Sick day harassment

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Just tell them you won't be there if they ask why tell them it's none of their business. You have days, you can use them whenever you want. I just call, tell them I won't be there and if they ask why I just hang up. Just make sure you call ahead of time and you have days.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This morning I called out and told them I was using a sick day. First, my sup said "why? You don't sound sick. I don't have any extras, I need you." I decided to be up front with him and let him know my son was sick and needed to be taken to the doctor and I had no one else. He said "so your job comes second? Third? Fourth?" I said "to my kids, yes it does." He said ok, fine, see ya. I'm afraid he's gonna send me home everyday now as an extra. I have my seniority as a ft driver but not enough to have my own route. Are there any actions I can take?

Sent using BrownCafe App
We are hiring 7 drivers. 2 of them women from the inside, as I was, They have babies. I am doing my best to convince them what they will miss, and how so not worth it, it will be. I probably will not succeed, but I will try. mine were freshmen and a senior when I took the job. Now I just have guilt over the dog. Bad thing about it...you cannot go back.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Very good advice. What kind of person would not let you have the time off to take care of a sick child. Most people I know would go to work sick but would stay home with a child. They will get over it real fast and be on to someone else. You did the right thing.
yes you did the right thing. yes it pays well but it is not family friendly.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They same kind of people who tell you your wife is in the ER by leaving a note on the time clock.
When I was a pt sup, I left my young child in the hospital, then I had to go run air, no cell phones diads then. When I got back the hospital had called me there 5 times, and I got an "Oh the hospital called". My sons appendix was about to burst, and no one thought that was important.............I got reemed by them, at the hospital and felt like the worst mother in the world. I would expect no less today while on road. But I had to open the building, I was Oh so important.........

Cementups

Box Monkey
Next time you call be upfront about it.

It's none of their business why you need off.

The one day I called off and told them I wouldn't be coming in today. Sup says, "why?" I said, "because I'm not." Sup: "why?" Me: "Because UPS and the Union have agreed that I am entitled to 5 sick days to use at my disposal and today is going to be one of those days." Followed by a quick *click* on hid end. I win!!!

Marne Vet

This morning I called out and told them I was using a sick day. First, my sup said "why? You don't sound sick. I don't have any extras, I need you." I decided to be up front with him and let him know my son was sick and needed to be taken to the doctor and I had no one else. He said "so your job comes second? Third? Fourth?" I said "to my kids, yes it does." He said ok, fine, see ya. I'm afraid he's gonna send me home everyday now as an extra. I have my seniority as a ft driver but not enough to have my own route. Are there any actions I can take?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Listen to me, and take this advice seriously. Management doesn't give an S about your reason for calling out. The longer you leave them on the phone yapping back at you, the longer they'll try to guilt you into coming in. An old tactic of theirs is to quickly say "We don't have anyone to cover you. Need ya to come in buddy. See ya when you get here" and then hang-up. friend that. Don't let them control the conversation ever. I mean EVER! This is how you call out. "Hey [Stupidvisor Name] it's [YOUR NAME]. I'm calling out sick. Call you tomorrow if I won't make it in again. Bye." Now hang the friend up. Soon as they start to talk you hang-up. I had some tough guy wanna be sup a decade ago flip his S because I hung-up on him. He called me in the office with my Steward the next morning and started reading me the riot act. Soon as I let him finish his little rant I said "Don't tell me I'm coming in when I call out sick and hang-up on me. Understood? I call out, that's it." He initially tried that BS with me too. Told me "Can't cover ya. See ya when you get here" and hung-up on me. I called back and said "Not coming in!" and hung-up on him. Guess I hurt his little ego. No biggie. My Steward read him the riot act for trying to pull that crap on me. Miss that guy (Steward) because he was great with dealing with these stupid visors. This same sup once drove a Package Car to a guy's house that called out sick and told him he had to run the trip! The rookie got dressed and did it sick! It pissed a lot of us off because they took advantage of the kid. Try that with me and I'll call the cops on you and have that truck towed. I won't even answer my door. Get used to this BS crap they will always try to pull on rookies, and pushover drivers.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Listen to me, and take this advice seriously. Management doesn't give an S about your reason for calling out. The longer you leave them on the phone yapping back at you, the longer they'll try to guilt you into coming in. An old tactic of theirs is to quickly say "We don't have anyone to cover you. Need ya to come in buddy. See ya when you get here" and then hang-up. friend that. Don't let them control the conversation ever. I mean EVER! This is how you call out. "Hey [Stupidvisor Name] it's [YOUR NAME]. I'm calling out sick. Call you tomorrow if I won't make it in again. Bye." Now hang the friend up. Soon as they start to talk you hang-up
I agree with this, but before you hang up on them, get the name of the supervisor you talked to, write down their name and what time you called in. This is a game they play with P/T'ers all the time. Can't tell you how many times they've claimed no call no show when someone did in fact call in. It's all a game to them, luckily most of the rules to this game are written in our favor.