Shouldered by a supervisor

over9five

Staff member
OK I'll bite.
For every management person that retains their job, ten bargaining unit employees keep their job. At least!
But that's ok ... we know that is the playing field.

But I don't want ANYONE who commits workplace violence to keep their job.

I want what all those UPS posters say: ZERO TOLERANCE!

Does UPS have zero tolerance or not?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Sorry Ovah, did not understand what you are referring to.
You talking about verbal or physical violence? intentional or regardless?

Zero Tolerance equals "Utter Stupidity" to me whether it's fingernail clippers at school or elsewhere. Every circumstance is different. JMO

Last edited:

Hubrat98

But...but...but...What about "zero tolerance"?

Are we now saying it does NOT apply to management? Any management people care to comment?

To me "zero tolerance" means TERMINATED, not transferred.

I'm not saying that the OP was lying. I can definitely see the entire situation playing out as he stated.

However, I've seen a few instances where a union employee violates this policy and they don't lose their job. There was only one instance where employee got suspended for more then a few days only to re-appear in a different building as a driver . He was an over the top (from my obviously biased perspective) shop steward who pushed a manager.

While I agree that zero tolerance policies are usually assinine, if you're going to have one you can't pick and choose the situations in which it will apply. Regardless of which side of the fence the employee sits.

tieguy

Banned
Sorry Ovah, did not understand what you are referring to.
You talking about verbal or physical violence? intentional or regardless?

Zero Tolerance equals "Utter Stupidity" to me whether it's fingernail clippers at school or elsewhere. Every circumstance is different. JMO

I agree. zero tolerance won't apply here anyway. the sup will say he stumbled or may even say that red moved into him.

Red reputation as a troublemaker will hurt him here.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree. zero tolerance won't apply here anyway. the sup will say he stumbled or may even say that red moved into him.

If there were witnesses as Red said there were, I doubt that would fly (lying about it). Yes, the sup might not lose his job, but sup will probably not lie.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Moral to story - if a supervisor or manager ever gives you too much hell and harrassment that is beyond your control, trip or fall forward and smack accidently him in the jaw. Damn, must have slipped on that hub snake on the ground!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

So you are saying the sup will lie, and since he has a reputation of "troublemaker" that he will lose.
Glad I dont work there.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Ovah, speaking from personal experience, NO. Not among hourlies and from the sounds of things not among management either.

What UPS has is whitewash on a fence. It is there to make things look pretty but it does nothing for the structural integrity.

redshift1

Yesterday morning at work the preload had a bad day and did not wrap on time. I asked for air help from my ft on car sup, he said I could deliver it no problem. I went to my manager and explained that it is 925am and I have 13 air stops and 2 ssi accounts that must be delivered by 1030 and I still have a 20 minute drive to the route.

He said that I was right and he would make sure my sup would get me help. Well guess what, it was too hard for my sup to find help, it meant that he would accutally require him working for his paycheck. I had 9 late air packages.

I had a total of 47 stops for 571 pieces, all boxex not many letters involved. I delivered airs until 11am and had to start delivering the grounds. I was way behind and could not finish my deliveries and take a lunch, so I decided I would work through alot of my lunch to make service to the customers this 1 time.

The sup shows up close to 2pm and I still have 8 stops for 30 pieces including 6 nda savers. He has a raised tone in his voice and told me I friend* him on purpose. He told me I was done at my 1st stop at 945, I tried explaining that i started scanning 87 packages which 35 of them were international express asd's and I had to enter the 6 digit shipper number for each one. He wanted nothing to do with having a discussion, it was his way and that it.

He procedded to tell me he was going to friend* me and take away my gravy work and screw me every chance he gets. I told him that after I was finished with this delivery that I was taking my full hour lunch and 10 minute break and he would have to cover my deliveries or pickups, because i start pick ups at 215ish. He walked away from me laughing.

I took my lunch and notified my manager what just happened, he pleaded with me to finish my deliveries and than take my lunch, which I did for my manager In driving with this driver the sup told him I was a J** off for taking my lunch and I would get what I had coming.

This morning the sup asked my preloader to go to the other end of the dock, and he approached me with his voice raised and called me a friend* liar and threw his shoulder into me. Others in the area heard him and had turned around just in time to see him assault me.

I repeated 3 times to get away from me and each time I raised my voice for others to hear me incase i had to defend my self. After the third request i walked away from the situtation so I would not be put in a violent position.

