Should States Tax Internet Sales?

Should States Tax Internet Sales?

• Total voters

klein

Für Meno :)
I don't give a crap, don't pay state taxes. Just lay off more police, fire fighters and teachers, and forget infrastructure, too.
You don't need it. California going broke on it's on, they don't need to collect sales taxes.

I think everyone should be wise enough to shop online. and save taxes. Who needs neighborhood stores anyways ?
Won't be streets to drive on.

Atleast it was 1 way to collect state taxes by illegals, if they shopped locally, but they are probably smart now, too, and shop online.

Btw, I owe over $1000 in income taxes.....for last year, even though I didn't work and didn't have any income sources, but my own.
That's ok, I rather live in a financial secure country, then states and the Nation going bankrupt, because no one wants to pay taxes.

The day is near : "United States of Greece" !
That's the price pay when the average US household owns $548.000 in national debt, plus whatever the State has in debt.

In a way, I do hope that the republican party wins the next election, since most of them are considering even more tax cuts.
They better hope the Chinese play the game along, unlike the EU with Greece.

P

pickup

I don't give a crap, don't pay state taxes. Just lay off more police, fire fighters and teachers, and forget infrastructure, too.
You don't need it. California going broke on it's on, they don't need to collect sales taxes.

I think everyone should be wise enough to shop online. and save taxes. Who needs neighborhood stores anyways ?
Won't be streets to drive on.

Atleast it was 1 way to collect state taxes by illegals, if they shopped locally, but they are probably smart now, too, and shop online.

Btw, I owe over $1000 in income taxes.....for last year, even though I didn't work and didn't have any income sources, but my own.
That's ok, I rather live in a financial secure country, then states and the Nation going bankrupt, because no one wants to pay taxes.

The day is near : "United States of Greece" !
That's the price pay when the average US household owns $548.000 in national debt, plus whatever the State has in debt.

In a way, I do hope that the republican party wins the next election, since most of them are considering even more tax cuts.
They better hope the Chinese play the game along, unlike the EU with Greece.

Boy, you sure told us off.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Shopping online is only efficient when it's free shipping. I refuse to order anything unless I get free shipping. At Amazon, I always spend more than $25 to get the free shipping. Only way to go.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't forget, Friday (24th) is the big day (Quebec Nt'l Day). Looking forward to the announcement of earnings from the hot dog cart.

There is a sign in our building for the metro shift in regard to St Jean Baptiste Day (6/24). I have a feeling there will be a lot of layoffs on that shift as Canada will be closed that day. We process a lot of freight from Canada in my center, mostly RTA furniture from Walmart.com.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Ever hear of "level playing field"? The internet sites are not "brick and mortar" which is small business. It's bad enough that Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. are killing the little guy on strength of volume pricing, but the Internet sales and "free shipping" is the ultimate nail in the coffin. Big business got big bucks from the government and the little businesses get to struggle with paying the utilities, employees that want and need wages to pay their utilities, etc. Meanwhile, the Internet shoppers buy junk they don't need that comes from China in containers bound for large distribution centers and blame the government for the conditions. It is obviously an "all about me" society. "If I can get it cheap, then it's good for me. I'll then blame everyone else for poor management". I say YES to Internet sales tax until a better plan is developed to help the little guys. BUY LOCAL!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
(Pssst....it's not really free. It's built in to the price.)

I just got my K-Cups from Macy's, paid no shipping at $9.99 for box of 18. That's better than the price of K-Cups at Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohls, Denaults and other stores. So if shipping is built in than so be it because it was cheaper than anywhere else.!!

klein

There is a sign in our building for the metro shift in regard to St Jean Baptiste Day (6/24). I have a feeling there will be a lot of layoffs on that shift as Canada will be closed that day. We process a lot of freight from Canada in my center, mostly RTA furniture from Walmart.com.

6/24 is not a holiday here, maybe in Quebec, but it's not a national Holiday.
That's 1 week later - July 1st - Canada Day !

Ever hear of "level playing field"? The internet sites are not "brick and mortar" which is small business. It's bad enough that Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc. are killing the little guy on strength of volume pricing, but the Internet sales and "free shipping" is the ultimate nail in the coffin. Big business got big bucks from the government and the little businesses get to struggle with paying the utilities, employees that want and need wages to pay their utilities, etc. Meanwhile, the Internet shoppers buy junk they don't need that comes from China in containers bound for large distribution centers and blame the government for the conditions. It is obviously an "all about me" society. "If I can get it cheap, then it's good for me. I'll then blame everyone else for poor management". I say YES to Internet sales tax until a better plan is developed to help the little guys. BUY LOCAL!!

