Should we be somewhat worried?

PT Car Washer

I think you are wrong there.

You have to figure that most in a RTW state will vote against, then you have to figure that less than half will even vote. Even when organizing terminal by terminal, many terminals would vote against.

Organizing is so much harder than you can imagine.
I don't know why you would say most in a RTW state would vote no. I work in a RTW state where being in the Union is a choice and almost all FT and a large majority of PT are Union members.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
If they're like the fed x ground guys I see they can't seem to turn the engine off while delivering. A lot of record while idles.
This and parking against the flow of traffic, driving with the bulkhead door open, rolling through stop signs, failing to use seat belts, rarely using signals or flashers, etc.
But at least they know how to run a route.

Z

ZQXC

This and parking against the flow of traffic, driving with the bulkhead door open, rolling through stop signs, failing to use seat belts, rarely using signals or flashers, etc.
But at least they know how to run a route.

...... constantly on the phone, and nosing into a 30 foot
driveway. WTF

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the toughest things for a supervisor is to retrain an experienced driver. Yes, the area and route knowledge are invaluable, but they may not be enough to outweigh the potential liability.

Resident know-it-all.

By The Book

One of the toughest things for a supervisor is to retrain an experienced driver. Yes, the area and route knowledge are invaluable, but they may not be enough to outweigh the potential liability.

Resident know-it-all.
This may be why management is not that worried if an inside pt employee doesn't make it. They can just recruit the fed x ground drivers, reboot them and you have a more experienced driver that is hungry and not going to worry about the union., or care about anything but top scale. You also retain your experienced pt workforce.

Overpaid Union Thug

Pretty well known fact. We use the rails to move a lot of volume.

Many sleeper teams are being added to better compete.

We have more hubs, more feeders, more everything. There is no excuse for our transit times to be behind theirs.

Just yesterday I witnessed the same HD driver nose into three different delivery points in a short time. The first was on my street. My street has a culd de sac and I live on the right side heading towards it and his delivery was on the left. The culd de sac is only four houses down but that fool nosed into the driveway instead of just turning around in the dead end. Then I saw him nosed in to parking spaces at two different apt complexes down the road as I was taking the wife and kids out to eat. I see crap like this all of the time and it is sickening knowing that that is the competition that is getting more and more of our work. And corporate UPS is more responsible for it. They are practically giving the volume away.

By The Book

We have more hubs, more feeders, more everything. There is no excuse for our transit times to be behind theirs.

Just yesterday I witnessed the same HD driver nose into three different delivery points in a short time. The first was on my street. My street has a culd de sac and I live on the right side heading towards it and his delivery was on the left. The culd de sac is only four houses down but that fool nosed into the driveway instead of just turning around in the dead end. Then I saw him nosed in to parking spaces at two different apt complexes down the road as I was taking the wife and kids out to eat. I see crap like this all of the time and it is sickening knowing that that is the competition that is getting more and more of our work. And corporate UPS is more responsible for it. They are practically giving the volume away.
I try not too look at them going down the road or delivering anymore. We have so many safety things and pride that its hard to watch someone doing the same thing we are doing with no pride or common sense.

Limper

Out For Delivery
To me this is all that really matters. I don't care if our market share went from 90% to 60%. There's more packages than ever before and that equates to more jobs.

I disagree. Do you think that market share erosion will
magically stop at 60%? Short-sightedness has killed
off many companies. Would you like a healthy company in 20 years still contributing to your pension?

Packmule

Ground matches our rate increases penny for penny which keeps their (non discounted) rates about 10% below ours.

Did you put sales leads in to try to get that volume back? It may be tough, especially if the school in question is a state school, but it is worth a try.

The bottom line is our operating costs make it tough for us to remain competitive with Ground and local carriers.

Resident know-it-all.
In our area customer service is telling us we won't be undersold. So put in the leads. Service wise seems people still get tired of our competitors' failures and come back to us over that too. OP is correct, though. Never take it for granted.

S

selfcancelsignal

I do not think that is really it.

Spee Dee drivers, the drivers, not the PT loaders/unloaders, have rejected unionization twice since I have been at UPS. They make about half what we do.
Yeah, when I was observing the Speedee guy loading all those parcels into his truck, all I could think was the smug, it must be nice making $11 an hour.

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.