Should we be somewhat worried?

upschuck

To all these people who think that these regionals are just regional, UPS used to be just regional. I don't like seeing any volume going to carriers other than UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I wouldn't know the 1st thing about sales leads. They don't teach you that shizz anymore, + when is there time to friend--- with that?

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

I have two that are actively being worked and two others that I just got paid for. There is time during the day to submit sales leads.

Resident know-it-all.

barnyard

KTM rider
Why would employees want to join a Union to make minimum wages and no benefits? Maybe the Teamsters need to look in the mirror.

I do not think that is really it.

Spee Dee drivers, the drivers, not the PT loaders/unloaders, have rejected unionization twice since I have been at UPS. They make about half what we do.

upschuck

The other day I had to track a package on fedex.com and I noticed their top banner said that FedEx Ground was faster to more locations than UPS Ground. Or something like that. Now that is a damn shame.
I ship decent sized boxes monthly, and if it weren't for the UPS discount, (UPS dimwt 49lbs, FedEx dimwt 50+) FedEx would beat our transit times and our rates by about $20/box. shameful

barnyard

KTM rider
I sell stuff through another forum and on ebay. I ship a few times a month and signed up for an account. Just having an account qualifies for a pretty big discount. The difference between retail and the account discount is enough that it is a profit center for me.

barnyard

KTM rider
I didn't know that. I knew they make about half as much per hour.

I talked to a lot of drivers during the 2nd card check dealio. It was absolutely mind-numbing to listen to some of them tell me why they were not interested. They are getting everything they deserve.

They are pretty much required to load their trucks off the clock. Their preload stacks their packages behind the trucks and drivers load it where they want it in the trucks. Their start time is 8a and they are expected to be leaving their building at 8:15. If you clock in at 8a every day, you will be fired because it takes close to an hour to load up the truck.

Nope, they do not need a union.

Freakin idiots.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Why not Unionize FedEx and bring them up to our level?
'Cause their quitting FedEx and joining UPS. The last 3 or 4 outside hires we've had in our building are FedEx Ground drivers. Word's out that we're hiring and their drivers are lining up to fill the positions. Management love this. They already know what the job entails, they know how to run a route, and they already have area knowledge. The biggest problem is their safety awareness sucks ass.

MAKAVELI

I would think FedEx Ground would be easier to Unionize.
You would have to organize each contractors drivers independently. Then all management has to do is terminate any contractor who allows his drivers to organize. I feel Express drivers at this point would vote a union in. But under the RLA , the teamsters would have to organize us nationally which would require a monumental effort and resources.

barnyard

KTM rider
We get our outside hires from a regional service. Same thing though, they already know route work and have area knowledge, some even know what doors to deliver to.

barnyard

KTM rider
I feel Express drivers at this point would vote a union in.

I think you are wrong there.

You have to figure that most in a RTW state will vote against, then you have to figure that less than half will even vote. Even when organizing terminal by terminal, many terminals would vote against.

Organizing is so much harder than you can imagine.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have two that are actively being worked and two others that I just got paid for. There is time during the day to submit sales leads.

Resident know-it-all.
Our center quit when dozens of leads came back "invalid number". Then magically a few months later were daily pick ups. Supposedly soley because of our sales team.

wayfair

swollen member
They are pretty much required to load their trucks off the clock. Their preload stacks their packages behind the trucks and drivers load it where they want it in the trucks. Their start time is 8a and they are expected to be leaving their building at 8:15. If you clock in at 8a every day, you will be fired because it takes close to an hour to load up the truck.

Nope, they do not need a union.

Freakin idiots.

A friend of mine works home delivery during winter months/peak, he doesn't get paid by the hour.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am referring to Spee Dee Delivery drivers. They are paid by the hour and required to work off the clock. They are a midwestern regional carrier. Their drivers have tried to organize twice and failed to get enough signatures both times.

MAKAVELI

I think you are wrong there.

You have to figure that most in a RTW state will vote against, then you have to figure that less than half will even vote. Even when organizing terminal by terminal, many terminals would vote against.

Organizing is so much harder than you can imagine.
If you worked at Express then you would understand that we would vote for a union. The problem is, getting to a vote. Under the NLRA it could be done locally. Station by station. Under the RLA , it's all or nothing. I never said it would be easy. Only that it would take a campaign like no other in history.

By The Book

'Cause their quitting FedEx and joining UPS. The last 3 or 4 outside hires we've had in our building are FedEx Ground drivers. Word's out that we're hiring and their drivers are lining up to fill the positions. Management love this. They already know what the job entails, they know how to run a route, and they already have area knowledge. The biggest problem is their safety awareness sucks ass.
If they're like the fed x ground guys I see they can't seem to turn the engine off while delivering. A lot of record while idles.

MAKAVELI

I am referring to Spee Dee Delivery drivers. They are paid by the hour and required to work off the clock. They are a midwestern regional carrier. Their drivers have tried to organize twice and failed to get enough signatures both times.
A class action lawsuit would put an end to that. We have had a few here at Express. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center quit when dozens of leads came back "invalid number". Then magically a few months later were daily pick ups. Supposedly soley because of our sales team.

I keep track of them on upsers and will bring things like you mentioned to their attention and will make sure i get credit for any sold lead that I submitted.

Resident know-it-all.

By The Book

If you worked at Express then you would understand that we would vote for a union. The problem is, getting to a vote. Under the NLRA it could be done locally. Station by station. Under the RLA , it's all or nothing. I never said it would be easy. Only that it would take a campaign like no other in history.
If current trends continue ups may not have to, I mean with all of their drivers going to work for ups now. No organizing needed.