Should I (we) file?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by IDoLessWorkThanMost, Jul 25, 2008.

1. IDoLessWorkThanMost

IDoLessWorkThanMost New Member

A 22.3 job was posted in our hub about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Within 48 hours, the job was removed from the board.

No word on who or what happened.

Two days ago, I talked with a 22.3 who said the job went to a cover driver with less than 1 year experience full-time.

I have more seniority both overall and full-time and was skipped. The other names on the board had more seniority than this person too.

Is this grievable? How long do we have? It's been several weeks and the job just dissapeared. Appears as though management pulled a fast one (what a shocker).

Thanks!

2. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I would file if I wanted the job, what could it hurt? I always thought a Bid Job had to be posted for a certain amount of time and signed by the Shop Steward and the Business Manager.

3. IDoLessWorkThanMost

In this hub, the union means nothing. Management gets away with whatever they want to. Stewards are basically managers wearing teamster pins. It doesn't surprise me at all that this would happen to a bid as management already had someone hand picked i'm sure. I'm sure most centers, yes, there is a process for it all. Not here, though.

I am most importantly wonder how much time there is to grieve something that happened in the past. I'm on vacation until august 4th and I feel like if I wait until I come back the issue will be null and void..

thanks again for reading

4. upsdude

upsdude Well-Known Member

In our district the local HR rep is responsible for all bid list postings. The bid list will have the effective dates typed on the top so there’s no question as to when it comes down.

I understand what you’re saying about local union representation, which can be very frustrating. We’re very fortunate that we have a very good HR person that has solved problems management and the union couldn’t seem to agree on.

If you feel that contacting the union is a waste of time try the HR department. That’s the best I can offer.

5. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk New Member

Safe or sorry, your choice.

6. WhatPCM

WhatPCM Insubordinator

Are you sure But the Benefits are Great doesn't work at your center?

7. MR_Vengeance

MR_Vengeance United Parcel Survivor

same here, our BA is in bed with the management. As far as for file a grievance , check out the list first and ask people to see if they got skipped.

8. helenofcalifornia

helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

Has the PT cover driver started the new job yet?

9. IDoLessWorkThanMost

It was a full-time cover driver....

Again, it's cut and dry that FT employees were skipped over. THe question is whether its too late to grieve and if the union cares. The way this hub is, and representation, it's almost impossible to fight a battle.

10. filthpig

filthpig Active Member

You have 10 days.

11. IDoLessWorkThanMost

The bid sheet was up 48 hours.

From the time it was taken down we have 10 days to grieve? That's unbelievable. So next bid that happens, just grieve it right away no matter what? lol That would be the only solution?

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I would grieve anyway and see what happens.

13. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk New Member

I agree, does not sound like you have much to lose filing, so do it.

14. helenofcalifornia

helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

The bid sheet was supposed to be up and available for all to see and sign for one week. I would start by grieving that and see where it goes. Mighty suspicious.

15. What'dyabringmetoday???

What'dyabringmetoday??? Well-Known Member

Full-time drivers should not be bidding on 22.3 jobs anyway.

16. IDoLessWorkThanMost

Supervisors said bid sheets only must be posted for 48 hours.

All jobs are available to be bid in New England. 22.3 can bid package, vice versa.

17. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Check out a 22.3 job that was posted last March in our center, The damn thing is still up.And it was filled last April/May , due to someone getting bumped.
    Never heard of any 48hr rule, kind of sucks for someone on vacation or out sick.

18. IDoLessWorkThanMost

No one wanted that inside/out job.

Beware "The Prince of Darkness" :happy-very:

19. Nitelite

Nitelite Member

I am also in New England and our hub posts openings for a full week. 48 Hours is ridiculous.

20. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk New Member

What does Ozzy have to do with this?