sick days as vacation

canam450

Our center was allowed to take our sick days as a vacation this year so we scheduled it in november like we always do here..Well my route was cut a few times before my vacation which is 11 months from when the sick days count and the sup asked if i wanted paid so i said sure and took a sick day and went home that happend two or three times and i also called off sick 4 or 5 times in that 11 month period..well i called off sick once in the first week of august and the last one was 3rd week in october so i dont call off a lot..well i came back the next day and got warning letter and was also told that i couldnt have my scheduled vacation since i have no sick days left which i knew but i just thought since i used them up that i would still get the vaca but no pay for that week.. i was just seeing if the can actually do that because i cant find it in the contract

canam450

if they do the sick days as vacation what should they do when you call in sick just put lay off and i know of more people in my building thats done the same thing but since they arent filing grievances they get by with it

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In my area, if you chose the option of taking the vacation with your sick days, you shouldn't have been paid with any of those vacation days.

Regardless, if you wanted the vacation, you should have not used any of your paid sick days. Blaming ignorance is purely ridiculous

I side with the company making you work 5 days in a row !!

Cementups

Box Monkey
In our area they if they cut your route, they will allow us to take the day without pay (scheduled day off), thus saving your sick days. Technically this isn't right since then you would have sick days left at a later date, but it happens.
And as brownmonster said, your route is cut, you run something else.

If you're out of sick days for your option week (as we call it) then you forfeit the week. Sorry about your luck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
After re-reading the OP he knows he is burning sick days when he takes days off but now expects to still get the week in November off un-paid. Lesson learned.

UPSGUY72

Our center was allowed to take our sick days as a vacation this year so we scheduled it in november like we always do here..Well my route was cut a few times before my vacation which is 11 months from when the sick days count and the sup asked if i wanted paid so i said sure and took a sick day and went home that happend two or three times and i also called off sick 4 or 5 times in that 11 month period..well i called off sick once in the first week of august and the last one was 3rd week in october so i dont call off a lot..well i came back the next day and got warning letter and was also told that i couldnt have my scheduled vacation since i have no sick days left which i knew but i just thought since i used them up that i would still get the vaca but no pay for that week.. i was just seeing if the can actually do that because i cant find it in the contract

In my area it's called and option week you can use your 5 sick days or a combination of your sick days and personals days to make another week of PAID vacation. quite a few driver do it. However most end up taking a week unpaid because they usually use there sick day and personal up by either calling in or being give a day off...

You should be able to take that week of you just won't be paid...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have 4 choices for our optional week. Take it in pay, put the whole week in the 401K, use it as a regular week of vacation, or split it into individual days. You make the choice during vacation picks. If you take it in individual days you run the risk of the company forcing you to use these days when you call in sick. I don't call in sick, so I had 5 days to burn this fall. I haven't worked a Monday in a month, and got paid for them all.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They can't your scheduled for vacation paid or not. I would say something to your steward.

Our optional week is always the first one scheduled. You can't have a scheduled vacation if you plan on using it as individual days. This is local 344 and yours may differ.

UPSGUY72

Our optional week is always the first one scheduled. You can't have a scheduled vacation if you plan on using it as individual days. This is local 344 and yours may differ.

In my center you don't pick your option week till after everyone has picked all there regular vacation weeks. We pick are vacation weeks for the year in Feb or March depending if it a Bid year or not. Once you pick a week it yours paid or no you got it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I know you you work at my center and everytime u get a new toy you have to sell it in six months to pay other bills because you didn't work enough that month.