Sick Days

I always chose "option 3" which gave me approximately a week of sick days taken as I desire. These were paid. Now once you use all the days allowed, management could, but not always, say something to you about attendance issues.
I think this might have happened to him. He prob used up all of his sick days already and didnt know that he had 0 left so he tried calling out and now management is telling him that he needs to be at work period.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
At my hub on my shift, most of us don't call, we text. Its always been excepted as valid here (plus we have backup).
This is an excellent idea if it is accepted by management. I called in once from a land line about 3 hours before my start time. When I came in the next day, the manager called me in the office to give me a warning letter for calling in less than an hour before start. The dispatcher, for whatever reason, lied about the timeline. After that, I used my cell to at least have a record of the time I called.

tacken

WHAT UPS LIED SAY IT AINT SO.
This is an excellent idea if it is accepted by management. I called in once from a land line about 3 hours before my start time. When I came in the next day, the manager called me in the office to give me a warning letter for calling in less than an hour before start. The dispatcher, for whatever reason, lied about the timeline. After that, I used my cell to at least have a record of the time I called.
WHAT UPS LIED SAY IT AINT SO.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Whoa.... :censored2:ty.

In mine, I've got 20hrs (five PT shifts) option pay and 20hrs (five PT shifts) sick pay.

I still haven't figured out the difference between the two but they both get paid out at the end of the year if left unused, so I don't care too much. I used to think they were different names for the same benefit until I noticed sick pay get 4 hours deducted from it the first time I used it, while my OPT pay (or available hours, w/e) stayed at 20.0hrs.

@#24

If it were me, and I were really sick and had no intentions of going in, I would call in sick to every supervisor that I've got a number for. Back that :censored2: up. Tell each of them I'm calling in sick and that I had already unsuccessfully tried to communicate that to the "FT sup/manager."

If they tell me I can't call in sick, I call in sick and then threaten filing a grievance when I come in the next day until they calm me down and tell me to get to work.

Hasn't failed me yet.... but I don't really call out often, and they've only talked me out of one of my attempted call-ins (that I can remember.) Pretty sure they just knew it was my birthday with that one, though.
Your option days are personal days....you can request specific days off in advance (pending management approval) and use them.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Grown ups pick up the phone and talk to one another. That is the accepted way of doing it.
b4fe866420aaa1ea76bf2d74437dcd2006c6b82c4616a03f9466bf8f9405c821.jpg

Faceplanted

When I started driving 10 years ago I got talked into coming in when trying to take an option 3 day all the time.

Now, if I know I have something to do I try to be curious and tell my on road a few days before "hey I won't be here this day". Being curtious goes a long way, especially if u need a schedule off when out of days.

Otherwise if I have to call in, I text first about 2 hours before start and day "option 3 today, see you tomorrow unless otherwise ". If no response I call. The whole real men call days are over, most of my on roads are college geeks who hate talking on the phone and text messages also provide proof with a response. They have learned to not ask me to call because the call usually goes south when their staffing excuses come up and I tell them it's not my problem. Before being a bid driver I have went out blind many times due to call in, these rookies can do the same especially with edd.

If you have option 3, use them at your will. We damn well earn them, and some days u just need a day to run errands or spend time with the family. They agreed upon the contract and that's how it works. Nothing better than waking up, thinking "scree work today" and enjoying a great day how ever u enjoy them.

Upstate, your old school u wouldn't understand the ease of a text, especially when sups are in their am meetings and don't need their phone blowing up.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Grown ups pick up the phone and talk to one another. That is the accepted way of doing it.

I admit that in this day and age of texting and such I do hate calling people but when it comes to certain things, it's time to pick up the phone and be a big boy. Calling off work is one of those times, unless your job has an online way of doing it like my wife's does. But even then she still calls in. Because it's the right thing to do.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I think this might have happened to him. He prob used up all of his sick days already and didnt know that he had 0 left so he tried calling out and now management is telling him that he needs to be at work period.
Even if that's the case it would be a first occurrence and maybe a verbal for attendance.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
UPS doesn't pay for my cell phone, or yours, so why would I?
It's not 1996, I don't pay per text message or even minute for that matter, but tha's besides the point.

I use the DIAD because it gives me proof of the communication.
Upstate says adults don't text, they call with a phone, maybe you should ask him why he thinks anyone who uses text communication isn't a "grown up"....

Part timers wanting to use texts to prove they called in isn't any different than using the DIAD to have a record of the communication.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have "texted in" before. Doing that in no way at all determines that I am not a grown up. One time I did it because I was sick enough that I could barely talk. Nor did I want to talk or feel like talking. Another time when I was sick I definitely was not in the mood for the BS that we get from whatever random OMS answers the phone. They claim that we must speak with an On Car or center manager. And I think calling and telling them I'm not coming in and hanging up before they can at least say bye might be more worthy of your claim. But if thats what it takes to get through to someone then I'm all for it as a last resort. Texting is an awesome, and often NECESSARY, tool and in no way is an indication of a lack of maturity.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I use the DIAD because it gives me proof of the communication.
Upstate says adults don't text, they call with a phone, maybe you should ask him why he thinks anyone who uses text communication isn't a "grown up"....

You're misconstruing what he is saying. Calling in sick is something you should pick up the phone and call in and do. Calling your doctor because you have a lump on your penis is something you should call to do. Telling your mom you love her is something you should pick up the phone to do. Texting your wife to let her know you on your way home so she can have dinner ready is totally acceptable. Or saying, "hey honey I'm stopping at the store for milk and bread, do we need anything else?", is acceptable.

All he is saying is that calling in sick is something you should be picking up the phone to do. Texting is kind of cowardly and the easy way out.

If anyone else had made the comment Dave did no one would be shaking a stick at them. But because it's Dave everyone shakes the whole tree.

wayfair

swollen member
You're misconstruing what he is saying. Calling in sick is something you should pick up the phone and call in and do. Calling your doctor because you have a lump on your penis is something you should call to do. Telling your mom you love her is something you should pick up the phone to do. Texting your wife to let her know you on your way home so she can have dinner ready is totally acceptable. Or saying, "hey honey I'm stopping at the store for milk and bread, do we need anything else?", is acceptable.

All he is saying is that calling in sick is something you should be picking up the phone to do. Texting is kind of cowardly and the easy way out.

If anyone else had made the comment Dave did no one would be shaking a stick at them. But because it's Dave everyone shakes the whole tree.
My dispatcher sends me texts to ask if I want a layoff...