Should UPS drivers be allowed to have beards?

Should drivers be allowed to have beards?

• Total voters

Sammie

When I see a guy with a well groomed beard, I think he looks
dignified and important.

But UPS equates bearded men to shipwreck survivors and people
who’ve been raised by wolves.

Would the public really mind the person in brown who’s a little
earthy and in touch with nature rather than a stiff, unnatural robot?
Probably not!

And heck, if it can make Al Gore look bearable, what the hay?

UPS Lifer

Customers don't give a rats butt whether UPS drivers have a beard or not, they want their pkgs timely and in good conditions. Whoever can do that at a reasonable price will get the business regardless of what the driver looks like.

I never heard them complain about the postman with their beards and long hair.

I am sure there are a few customers who would agree with you however, UPS has a reputation and it comes through in the media loud and clear when women swoon over "The sexy UPS men!" I am not trying to be sexist here...we are talking about beards!!!... It is the whole "package" (no pun intended) that creates this image and has caught on like a wild fire for all the UPS drivers (including the women) out there.

I can't image anyone who wears the UPS uniform not enjoying that!!!:thumbup1:

Sorry, I have never heard of a "postman" referred to as the "world's sexiest"!!!

christopher85

I've driven for UPS part time for four years. During that time I also drove for DHL for a short while. Here's what I found out. Everyone else in the industry hates UPS, and not because we're more successful. UPS drivers have a reputation for being grumpy, mean, militaristic types who are overworked and always in a hurry. I've heard a lot of customers comment on this as well. People call UPS the "boot camp" of delivery services. So at least in this respect the clean shaven thing is actually hurting us. I really don't think that in this day, any customer is going to make their decision of whether or not to use our service v. the competition based on whether we have facial hair. And even if I'm wrong, too bad! UPS will just have to deal with it. I'm a lutheran and I wish to grow a neatly kept beard as a symbol of my faith. Yeah, look it up people. Am I required to? No, but that shouldn't matter because I have the constitutional right to worship how I see fit. And if that doesn't work I'm getting a note from my doctor. All you people who say, "you knew the rules when you got hired so why don't you just go work somewhere else?" That's erroneous. Employers don't have the right to make any rule they wish. That's why we have unions, and more important the EEOC. Because if it were up to UPS we would all be sporting brown and gold swastikas, and working for minimum wage because "it's what's best for the company." Please! Anyone who isn't in the military and thinks you should have to be clean shaven is a bitter old tyrant. Or a woman who doesn't like the thought of her husband's prickly kisses!

ups1990

Taking into consideration that we have a few drivers that are about five foot nothing and weigh 250lbs. A long beard on these fellows would make them trolls.

Midwest96

As the poll indicated should we allow a neatly trimmed beard, or maybe just a goatee. The problem I see is that a majority of the people will keep a good looking professional appearance. Others will have it not look professional at all and then we'll get into either having unprofessional looking service providers or UPS will become the beard police which they don't want. I've seen drivers in some centers wear their shorts on days it is incredibly cold and the weather forecasters are warning people of frostbite. It used to be no UPS driver (at least up in the North, could wear shorts) Now that shorts are allowed, we get the problem of people wearing them and looking unprofessional due to the weather outside. Why allow this, when some people ruin it for others. It's a lot easier just to keep the rule at no beards.

Agree, there are few people out there that will go to the extreme and ruin it for the rest of us. For example: we have a couple female drivers in the building that rolled up their shorts or wear shorts that were at least 2 size smaller than decency. None of the mgmt guys dared to address it, maybe they enjoyed the view too much or they didn't want to appear to discriminate against the female, since there are male drivers that rolled up their shorts and their sleeves all over the building. I understand the need for vainglory among drivers, but we all should have a common sense to know the different between obscence and decent.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
There's a lady driver in our building that has some semblance of a goatee.
To my knowledge nothing has been said about it...at least not to her "face".

Brownish

Besides Legal department approved religious beard exemptions, UPS also recognizes a condition called PFB (Polyfolliculitis barbae) which is a specific medical condition that results in the ingrown hair problem - and it almost always applies to some African Americans only. There's a formal process through corporate HR to get a beard exemption approved for it, including needing a doctor's certification that PFB is the diagnosed medical issue. Doesn't mean the guy can wear a long thick beard, it has to be kept trimmed very short, but at least they recognize it's a bona fide medical issue. I only know one guy with the exemption. I don't know if it applies to all business units, but if it's your specific problem, it shouldn't hurt to ask your HR.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Beards - mustache - goatee - long hair down to my ass in a ponytail or tucked up under a hat(total UPS hypocrisy that a woman driver can have long hair and not a guy) - should all fly at this point. UPS needs to get with the times. Hair doesnt make someone unprofessional. The customer doesn't care about your hair - they just want their packages. Also standard issue uniforms suck too and need an overhaul.

christopher85

Taking into consideration that we have a few drivers that are about five foot nothing and weigh 250lbs. A long beard on these fellows would make them trolls.

Why do people keep bringing up long, unkept beards as if they are relevant to this conversation? What's with the references to ZZ Top? That's not what we're talking about here people.

NHDRVR

A guy in our center has a medical exemption that allows his to grow a beard when he feels it's necessary. (a type of skin condition) I don't see the big deal myself. I itch like hell the 2nd week I have it...

A guy in our center has a medical exemption that allows his to grow a beard when he feels it's necessary. (a type of skin condition) I don't see the big deal myself. I itch like hell the 2nd week I have it...
Daily shampoo and a little hair oil will take care of that itch.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Bryl-creem, you'll look so debonair.
Bryl-creem, the gals will all pursue ya,
They'll love to RUN their fingers through your hair.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The professional image of UPS would probably suffer if beards were allowed, just as ours did. I'm usually anti-management, but a lot of our personnel look like scruffy vagrants because the grooming standards (for beards) aren't enforced. Some people look good with them, but a lot don't.