Should i work for the UPS or USPS (post office)?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by planetx, Aug 17, 2012.

1. planetx

planetx New Member

I'm currently 16 years old and I'm planning to get work for either one as soon as I turn 18. I will not be going to college and am planning to work fulltime. I'd like to know which would be a better job for me including benefits, salary rates, etc.
  2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Good luck with that.
  3. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Other than the hours u will work ups is superior in about every way. You will not be working full time at either place as an 18 year old though I promise u that.
  4. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

The post office LOL.

Depending on the area you in you might have to start out as a rural carrier using you own car if not you'll start out as a temp filling in... The people that are working the counter have been with the post office for ever the post office is a union shop you'll have to put you time in walking and working Saturdays for years.

However, you First have to pass a test then you have to wait till there is an opening then you have to hope you get picked... - Careers
  5. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Neither is good place to start out if your looking to work FT hours in the next 10 years.
  6. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

Honestly , I think the USPS is going under.
    They missed a $5B pension payment and are losing $42M @ day.
    So who do they cut , the hub mail sorters.
    Not the over bloated mgt staff.
    UPS is still profitable .
    However getting in can be a hassle.
    Min age to drive is 21.
    The internal policies can drive one insane, but if you want it then remember it will be a constant uphill battle.
  7. rocket man

rocket man Well-Known Member

join the military become ems fireman cop
  8. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

one of our drivers was a letter carrier

he says the bull:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: at USPS makes our flavors of the month look reasonable in comparison
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Go to school or join the military.
  10. Richard Harrow

Richard Harrow Would you pay a dime to see this?

I echo the sentiments of a few others. Do yourself the favor of either going to school (for a useful major) or join the military. The USPS is going out of business, and UPS driver isn't the job it used to be, and that's after working part-time for no less than 3 years to get it.

Good luck.
  11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

By school I hope u all mean trade school this kids knows college is not for him. I respect that and admire that this 16 yr old is looking out for his future.
  12. CanonPowerlifter

CanonPowerlifter New Member

if it all fails you can go to job corps.
  13. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

UPS post office will be out of business, soon and very soon.
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There is no way the USPS is going out of business. Congress will wake-up and realize that they need to let the Post Office operate like any other business, with the abiility to raise prices and close/consolidate less than profitable branches.
  15. packageguy

packageguy Well-Known Member

I know then can, but have done nothing yet
  16. bluehdmc

bluehdmc Well-Known Member

Does Congress ever do anything quickly?

(Except maybe vote themselves a pay raise?)