Should some of us make more than others?

kingOFchester

Saw a post from Hoaxster. It made me think about how all the drivers make the same once through progression. $32 an hour is good. But how good is dependent on where you live and the cost of living in the said area. That 32 an hour will pay for far less in NYC then it does is most area's. I am not advocating that I or others should make more or less then other drivers. Just stating that the buying power of a dollar in a major city and the surrounding burbs is far less then a lot of the areas around the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ms.PacMan

No - we do the same job.

Higher costs of living is the price you pay for living by the beach or in a big city with lots of ammenities.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingOFchester

Re: Should some of make more?

No - we do the same job.

Higher costs of living is the price you pay for living by the beach or in a big city with lots of ammenities.

Fair enough! Devils advocate would be that other professions have salaries that are higher in the larger urban area's then out in the boonies. Dr's, lawyers, Fast food workers to name a few.

over9five

Staff member

Don't we all have slightly different hourly wages across the country? If you feel your wage should be higher to compensate for where you live, couldn't this be addressed in your supplement?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Should some of make more?

My best friends dad actually makes like$ .50-.75 an hour more than me. His center isn't on the national contract. Some cities I thought got paid a little more. Nothing drastic but the contract is just a minimum amount they have to pay us.

kingOFchester

over, I do not have an answer to that. Maybe so. I was under the impression we all made 32 and change. I am not complaining and I am not advocating that. Was just curious as to what others may have thought.

I guess I could even take it a step further and suggest that buildings with long waits to go full time (heard numbers north of 10 year) they should have a quicker full time progression. I went full time shortly after 1 year. Just some thoughts.

trickpony1

Saw a post from Hoaxster. It made me think about how all the drivers make the same once through progression. $32 an hour is good. But how good is dependent on where you live and the cost of living in the said area. That 32 an hour will pay for far less in NYC then it does is most area's. I am not advocating that I or others should make more or less then other drivers. Just stating that the buying power of a dollar in a major city and the surrounding burbs is far less then a lot of the areas around the country.

Poor baby.
I'll trade my paltry $3000 a month pension (if I get it) for your and upstates $5000 a month pension.

over9five

Staff member

Poor baby.
I'll trade my paltry $3000 a month pension (if I get it) for your and upstates $5000 a month pension.
If they get it. Nothing's guaranteed if you have to wait. I imagine Obama and the "share the wealth" crowd drool thinking about all that pension AND 401k money....

Cementups

Box Monkey

No one makes you live in the high rent district. But yes, a dollar goes a lot further in Texas than it does in NYC.

kingOFchester

Poor baby.

trickpony, I think you need a recap of my first post. Looks like you missed the following "I am not advocating that I or others should make more or less then other drivers"

Those retiring in my building get FAR less then 5k. So please don't be so quick to state a false statement based on nothing.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Should some of make more?

Funny thing is I saw this brought up on here in the past. It was quickly shot down then and most likely will be now as well. Think about it though, in large part no occupation enjoys the same pay across all regions. A police officer in my town makes over 110 thousand dollars. I'm sure officers in Montana make half that if their lucky.
Were on here all spouting off about how much we all should care about each other. Put your money where your mouth is. We all know a driver in New York City lives a totally different life then a driver in Alabama. A house in my town that's a four bedroom 2100 square foot home will run you over 600.000 dollars depending on the neighborhood. If you want to rent, your looking at about $2500.
So say what you want about it, the fact is that it's not about "we all work hard", its about we all want to be compensated accordingly.

kingOFchester

No one makes you live in the high rent district. But yes, a dollar goes a lot further in Texas than it does in NYC.

So when a part timer complains that they have been waiting 10 years to go full time, an appropriate response could be " No one made you live in an area that has a 10 year wait to go full time."

Just to reiterate, I am not saying we should make more or part timers in a long wait building should get something in return. Just looking for some discussion.

Cementups

Box Monkey

So when a part timer complains that they have been waiting 10 years to go full time, an appropriate response could be " No one made you live in an area that has a 10 year wait to go full time."

Just to reiterate, I am not saying we should make more or part timers in a long wait building should get something in return. Just looking for some discussion.

NEver mind the geographic difference in pay. How does the guy with 25+ years feel about the guy with 3 years making the same amount as he does? Where's the "fairness" in that.

Cementups

Box Monkey

Brown was just pointing out that most careers have a salary that differs from one area to another, directly correlated to the cost of living in the said area.

I completely understand that. But just because a driver works in NYC doesn't mean he has to live in NYC.

bumped

You want to get paid more then note no on the new contract. It works for Chicago to get extra week of vacation. From reading this site there are some areas that get sick days(i don't). We max out at 7 weeks vacation and 2 personal days.

kingOFchester

NEver mind the geographic difference in pay. How does the guy with 25+ years feel about the guy with 3 years making the same amount as he does? Where's the "fairness" in that.

I would be game for a 3 year progression to current top rate. Then whatever the negotiated raises are. Then give an extra nickle or dime per full time year. Sign me up!