Should UPS drivers be allowed to have beards?

Should drivers be allowed to have beards?

• Total voters

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
One of the things that has always annoyed me at UPS is that we are glued to these guidelines that were produced in the early part of the 20th century. I mean, seriously, times have changed. Nobody gives a rat's ass if the dude delivering their packages has a beard or tattoos or a nose-ring or whatever. It's time for UPS to realize that Jim Casey is dead. It's 2007 for cryin out loud.

civilrightsfighter

UPS Civil Rights Fighter
Good News for beard loving people especially who want to grow their beard for religious reasons. This issue is being taken care of by EEOC, so you will be hearing breaking news soon. No company policy or No one is above the law. I see people with beard working for USPS, but I haven't seen anyone stopped using USPS because of that or people lost trust on USPS.

And people who voted for "NO. Only Animals have hair on their face" must know, when Jesus returns he would have a grown beard as well, so are you going stop following him because of his beard? All the leaders of world's great religions, like Judaism, Christianity and Islam had beard.

What would be the next thing, UPS or companies are going to ask their employees to shave their legs and keep them shiny in order to wear shorts? :lol:

Last edited:
During contract talks, I always try to get something in about us being able to sport beards. I started as a driver when I was 25(18 years ago) and having to shave off my beard is still painful. :wink:It's hard for men who aren't "beard people" to understand. I am also one of those fools who wears shorts when it's 25 degrees. They're more comfortable and always get a positive response from the customers.

upsdavz

As a feeder driver in the north there is a reason for wearing shorts.......... Chaining up 50 plus times a year, it's easier to just dry off with a towel than sit in wet pants all day...LOL

upsdude

As a feeder driver in the north there is a reason for wearing shorts.......... Chaining up 50 plus times a year, it's easier to just dry off with a towel than sit in wet pants all day...LOL

So you're saying feeder drivers wet their pants?:lol::lol:

Just kidding!

local804

There was a guy from fedex a few years back that actually was in a lawsuit against Fedex and won to keep his beard. I dont hink fedex approves of beards but the Judge did. Judges decision>Fedex. Dont know too much more about it but remeber reading it. I think im too sexy without a beard anywa.

Cole

I have seen several fed ex ground drivers with full beards, and fed ex drivers w/ goatees, etc...and at the rate our managers complain about our competition, obviousley it doesn't effect customers.

It should be a choice.

In my old center a guy was able to have a beard because shaving caused his face to have bumps and ingrown hairs. Anyone heard of this? He came in with a stylish shave one day. You know the kind with thin lines that come down from the sideburns. The center manager took him off road for lieing. How can you complain about razor burn then shave half your face?

Cole

Race-vette I'll make any comment I please there buddy, and could care less if anyone agrees or not. ;) Whether you like it or not, it's a childish rule, and has 0 effect on customers.

raceanoncr

Race-vette I'll make any comment I please there buddy, and could care less if anyone agrees or not. ;) Whether you like it or not, it's a childish rule, and has 0 effect on customers.

Cole, wasn't tryin to dis ya here, if that's what you think. I agree, it IS a childish rule but a company has a right to establish appearance rules if they want to.

When I first came here, almost 30 yrs ago, I was happy that I found a company that cared about their appearance, washed trucks, neat drivers, etc. I was told, at the time, "We don't do any advertising. YOU are our advertising". I took that seriously.

Well, now, that, obviously has changed. Trucks are NOT washed. The buildings are more desheveled. Yards are unkempt. On and on. I am now ashamed to drive some of the junk we are forced to drive. But, you know what? For $27.735 PH/.6361 PM, I guess I'd drive a motorized skateboard. They want me to cut my hair, I will. They want me to not grow a beard, I will not grow a beard, (grew one whilst on disability some yrs back down to my chin and didn't like it, also hair in a pony tail down to mid back, didn't like that either). They want me to wear a Tutu, I will. Now, pay me $10 PH, it's a different story.

That's just my feeling, is all.

civilrightsfighter

UPS Civil Rights Fighter
I heard from union stewards that someone in Dallas, TX UPS Hub has been granted permission to drive package car with a full beard on, on religious bases and he is going be driving in a month or two.

:thumbup1: