Sick day harassment

bumped

When my kids are sick and they try to get me to come in I just tell the I'm taking care of the most important stop of the day. I won't be in. Bye.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
This morning I called out and told them I was using a sick day. First, my sup said "why? You don't sound sick. I don't have any extras, I need you." I decided to be up front with him and let him know my son was sick and needed to be taken to the doctor and I had no one else. He said "so your job comes second? Third? Fourth?" I said "to my kids, yes it does." He said ok, fine, see ya. I'm afraid he's gonna send me home everyday now as an extra. I have my seniority as a ft driver but not enough to have my own route. Are there any actions I can take?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Im not feeling very well today. I am going to use a sick day today and I will be in tomorrow. Click and hang up the phone. Its that simple youngblood lol.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
When I was a pt sup, I left my young child in the hospital, then I had to go run air, no cell phones diads then. When I got back the hospital had called me there 5 times, and I got an "Oh the hospital called". My sons appendix was about to burst, and no one thought that was important.............I got reemed by them, at the hospital and felt like the worst mother in the world. I would expect no less today while on road. But I had to open the building, I was Oh so important.........
When I first started here a p/t sup got a call that his daughter was taken to the hospital from school, and the friend/t sup wouldn't let him go early. We all busted our asses to wrap up as soon as possible so he could leave. It was an eye opening experience for me. He moved on to a better job a few months later....

upswife75

I agree with this, but before you hang up on them, get the name of the supervisor you talked to, write down their name and what time you called in. This is a game they play with P/T'ers all the time. Can't tell you how many times they've claimed no call no show when someone did in fact call in. It's all a game to them, luckily most of the rules to this game are written in our favor.

This! Also, if possible, do it from your cell phone, that way you have a record of it. That way, if they try to say you didn't call, you can pull your phone out and show that you called at such and such time and spoke for X number of minutes.

Marne Vet

Nah, I don't write the name down or the time. My phone has a call history that I can screen-shot and I ALWAYS text the dispatcher I'm not coming in. If they ever tried that BS they'd look really stupid with a call log, a text message, and now a grievance for harassment because that's exactly what they're attempting to do.