Shouldered by a supervisor

beentheredonethat

Your supervisor should be fired!.........Management has absolutely NO right to EVER put their hands on an hourly....if you have witnesses, get them to write a statement and do some talking to guys in your building.....if this guy did this to you I would be willing to bet he has done it to somebody else as well..... I hope you get a quick resolution.... try not to let it bother you... I am sure it will however but anyway........... enjoy your vacation....
Agreed, although I'd reword it. No one has a right to put their hands on anyone!!! It's not just a mgmt\hourly thing. It's true for mgmt\mgmt, hrly\hrly as well as mgmt\hrly. Pretty stupid to push\shove etc.

BrownSuit

I would forget about it while you are on vacation. This is YOUR time and not the company's. Forget about it and let it wait until you get back.

Upon your return regardless of what action the center manager takes, I would go ahead and file.

Don't bother with the police, I would be surprised if they did anything for what you described. If it were another city . . . maybe, but not in Chicago or any of the burbs. It sounds like the only physical damage was from the stress, so if you do press charges they will be dropped fairly quickly and it would just create a bigger headache for all involved.

Security on the other hand would care and appreciate a heads-up as they would be the ones responding to a corporate concern if you called the 800 number or if any of your caring co-workers happened to pickup the phone and their fingers starting walking . . .

When you come back from Vacation let us know what happened.

Dustyroads

Here in the Kansas district there is a zero tolerance policy for violence in the workplace. He would be gone here, walked out of the building. In fact, in our district, he would be gone for his threatening, hostile and vulgar language directed at you.

Maybe things are different in other parts of the country, but I would say that his job is in your hands.

DS

Fenderbender
Red,I agree with tooner that you have always come across like an honest stand up guy .It occurred to me as I read your post,that if a supervisor can get away with not responding to a seasoned veterans request for help in making service on those 10:30 commits,he is already guilty of not doing his job.It scares me to think what havoc he would wreak on a new driver trying to reach seniority.The shoulder incident, was childish and
unprofessional,reminds me of a schoolyard bully that needs to see the principle.I guess any earlier "disagreements" you've had with this sup will determine what path to take next.We have seen many drivers get fired for silly drummed up reasons.Drivers with wives and family.Workplace intimidation is not a good base for anyones code of ethics,and this sup needs a wake up call.It would be great if you could get him help.
If he won't listen, help him, up to, and including dismissal.
Anyways,you are fine,enjoy your holiday.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
This is what I would do. You don't need to address this situation with the sup,center manager or DM. Talk to your HR person saying you want to report physical contact with another employee. On your day off, go to your local PD and file a simple assault report against this person (you need to get this on record).

If this person is not disciplined to your liking, talk to your lawyer about filing suit against UPS for workplace violence. I bet you, UPS will not want this going public and will settle out of court plus they will boot this sup as soon as the facts become clear.

I wouldn't take the advice of people who say take your vacation and come back like nothing has happened. Make this guy pay.....

satellitedriver

Red,
I know, and respect, that you are a stand up guy.
All the explanations of the day mean little to me, that is just SOP at UPS.
What bothers me is the shoulder touch.
Our lives are different, I am old and you are young with a young family to care for, so my point of view may be different.
I have no regard, or respect, for PC behavior when it comes to physical contact. I would have turned that Sups ass into a dust mop.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Red, only mistake you can make is to do nothing. Any action you take as far as having third party involvement is doing everyone involved a big favor. You and your co workers deserve better. So does UPS. File, report, call, notify. Something. Imho. Good luck man.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Red

I agree with Brown suit. Vacation time is so few and far between that it is precious. Let it wait till next week when you are back.

I also agree, while calling the police might sound dramatic and seem a response to the situation, I really dont think that in the long run that will solve anything for you. But what I would do is see what action the manager takes first. If nothing, then call the 1800 number. That way, you allowed the local manager to clean his own house before you brought in corp. But I would let him know that the clock is ticking.

d

P

pickup

My manager said he would address this situtation, should I take his word or should I go to the police department and file assault charges on this sup.

It is really hard for any of us to give specific advice. Only you know the exact details of the situation and only you know if the manager who said he was going to address the situation is a stand up guy.

I would ask what would you do if this happened to another hourly and you became aware of the situation as a steward? Perhaps the answer should be the same as what you should do in your own case.

Whatever route you chose, if you feel that you are too close to your own particular situation, I would suggest that you engage another steward to act on your behalf as much or as little as you need him to. He would be able to defend your position without as many emotional attachments to the situation as you have. You're going to have to tell this story again and relive the bullsh-t and violation in your mind as you do the retelling. That might disqualify you as being the guy that is suppose to represent your best interests and as the guy who can navigate through the bullsh-t landmines the shoulder-bumping sup lays down as defense between you and getting to the truth.

