"shove that ****ing package up your ***, ******"

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Well we've all had our share:

One wealthy customer in an exclusive area threatened to blow my friend......ing head off.

Another, high on drugs, tried to run me down....it was very close and I injured my knee diving out of the way.

A beautiful secretary at a high school has called me every name in the book and called in a complaint for my having left 2 heavy large steel sheets in the back office instead of the front.....Now I pile everything right in front of her desk. In the 5 years I've delivered there I've said no more than 5 words to her.

An employee at the local John Deere dealership rolled a lawnmower underneath my front bumper while I delivered from the rear....It was not visible and I bent the handle and deck.....The parts manager pulled it out, told the center manager the employee was a jackass and he would pay for it. I never saw that employee again.

A woman held a heavy security door while I placed her packages inside...it was a very windy day and while picking up the last parcel, she let the door go...it cracked my head, cutting the skin.....I could hear her inside....laughing.

I've had 3 customers "call me out"......They accuse me of stealing, losing, damaging or failing to pick up their packages in front of other people...

All in a day's work....I just smile and go on my way....Things always equal out in the end....

2 of those "call out" customers have lost their jobs in the last 3 months.

The secretary fell off her racing bike and broke her hip

So I just keep rolling and smiling and never respond with anger or hatred. People like that aren't worth the effort and I know what's waiting for them.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When I was a clerk at the Customer Counter we got our daily share of poopyheads coming in to pick up will calls that weren't pulled from the trucks or never called in.
That was a miserable job, got yelled at, accused of things that I can't post here, insulted, and all kinds of good stuff. The best parts were when they never called in to have the pkg put on will call...oh joy! Next!
Some folks are so full of themselves they can't see what fools they are to other people.

That bascially sums up my two years at the counter. Scapegoat for everything, nothing is ever good enough. Name calling, insults, threats...

.. it was enjoyable working there! not.

The worst part was not being able to help most of the time and directing people to the 1-800 #. Not the best system.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This is exactly what I am talking about. This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but you felt that, since you have to have a post in every single thread on Brown Cafe, that you would post it here.

You Sir, need to unplug your computer and take a sabbatical !
1/2 your posts are moronic spell checks and moreluck adds more to this site than you being a cyber-* !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You Sir, need to unplug your computer and take a sabbatical !
1/2 your posts are moronic spell checks and moreluck adds more to this site than you being a cyber-* !!!

If i said cyber-summer's eve would that have been fairer ?

In a driver's position, It is OK to let them vent but once they cross the line with aggresive language then you turn and head out , even with the package ! It's better when you KNOW your management team will have your back, but sometimes these days I'm not so sure anymore.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In a driver's position, It is OK to let them vent but once they cross the line with aggresive language then you turn and head out , even with the package ! It's better when you KNOW your management team will have your back, but sometimes these days I'm not so sure anymore.

Everybody has had a bad day, and everybody has reacted inappropriately at one time or another and said things they later wind up regretting. I can forgive that, since I am just as guilty of that character defect as anyone else.

As a bid route driver, I know that one way or another I am going to have to find a way to resolve whatever problem I am having with that particular customer
because I will inevitably be seeing them again. Often times that means setting my ego aside and "allowing" the customer to go ahead and "win" whatever argument we might be having in order to smooth things over.

What I dont have to do....is to tolerate verbal abuse or subject myself (or the customer) to the threat of physical violence. At that point, I dont care whether management "has my back" or not, if the customer has clearly lost it then it becomes a safety issue for both them and me and I am going to take the package and walk away..... and from that point on I am done and the customer and UPS are free to make any delivery arrangements they want to as long as they dont involve me setting foot on the property. I have employed that option a grand total of twice during a 23 year driving career that involves many tens of thousands of transactions with different customers, so I figure I must be doing something right.

code5

I once drove into a companys yard and I apparently didn't come to a full stop in front of a building where a stop sign was. A guy comes out and totally loses it on me. He said I don't care about safety, but I was cool and collected and apologized saying I do care about safety, thanking him for pointing out my wrong doing and I'll be extra careful in that situation next time (basically kissing his butt).

That wasn't good enough, he was out for blood. He went back into his office and came out with a piece of paper, writing down my car number on it as he was aimlessly ranting. I was in a huge hurry and couldn't wait any longer. I got in my package car and he grabs the steering wheel saying he wasn't done with me. It got the most of me, I got out and raised my voice saying I need to leave and he surrendered back to his office. I followed him in, took out an info notice and wrote my name on it and slammed it on his desk. I said you don't need my car number, here is my name. Call in a complaint then and maybe you can get me fired so you can feel better about yourself!

He called in a complain only stating that he wants a different driver delivering to him. A couple weeks later, I delivered to him and he saw me and cowardly retreated to his office to avoid confrentation. After a couple more diliveries, he was upbeat and joking around with me. Neither of us ever refered back to that situation.

He was having a bad day and took it out on me. While I showed him I wasn't his whipping boy, I stood my ground and didn't totally stoop to his level back.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Code 5 I commend you. We had a guy who accidently opened a screen door like he had done forever. The woman was standing there naked, (and not a good naked) so her husband calls in and says never let that driver deliver here again.

For awhile I delivered it, opened the door threw it in, never had a problem. Finally he started delivering it again, and same thing, saw the people, chatted, never mentioned it.

I just hope I have never been such an idiot.

CharleyHustle

When I first started on my current area I had a COD for a service station. After I gave the shipper name and COD amount the consignee said that he needed to open it to make sure it was what he had ordered. When I tried to tell him we aren't allowed to do that he told me that the previous driver let him do it all the time. I repeated that we are unable to do that and he proceeded to call me an *******. I then told him that he could pick this package and any future deliveries up at the center.

I was at a party store and a guy said the same thing to me. I said OK, I'm going to buy this bottle of asprin, but first I'm going to open it to make sure there are 50 in the bottle.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I once drove into a companys yard and I apparently didn't come to a full stop in front of a building where a stop sign was. A guy comes out and totally loses it on me. He said I don't care about safety, but I was cool and collected and apologized saying I do care about safety, thanking him for pointing out my wrong doing and I'll be extra careful in that situation next time (basically kissing his butt).

That wasn't good enough, he was out for blood. He went back into his office and came out with a piece of paper, writing down my car number on it as he was aimlessly ranting. I was in a huge hurry and couldn't wait any longer. I got in my package car and he grabs the steering wheel saying he wasn't done with me.

You can yell at me all you want, call me names, insult my wife or my mother, it doesnt matter. I will be the bigger man and walk away.

If, however, you choose to step up into my package car in a threatening manner or grab the steering wheel as I am trying to leave.... you are going to wake up in the hospital with your jaw wired shut and a feeding tube inserted somewhere in your body.

I havent been in a fight since 4th grade, when I got my ass kicked by the school bully. I'm still pissed about it 35 years later, only now I am 6-1" and 245 lbs and you are going to be the recipient of a lot of pent up anger if you make the mistake of grabbing my steering wheel.

Peace.:peaceful: