Should we be somewhat worried?

S

selfcancelsignal

The other day at our local university, I picked up 12 parcels. Speedee, another regional parcel delivery service in the Midwest had 3 pretty big carts full of parcels to pick up.

Fed Ex Ground volume seems to be way up.

Ours seems to be continuing to grow as well though.

At what point does UPS need to cool it with the rate increases for regular business customers though? There's a pretty decent sized increase each year & I just wonder when these businesses won't stand for it anymore.? I remember at my old job, the boss was always bitching about it, but nothing was ever done, & they still use UPS to ship out to my knowledge.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ground matches our rate increases penny for penny which keeps their (non discounted) rates about 10% below ours.

Did you put sales leads in to try to get that volume back? It may be tough, especially if the school in question is a state school, but it is worth a try.

The bottom line is our operating costs make it tough for us to remain competitive with Ground and local carriers.

Resident know-it-all.

Indecisi0n

I have to say that we scored a pretty secure job. With the internet (online sales) and our normal shipping requests company's like UPS and FedEx aren't going anywhere for a long time.

worldwide

Ground matches our rate increases penny for penny which keeps their (non discounted) rates about 10% below ours.

Resident know-it-all.

Although FedEx Ground typically does match the UPS ground rate change, FedEx Ground Standard rates and UPS ground Daily pickup published rates for any package shipment under 70 lbs are identical. Over 70 lbs, FedEx Ground package rates are $0.05 less per package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

REA also thought they were invincible and also thought that losing a portion of their market share was "acceptable" because volume kept increasing.

Do I think we are going anywhere anytime soon? Of course not-----volume and profits are at record levels; however, unless the wage discrepancy between ourselves and Ground is addressed, small package may soon become just another division with United Parcel Service, Inc.

Johney

Come on!
People are willing to pay extra,for smashed boxes!
Smashed boxes are just the tip of the iceberg. Businesses(same) deliveries delivered at 11:00 on Monday,4:00 on Tuesday,missed on Wednesday. I remember when customers could set their watch by my arrival time.Now who shows up and when is a spin of the wheel of dispatch. Lear jet for late airs. The list goes on and on.

Smashed boxes are just the tip of the iceberg. Businesses(same) deliveries delivered at 11:00 on Monday,4:00 on Tuesday,missed on Wednesday. I remember when customers could set their watch by my arrival time.Now who shows up and when is a spin of the wheel of dispatch. Lear jet for late airs. The list goes on and on.
That was the main reason we kept our customers.
I used to have several customers tell me,we are willing to pay a little extra for that service.

Dont hear them saying that anymore!