Sick days after giving 2 weeks notice

DONE

Been watching for a long time on this site, also been searching for a new job after many years with Express. I found one, will be giving my 2 weeks notice in, I plan on using all 5 sick days during my last 2 weeks. Does anyone know of any policy out there in Express that will not allow this? Will they not pay me if I call in sick during my last 2 weeks with the company?

Ricochet1a

Been watching for a long time on this site, also been searching for a new job after many years with Express. I found one, will be giving my 2 weeks notice in, I plan on using all 5 sick days during my last 2 weeks. Does anyone know of any policy out there in Express that will not allow this? Will they not pay me if I call in sick during my last 2 weeks with the company?

If you haven't already given your notice of voluntary termination (2 week notice), then hold off - get sick, and take a mini-vacation before you do turn in your notice. Be prepared to provide a physician's note regarding the nature of the sickness and your ability to return to work "without any restrictions". If you have given notice, then forget about it. Your management will do everything they can to deny you pay for any time you call off (if you get sick after giving notice) and there isn't a hell of a lot you can do about unless you provide a physician's note for the time. Just isn't worth the fight.

It all depends on when your start date with your new job is. If you have a start date more than 3 weeks out and haven't given notice - get sick. If you have a start date sooner than that - forget about the sick time, and just do your last 2 weeks.

I used my personals, floaters and most of my sick time going to interviews before I left Express. I managed to find a position before using my last sick day (damn, my health did a real nose dive in the last month or so of my employment...). My manager knew what was going on, but since I hadn't turned in notice, there wasn't a damn thing "they" could do about.

The last 2 weeks was more or less a "victory lap", since I knew there wasn't a damn thing they could do to me, I wouldn't return no matter what and all the little crap that constantly got thrown at me - I could ignore and laugh off.

Congrats on getting out of the hell hole and into something else.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Use them, just like most people do when they know they're leaving. Do me a favor, will you? On your last day, volunteer to take extra P1, then drive your vehicle to the mountains, desert...as far away as you can get and just leave it there, full of freight. Bury the keys, and have a ride waiting.

DONE

Thank you both for the info. I will be using them. During my last 2 weeks. MrFedex, keep the faith and never give in. I know you won't, like I said I have been on here for a long time reading many posts.

Ricochet1a

They are required to pay you for sick pay, regardless whether you take the days or not-

Unless they changed PEOPLE in the past couple of years... WRONG.

Any unused sick, personal or floating holidays are forfeited upon termination of employment. Any unused vacation time is paid out along with any accrued during the fiscal year.

So if an employee had 2 weeks of vacation as of September 2012 (3 year employee), hadn't taken any yet and worked their last day on September 17th, they'd be paid for those 2 weeks of vacation that wasn't taken, along with (in this case) 4 days of accrued vacation for FY 2013.

Any sick, personal or floating holidays that weren't taken by their last date of employment, would be forfeit.

If you know you are going to quit around a certain time, be sure to schedule all personals, floaters and get real sick before you give notice.

SmithBarney

Gee you are awfully nice, I'd take all my vaca and never return... Why give notice, it's a right to work state? Right? Maybe call the morning of your return, and say I wont be in today...or ever again, thanks.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!

We had a two guys that just went through this situation. One tried to be "nice" and they gave him hell (you need a doctor's note, you can't do that, etc.) ... they even tried to mess with his "401K" (he just forfeited the days and resigned).

The seasoned "Vet" not only took his sick days, he went out on stress (full time). He's was on a "Fedex Vacation" for a month, until he resigned.

GoodGrief

Use them, just like most people do when they know they're leaving. Do me a favor, will you? On your last day, volunteer to take extra P1, then drive your vehicle to the mountains, desert...as far away as you can get and just leave it there, full of freight. Bury the keys, and have a ride waiting.

You are one sick puppy.........

CJinx

Yeah, let the customer suffer because you hate your job. What is collateral damage?