Should Upstate Bid a 22.3 Job? (On Topic--please)

Would you consider taking a 22.3 job shortly before retiring?

• Total voters

Ghost in the Darkness

If you are good with the shift hours and you don't mind having to work those air holidays that they have sign up sheets for then go for it. I know you say you volunteer most of those "extra" work days anyway then its probably right up your alley.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Loading jobs are not easy.

If you can do that pace for about 4 hours (off peak), then that could be the job for you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have decided to take the 22.3 job. I will be working from 1300-2145 processing Internationals. I was supposed to start on the 14th but that has been pushed back until the 28th as they are still trying to figure out if the training will be done "in house" or if they will bring a supervisor up from Albany to train me. From what I have been told, there is a great deal of computer training followed up by hands on training, which will then get me to the point where I will be working on my own.

I went back and forth on this for about a week and have to admit that I am still a bit uncertain. The pay is $28.84/hr, which is a few pennies less than a $4/hr pay cut. Keep in mind that we had to divert a couple of our pay raises from the 2008-13 contract to try to save our failing pension and that our top rate now is $32.82/hr. With the split raise 8/1 I will be over $29/hr for what is essentially a clerical position.

Every one of the senior guys told me that they sat down with their spouses and "did the math" to see if the move was worth it, which speaks volumes about the current atmosphere at UPS. Most of them work a lot more OT than I do so in their case it wasn't. One guy told me he would have lost almost $20K/yr. There was one driver who has a screen printing business on the side who would have taken the job but that the hours did not work for him.

Our PDS met me on road last week to pick up an off-area misload and asked me why I decided to take the job. I told him that it was getting more difficult to get motivated to go in to work each day.

It is not that I can no longer do the job. I still average an hour under each day and am the "go to" guy if someone needs help. It's just that after 27 years of doing this it is time for a change.

It will be nice to only have to worry about driving to and from work. It will be nice to no longer have to deal with the elements or with the ever increasing physical demands and levels of scrutiny.

As many of you know, our pension fund is dealing with a great deal of uncertainty and I am coming to the realization that my plans of retiring on 7/18 may have to be put on hold. While it is my hope that I will be able to retire as planned, I also hope that I will enjoy this new job in the event that I am forced to work longer than I would like.

I'd like to thank everyone for their thoughts and opinions on this topic. Dave.

Future

Victory Ride
I have decided to take the 22.3 job. I will be working from 1300-2145 processing Internationals. I was supposed to start on the 14th but that has been pushed back until the 28th as they are still trying to figure out if the training will be done "in house" or if they will bring a supervisor up from Albany to train me. From what I have been told, there is a great deal of computer training followed up by hands on training, which will then get me to the point where I will be working on my own.

I went back and forth on this for about a week and have to admit that I am still a bit uncertain. The pay is $28.84/hr, which is a few pennies less than a $4/hr pay cut. Keep in mind that we had to divert a couple of our pay raises from the 2008-13 contract to try to save our failing pension and that our top rate now is $32.82/hr. With the split raise 8/1 I will be over $29/hr for what is essentially a clerical position.

Every one of the senior guys told me that they sat down with their spouses and "did the math" to see if the move was worth it, which speaks volumes about the current atmosphere at UPS. Most of them work a lot more OT than I do so in their case it wasn't. One guy told me he would have lost almost $20K/yr. There was one driver who has a screen printing business on the side who would have taken the job but that the hours did not work for him.

Our PDS met me on road last week to pick up an off-area misload and asked me why I decided to take the job. I told him that it was getting more difficult to get motivated to go in to work each day.

It is not that I can no longer do the job. I still average an hour under each day and am the "go to" guy if someone needs help. It's just that after 27 years of doing this it is time for a change.

It will be nice to only have to worry about driving to and from work. It will be nice to no longer have to deal with the elements or with the ever increasing physical demands and levels of scrutiny.

As many of you know, our pension fund is dealing with a great deal of uncertainty and I am coming to the realization that my plans of retiring on 7/18 may have to be put on hold. While it is my hope that I will be able to retire as planned, I also hope that I will enjoy this new job in the event that I am forced to work longer than I would like.

Next bid if you decide this position is not for you.....can you re- bid a driving position? These 22.3 jobs are not up for bid to full time drivers in our building.....kind of sucks

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Next bid if you decide this position is not for you.....can you re- bid a driving position? These 22.3 jobs are not up for bid to full time drivers in our building.....kind of sucks

Yes which is why I plan to keep my DOT card current"just in case".

This was the only 22.3 job that we (FTers) were allowed to bid on.

oldngray

nowhere special
There aren't nearly enough 22.3 jobs available for all the people who want them. If you can get one to make your last few years easier before retiring thats great but only a few are that lucky. I think the pupose for those jobs has completely flipped from creating opportunities for part timers to get a combo job to retirement slots for worn out drivers.

Consider how it would be to get news about your pension changing after you retired and had made plans accordingly. Just before you retire with a chance to jump on a 22.3 job is like winning the lottery.

upschuck

There aren't nearly enough 22.3 jobs available for all the people who want them. If you can get one to make your last few years easier before retiring thats great but only a few are that lucky. I think the pupose for those jobs has completely flipped from creating opportunities for part timers to get a combo job to retirement slots for worn out drivers.

Consider how it would be to get news about your pension changing after you retired and had made plans accordingly. Just before you retire with a chance to jump on a 22.3 job is like winning the lottery.
It does create jobs for PTers. Just indirectly sometimes

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

Why didnt you file on the PDS doing hourly work? he threw money on the ground and you stepped over it.considering the paycut it would have made a nice easy bonus

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yesterday was my first day working on the inside and I have to admit that I was exhausted by the time I got home.

The first half of the shift was spent working in the "cage", which is where they keep the International holds. We move all of the "released" packages from the "cage" to the belt to be sorted. We then scan all of the remaining packages in the "cage" to see if any have been "released" and move those to the belt. At that point we move up to the sort to scan inbound freight, sending the "released" to the chutes to be sorted and the "holds" to the cage for processing. This was by far the more physical part of the job.

The second half of the shift was spent in the "tower" processing inbound Internationals. We scanned each package and made sure that the paperwork, if any, was correct. EDI's are the easiest to process----scan the package, review the information on the computer screen, process the package. Packages with commercial invoices are a bit more involved and there are different rules based upon the destination country. I am extremely fortunate in that they brought back the 22.3 who had retired from this position as a consultant to train me. She will be here for two weeks and it is up to me to take advantage of this time to learn as much as I can.

My first impressions when I got home last night were that I may have made a mistake in bidding this position as the learning curve appears to be quite steep but I think (hope) that those feelings will lessen the more that I become comfortable with what I am doing.

upschuck

Here, you have 30 days to dq yourself and go back to original position. Give it some time, first day driving, you probably thought the same thing.