for ABF been there for 20 years. Unfortunately, it to has gone down hill..they still get compensated very well, there have been cut backs on pay they lost a week of vaca, he was telling me you have to be there 8 years now to even get 2 years vaca, been talks of them getting bought out. I guess that CEO is a real SOB, she said no truck driver in the world deserves to make 80k a year. I've heard SAIA is just as bad as coke in my area but they pay really good even have a 3k sign on bonus. I've heard Conway stinks, haven't heard to much about R&L but have heard that they are weird lol. All of em are hiring but they all have the same problem, to many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Sent using BrownCafe App

hypo hanna

A lot of us on this board started with this outfit back in the '80s and '90s - back when it was still a desirable company to work for. When we came aboard we were painted a pretty rosy future if we would commit, and their actions at the time seemed to validate their promises. We had better than average pay and benefits, and bonuses for this, that and the other.

Fast forward to the past decade or so where we have seen it all evaporate. Raises (when we get them) are laughable, benefits have eroded while our health care coverage has deteriorated to the point where we literally cannot afford to use it. Our pensions - decimated.

Now go back to the part where I said that many of us started some 25 to 30 years ago or more. What does that mean? It means it's a little late in life for us to cut our losses and start somewhere anew.

Granted, we old-timers have it better than the newer-hires, but we've still been bent over but good. For most of us, staying where we are and riding out our last few years is probably our best option (as unattractive as it may be). We screwed up and gave FedEx our best years - and those are irretrievable, which is something we give no thought to when we're young. Even if by some miracle we do still feel young and healthy, hiring managers at other corporations aren't exactly beating our doors down looking for worn out war horses to sign on with them.

So here we are, yes pissing and moaning about our sorry states, and every so often a guy such as yourself pops in and asks......and we don't pull any punches about how we feel. If we can steer someone else away from this dead-end, then at least we've accomplished something here.

So perhaps you can understand why so many here took umbrage to your combativeness. I guess we could've told you what a warm fuzzy it gives us to come in to work every day and make you feel good for the moment...but how would that have benefitted you in the long run?

Why do the younger ones stay?......that's a mystery to me as well. If I were starting today I'd be quitting tomorrow.

I could not have said it better myself.

Whocares123

Yes actually that helped a lot. Better than getting behind a keyboard and being a cyber bully calling me a purple kool-aid drinking troll. Seems every company is heading this way. Tenured guys at coke told me to run as far away as fast as I can. I truly hope you get to enjoy retirement.

Sent using BrownCafe App