But for one second take into account that some people live where there is no LOCAL. If you have a several hour drive to get to the nearest town then your buddies in brown or purple are your local.

rod

Retired 22 years
No tax on internet sales. If Amazon can sell stuff cheaper than Walmart or Target or anybody else and still offer free shipping then all that tells me is that everybody else is charging too much. I like to get the most bang out of my buck by any means possible------ other that shopping at Wallyworld. I hate Wallyworld. Amazon.com rules.

klein

No tax on internet sales. If Amazon can sell stuff cheaper than Walmart or Target or anybody else and still offer free shipping then all that tells me is that everybody else is charging too much. I like to get the most bang out of my buck by any means possible------ other that shopping at Wallyworld. I hate Wallyworld. Amazon.com rules.

Maybe they need to charge more, because they actually have a store, pay property taxes, wages, and power, etc.
Ofcourse the overhead is much more operating a store, then a internet warehouse !

I hope everyone shops online. Gives UPS more business, and cities & states out of business and work !

P

pickup

Maybe they need to charge more, because they actually have a store, pay property taxes, wages, and power, etc.
Ofcourse the overhead is much more operating a store, then a internet warehouse !

I hope everyone shops online. Gives UPS more business, and cities & states out of business and work !

Who cares about what you hope for?

DS

Fenderbender

This makes no sense at all to me.
What are you attempting to say?
All the malls in America attract hungry shoppers every day,including Canadians,so what if they decide to pay 2 bucks more ?
You want them to fail?

bartmuley

I see the poll has taken a turn to the no side.
Well, atleast make it fair then, and get rid of sales taxes all together !

Who cares about the State and National debts ? May the future pay for it all !

How about cutting spending before raising taxes one more dime? The average person already pays enough in taxes. More than enough. Raising taxes at this point is like a bankrupt family going out and getting 3rd jobs just so they can keep buying new cars and bigger TVs or other luxury items. If we cut spending we won't have to raise taxes, or the debt limit. Of course the very people this would affect (the govt) doesn't want this and since they control taxes it's not going to happen. To many fat cops, politicians, bureaucrats, govt employees etc are sucking the govt's teat for there to be real change. But the time has come to face reality.

If we keep going the way we're going there isn't going to be a country for the future to pay for.

bbsam

Staff member
By definition taxes are too low if we can't pay the obligations thats our elected officials have agreed to.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes to taxes. If we abolish the current tax code and go to user tax system of some type, it would be a heck of a lot more fair to the average Joe.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
States like California (like where I live) have to find revenue sources. Property Tax revenue is drying up as homeowners default. The largest loss of revenue is Property tax. When you have an expansion like the false expansion of the Bush administration (housing) the associated infrastructure has to increase as well. Courts, police, fire, water, power, sewage have to be created. The property taxes estimated to be collected from these new homes sales was the revenue to pay for these resources.

Once the housing boom goes bust, and property taxes are not paid, infrastructure still needs to be paid. That revenue has to come out of other sources of revenue.

However, once a recession hits, more revenue streams dry up. Sales taxes, which should be the second largest revenue stream, dries up as consumers spend less and sales taxes go uncollected.

Auto sales from 2007 to 2009 sunk to all time lows (during bush) and that revenue stream dried up. The state, trying to plug holes in the budget from all the dried up revenue streams had to raise our state sales tax in order to shore up the shortfalls.

Internet sales has taught californians to "evade" sales taxes by purchasing out of state via the internet and that is drying up another source of revenue. As that happens, the state is forced to find other sources of revenue.

From gasoline, to fast food, to groceries, to haircuts.... the state is looking for revenue from new taxes that californians cant evade. When this happens, the state will have no choice but to take away loopholes in the tax codes or raise sales taxes once again. Raising sales taxes again makes everyone angry, but if we just paid internet tax, there would be no need to raise taxes again.

What people dont understand is "unintended consequences". The loss of revenue in our state is reaching a critical point.

California expanded during bush, and now its forced to contract. That contraction is hurting our state and the more "we" short our state on taxes, the worst it will get for everyone.

Simply saying "cuts" is the answer, isnt the answer. The choices are simple, CUT DEEP and put the state into economic freefall again or raise tax revenue and save our state.

Those who believe cuts save the day, dont understand basic economics of a state.

Peace.