Should The Next Contract Address "Scabs?"

Overpaid Union Thug

We are not scabs, because a lot of us are only PT and working less then 20 hours a week $25.00 may not be a lot to you who is FT and making over $80-$100k a year. And if you live in my state "A Right to Work " we have the freedom not to join the union. A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union with no back lash. So please do not call me or anyone else who may not be able to afford the dues. I am thankful
that you can not move me down the seniority ladder. Someday when I am a full timer, I will join.
You are a feeloading scab. Most of us would tell you that a newer part-timer (new hire-two years) shouldn't have to join. But a career part-timer? No excuse.

UPS4Life

I think PTers should be given the option of a higher wage in lieu of benefits.
In addition to joining the union? Somebody said in an earlier post maybe not have part timers pay Union dues. I would be ok with that for the first year then when you get benefits you join the union. (My local pt get benefits after a year)

Another question; in a RTW state can scabs vote on the contract?

Sent using BrownCafe App

In addition to joining the union? Somebody said in an earlier post maybe not have part timers pay Union dues. I would be ok with that for the first year then when you get benefits you join the union. (My local pt get benefits after a year)

Sent using BrownCafe App
No they can't

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Sent using BrownCafe App
Only if they are in the Union.
Go look up the meaning of scab.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are a feeloading scab. Most of us would tell you that a newer part-timer (new hire-two years) shouldn't have to join. But a career part-timer? No excuse.
When the Union, controlled by scabbing Full-timers keep their part-timer brothers and sisters battered down?
The Teamster's via pressure from Full-timers have kept the part-timer second class citizens, nay little more than slaves.

rod

Retired 22 years
Now you can relate to part-timers getting shafted all those years by full-timers voting "Yes" while part-timers got shafted contract after contract.

Part timers have only themselves to blame. Look at their dismal voting history. As the largest group of employees at UPS they could easily write their own ticket if they ever organized. Unfortunately they can easily be bought off with a small raise here or a trinket there or mostly just because they don't care enough to get involved.

UPS4Life

Only if they are in the Union.
Go look up the meaning of scab.
I know what a scab is but if your going to battle against the union I'm going to continue calling you a scab whether we're in a strike or not.

So the union is saving you 300$/month and you can't give them a little money for the support they give you?
You would probably pay more in a month for health insurance than you would towards dues all year.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would consider a career part-timer after 20 years of employment.
At how many years do you consider a part-timer to be a career part-timer?
When they make as much as a full-timer? I'll go with that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know what a scab is but if your going to battle against the union I'm going to continue calling you a scab whether we're in a strike or not.
I am not battling against the Union.
I fully support Unions and especially the concept of collective bargaining.
The same governmental laws that provide the right for individual workers to organize into a Union provide for RTW laws by state.
I am a proud American and support Unions and buying American made goods and services.

Ron Carey lives on

In some locals (89) part timers dues have been lowered to reflect the amount of hours they work. RTW to work was not created to save you money, it was created to take away a collective voice on the job. Think about it

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

They become a career employee the moment they decide to make it a career. Working for 20 years (or any lengthy amount of time) with the pay, benefits, and other perks that the union ensures are available without contributing to the pot of funds required by the union to help fight for such perks makes such a person a freeloading scab to the bone.

UPS4Life

20 years!?!?!?

I wouldn't say a career part timer but somebody who is going to make ups a career. There are the few who say I'm going to make a quick buck maybe join for college in and out within a COUPLE years.

If you're seriously here more than two years and don't know what you're doing then you need to make up your mind. Hell i haven't been here ten years and I pay dues. Or is that because I'm full time?

Where do you draw the line because obviously 20 years part time is ridiculous. Can't live off part time alone? Such a shame I don't know anyone who can live off of 20-25 hours a week. Start working doubles or get a second job.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPS4Life

Photog this isn't bash towards you but I'm just debating my case as you are yours. My problem is if we get too many people free loading off the union why will people want to join? Once UPS realizes enough people aren't participating they're going to bait you and and when we get rid of the union everyone will get the shaft in some way or another. My guess is health care and wages first.
Look at Walmart for example. They're just now paying 10$ an hour. I use to work there. It was very difficult to become full time. It's even worse when the company holds you at 33 34 hours just under the full time criteria. Why does Walmart want the unions kept out so badly?

Sent using BrownCafe App

20 years!?!?!?

I wouldn't say a career part timer but somebody who is going to make ups a career. There are the few who say I'm going to make a quick buck maybe join for college in and out within a COUPLE years.

If you're seriously here more than two years and don't know what you're doing then you need to make up your mind. Hell i haven't been here ten years and I pay dues. Or is that because I'm full time?

Where do you draw the line because obviously 20 years part time is ridiculous. Can't live off part time alone? Such a shame I don't know anyone who can live off of 20-25 hours a week. Start working doubles or get a second job.

Sent using BrownCafe App
If you can't live off of $40,000+ a year you need some financial counseling. Do the math, $33hr X 25 hours a week. Plus with all the seniority you can pick up extra work doubling or working Air. Try closer to $70K working PT.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
They become a career employee the moment they decide to make it a career. Working for 20 years (or any lengthy amount of time) with the pay, benefits, and other perks that the union ensures are available without contributing to the pot of funds required by the union to help fight for such perks makes such a person a freeloading scab to the bone.
My point exactly ... some part-timers may take many years to make their mind up as whether to make UPS a career or not. Some P/T may have another career job/profession and UPS is just extra money ... albeit not much compared to Full-Time Drivers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Of course, all this jibber-jabber is just that.
The Union cannot do anything about UPSers that don't join the Union in RTW states.
I have enjoyed this thread though and it's an interesting insight to the Union mindset, even though many of these people profess a love for freedom and obeying the law and the Teamster-UPS contract.