The sup continued to laugh at me and told me to drive the truck. I explained to my manager that i was assaulted and to stressed out to operate the truck safely. I asked for the police to be called and the dm to come to the center.

I was then taken to the clinic for a fitness for duty test. And UPS's doctor agreed that I was not safe to drive today because my pulse and blood pressure were high.

I was driven back to UPS and dropped off at my truck and told to go home and come back after my vacation which starts tomorrow.

My manager said he would address this situtation, should I take his word or should I go to the police department and file assault charges on this sup. If the shoe was on the other foot, we all know I would have been walked out in handcuffs!

Sorry its long I wanted to get all the details in the first time. This sup should be fired!

Who knows what actually happened... what is known is a long history of self serving posts of questionable authenticity .

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
If this happen to me or in my center I would still try and take this as far as possible. I would not want anyone else to have to endure this kind of treatment. That kind of behavior should not be tolerated by any employee manager or hourly....

over9five

Staff member

I agree. So let's take down all those posters that say zero tolerance, and hang new ones that say 50% tolerance.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree. So let's take down all those posters that say zero tolerance, and hang new ones that say 50% tolerance.

Not in my power to do so and I've never seen one anyway.
UPS has become so PC I don't doubt it.
Only posters I noticed were the ones that UPS does not discriminate based on age. :funny:

tieguy

Banned

The problem is this issue is beyond the normal violence begets zero tolerance.

You have red who has proudly bragged here about being a pain in the companys ass in every way imanginable.

And now you have someone in the company who tried to provoke someone they thought a hothead into a violent reaction.

This aint normal human resources text book relationships here. This is a good old fahsioned ole school pissin contest.

The problem here is your expectations. You think Red can simply beetch slap the company forever and get away with it. Well it looks like he finally got someones attention.

Don't get offended because it happened. this is chicago where you should wonder why it did not happen sooner. :happy-very:

hyena

Take it all the way Red they wouldnt think twice about screwing you. If roles wouldve been reversed you wouldve already been fired. He needs to go!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Take it all the way Red they wouldnt think twice about screwing you. If roles wouldve been reversed you wouldve already been fired. He needs to go!

Somebody needs to read their own advice......

Sweet reply Tieguy...

The problem is this issue is beyond the normal violence begets zero tolerance.

You have red who has proudly bragged here about being a pain in the companys ass in every way imanginable.

And now you have someone in the company who tried to provoke someone they thought a hothead into a violent reaction.

This aint normal human resources text book relationships here. This is a good old fahsioned ole school pissin contest.

The problem here is your expectations. You think Red can simply beetch slap the company forever and get away with it. Well it looks like he finally got someones attention.

Don't get offended because it happened. this is chicago where you should wonder why it did not happen sooner. :happy-very:
Just for clarity sake, do you consider the company giving a warning letter to someone for a....(let's say)..No Call No Show a beetch slap from the company? I guess what I am asking is Red really beetch slapping the company when he files a grievance on behalf of a driver for the company violating the contract?

When I first started driving I had a center manager (that later became a district mgr) tell me that warning letters and grievances were simply tools used to keep each other on the straight and narrow. Neither were personal, neither were intended to do harm but to keep the "rules" constant and fair for all involved, a means to settle a difference of opinion in what the "rules" were. I'm pretty sure neither were intended to be beetch slaps.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
When I first started driving I had a center manager (that later became a district mgr) tell me that warning letters and grievances were simply tools used to keep each other on the straight and narrow. Neither were personal, neither were intended to do harm but to keep the "rules" constant and fair for all involved, a means to settle a difference of opinion in what the "rules" were. I'm pretty sure neither were intended to be beetch slaps.

x2.

Problem comes when managers or hourlies fail to understand that and use grievances and warning letters for personal reasons. Too many people walking around this company with a chip on their shoulder and looking for any chance to exercise a power trip.

x2.

Problem comes when managers or hourlies fail to understand that and use grievances and warning letters for personal reasons. Too many people walking around this company with a chip on their shoulder and looking for any chance to exercise a power trip.
Believe me, I know what you mean. I've had managers go off like a rocket at the mention of a "fact finding" grievance.

tieguy

Banned
Just for clarity sake, do you consider the company giving a warning letter to someone for a....(let's say)..No Call No Show a beetch slap from the company? I guess what I am asking is Red really beetch slapping the company when he files a grievance on behalf of a driver for the company violating the contract?

I'm really not trying to comment on what is right or wrong here. I'm making the point that I think what we see here is outside the normal employer / employee relationship.