SICK CALLS West Coast Teamster

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by West Coast Brown Driver, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Question I have never had an attendance issue, so I feel it's best to ask this question on here, I was forced to call in sick for 7 straight days and I was seen by my primary care doctor, and was given a note to return to work full duty with no restrictions, just want to make sure since I called in sick seven days in a row that it will be counted as an occasion, I keep track of everything, and I want to stay on top of this , thank you very much for any advice or input

2. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

1 occurance

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

You need to call your local union and or ups Hrsc so you can collect your disability money. You should be entitled to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. Bubblehead

Bubblehead My Senior Picture

You should be entitled to short term disability, provided you are a seniority employee and have timely documentation from your physician.

5. jaker

jaker trolling

Should be one since you got a note , worst case it will be two

6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There is a 7 day waiting period before you can start collecting benefits.

7. UpstateNYUPSer

You were sick for 9 days (or more, including weekends)?

8. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Including weekend in my hood.

9. alwaysRTS

alwaysRTS Shop Steward

It'll be counted as one occurrence, make sure you personally keep track of it just in case there's a discrepancy down the road.

10. Holydriver

Holydriver Active Member

What is an occurrence?

11. UpstateNYUPSer

Unexcused absence.

12. Holydriver

Holydriver Active Member

So if you have a doctors note for missing a week of work UPS will consider it an unexcused absence?

13. hondo

hondo promoted to mediocrity

You need to ask your shop steward about the attendance policy where you are. There is no blanket, nationwide policy.

14. UpstateNYUPSer

No---that would be an excused absence.

Good advice.

15. alwaysRTS

alwaysRTS Shop Steward

Having a doctors note would make it an excused absence.

16. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

when out for a week due to illness, you keep your insurance for the week, or do you lose it for that week?

17. undies

undies Active Member

You need to have either time worked or a paid day in the system. If you don't get a paycheck the following week, you didn't get contributions made to your insurance.

18. Teamstersavant

Teamstersavant New Member

If you called in for 7 consecutive days and had paid sick time available then you should have no problems with your insurance. Always obtain documentation whenever possible. Besides if this was your first occasion then there is no just cause for discipline as the rule is by the 5th occasion you will receive a "he said , I said" ; that is if management is on top of things and monitoring your attendance. Remember discipline for occasions can only be used between a 9 month span, beginning from your most recent occasion.