sick days/ an excuse to make attendance issue to get you fired

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
we have 6 sick days from may to may, if i use all 6 sick days before april 30th and use a sick day lets say in june even thou my new sick days started as of may 1st, we get taken into the office in june for using 7 sick days when technically, i just starting to use my new sick days that started in may 1st.what is your opinion? and do you think they have the right to do that?

Rain Shield

In my opinion, if you are paid, they can pound sand. How can an employee be disciplined if they are being paid for not being in attendance? I would assume it follows under Vacation or Holiday language. Ask your supervisor how you can be disciplined for using an earned benefit. I would love to hear their answer to that one since I would assume the sick days are earned by either number of hours worked or number of reports the previous year.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
we have 6 sick days from may to may, if i use all 6 sick days before april 30th and use a sick day lets say in june even thou my new sick days started as of may 1st, we get taken into the office in june for using 7 sick days when technically, i just starting to use my new sick days that started in may 1st.what is your opinion? and do you think they have the right to do that?
As long as you have sick days available, you can use them whenever you want...but that doesn't mean that management won't complain...lol.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I never understood how calling out sick becomes an absentee problem if one stays within the allotted days? The company agreed to 6 days, therefore, they acknowledge it is perfectly normal to get sick up to 6 days a year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never understood how calling out sick becomes an absentee problem if one stays within the allotted days? The company agreed to 6 days, therefore, they acknowledge it is perfectly normal to get sick up to 6 days a year.

The company is going to pay for these days whether you use them or not so I agree that as long as you have paid days left this should not be an issue.

scoutlover

We are from January to January. I had the exact same issue as you. Caught a bad stomach virus in October, November, and January. As soon as January hit I got all my sick days back, but when I got back I was issued a warning letter because I had six occurrences in the last 9 months. Every day I was out I was paid for and had a doctor's note but still got the warning letter.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

We get 6 in 6 months, but all unpaid. We have guys who know exactly when one will fall off and call in the next day, nothing is ever said.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We are from January to January. I had the exact same issue as you. Caught a bad stomach virus in October, November, and January. As soon as January hit I got all my sick days back, but when I got back I was issued a warning letter because I had six occurrences in the last 9 months. Every day I was out I was paid for and had a doctor's note but still got the warning letter.

Sent using BrownCafe App
That's BS! Management doesn't get to decide when we use our sick time.

bluebiker

The company agreed to pay you for 6 days, you could get the flu and use up all 6. Then what would happen if you caught some sort of contagious virus?

They want you to come in and get others sick?

Ask for that in writing. When you get it in writing on a UPS letterhead tell them you won't be in the next day, you'll be down at the OSHA office making a complaint.

UPSGUY72

Of course this all is hypothetical since it isn't May or June so you haven't gotten your new year allotment of sick days. Just go to work and stop trying to figure out how you can get out of working without getting in trouble.....

You get 6 paid sick days you can call out more than six time you just won't get paid for any over 6 days.....

Also people that get taken into the office for calling in call in all time ( every week or other week, usually only on Monday or Fridays ETC).

BrownTexas

Sent using BrownCafe App

I would have protested the write up. But then again I protest every write up. If it is legitimate or not.