Just a suggestion and nothing more. Anyway , once you are on your vacation, don't let it bother you. You'll probably come back in a better frame of mind that will allow you to deal with this better.

Take it easy.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Do what ever you have to do to take this guys job. You will have the last laugh when he goes and files for unemployment. Go to the police and file the complaint. You really should have called on the spot via cellphone and caused a three ring circus at your building. Management will always tell the employee what he wants to hear. Don't trust that he will address the issue. You need to address the issue. I hope your witnesses will man up to the occasion. Being a package car driver its easy for management to friend with you. They can do alot of evil S to make your days miserable. I'm sure that will be going through your witnesses heads.

Satellitedriver has the right idea ........sounds like someone needs a good stompin on - could always be done around the corner from work at a shopping center:wink2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
This whole situation could have been avoided if the clowns running this company would get us loaded and on the road before 9:25. We will NEVER be able to compete leaving this late every day.

trouble maker

Yesterday morning at work the preload had a bad day and did not wrap on time. I asked for air help from my ft on car sup, he said I could deliver it no problem. I went to my manager and explained that it is 925am and I have 13 air stops and 2 ssi accounts that must be delivered by 1030 and I still have a 20 minute drive to the route.

He said that I was right and he would make sure my sup would get me help. Well guess what, it was too hard for my sup to find help, it meant that he would accutally require him working for his paycheck. I had 9 late air packages.

I had a total of 47 stops for 571 pieces, all boxex not many letters involved. I delivered airs until 11am and had to start delivering the grounds. I was way behind and could not finish my deliveries and take a lunch, so I decided I would work through alot of my lunch to make service to the customers this 1 time.

The sup shows up close to 2pm and I still have 8 stops for 30 pieces including 6 nda savers. He has a raised tone in his voice and told me I friend* him on purpose. He told me I was done at my 1st stop at 945, I tried explaining that i started scanning 87 packages which 35 of them were international express asd's and I had to enter the 6 digit shipper number for each one. He wanted nothing to do with having a discussion, it was his way and that it.

He procedded to tell me he was going to friend* me and take away my gravy work and screw me every chance he gets. I told him that after I was finished with this delivery that I was taking my full hour lunch and 10 minute break and he would have to cover my deliveries or pickups, because i start pick ups at 215ish. He walked away from me laughing.

I took my lunch and notified my manager what just happened, he pleaded with me to finish my deliveries and than take my lunch, which I did for my manager In driving with this driver the sup told him I was a J** off for taking my lunch and I would get what I had coming.

This morning the sup asked my preloader to go to the other end of the dock, and he approached me with his voice raised and called me a friend* liar and threw his shoulder into me. Others in the area heard him and had turned around just in time to see him assault me.

I repeated 3 times to get away from me and each time I raised my voice for others to hear me incase i had to defend my self. After the third request i walked away from the situtation so I would not be put in a violent position.

The sup continued to laugh at me and told me to drive the truck. I explained to my manager that i was assaulted and to stressed out to operate the truck safely. I asked for the police to be called and the dm to come to the center.

I was then taken to the clinic for a fitness for duty test. And UPS's doctor agreed that I was not safe to drive today because my pulse and blood pressure were high.

I was driven back to UPS and dropped off at my truck and told to go home and come back after my vacation which starts tomorrow.

My manager said he would address this situtation, should I take his word or should I go to the police department and file assault charges on this sup. If the shoe was on the other foot, we all know I would have been walked out in handcuffs!

Sorry its long I wanted to get all the details in the first time. This sup should be fired!
call atlanta

Work right slow and safe

I would let the ba know what happend so if they start to messing with you any one from your center or ups. this will be on file with the union and they can protect you more with a statement and put the ball in the court with the union and ups let them work it out and fix it

trickpony1

Red-
I've seen this tactic by management on more than one occasion. Management will try to anger you, push your buttons, frustrate you and taunt you into "flying off the hook" and taking a swing at them. They have tried it on me.....it didn't work. They tried it on a PC driver, he took a swing, he's no longer employed.

Had you given this individual what he apparently truly deserves all he would have had to say is, ".....I lost my balance and Red went off on me." and it would have been over for you.

I would document everything. I would officially file something to document the events. As you already know, DO NOT trust your manager to follow through on his promise to do anything. As you know, this people are proficient liars and will cover for each other.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Red,

I'm sorry to hear about this situation, nobody deserves or should tolerate this kind of treatment.

I agree with the advice of Dannyboy, pickup and BrownSuit, they sum it up pretty well in my opinion.

Enjoy your vacation and remember it's the first weekend of the NFL...Concentrate on trying to kick my butt in Fantasy football this weekend.:happy-very: