Sick Days

Cementups

Box Monkey
What if 15 guys call in on the same day?

not-my-problem.jpg

BrownBrokeDown

Grown ups pick up the phone and talk to one another. That is the accepted way of doing it.
Not everyone works where the brown unicorns fart rainbows. Some of us work where Supervisors don't answer the phone, aren't truthful about conversations when they do answer, and don't relay the messages they are given.

Overpaid Union Thug

You're misconstruing what he is saying. Calling in sick is something you should pick up the phone and call in and do. Calling your doctor because you have a lump on your penis is something you should call to do. Telling your mom you love her is something you should pick up the phone to do. Texting your wife to let her know you on your way home so she can have dinner ready is totally acceptable. Or saying, "hey honey I'm stopping at the store for milk and bread, do we need anything else?", is acceptable.

All he is saying is that calling in sick is something you should be picking up the phone to do. Texting is kind of cowardly and the easy way out.

If anyone else had made the comment Dave did no one would be shaking a stick at them. But because it's Dave everyone shakes the whole tree.

There is nothing brave about calling in verbally. There is nothing cowardly in texting in either. Especially if you can't even talk well enough to be understood by the person on the other end. By your logic everyone should have to go into work and find the person they need to talk to and tell them face to face that they aren't working that day. Because that is the only truly brave way to communicate right? Or maybe your just over thinking this. You make it sound like we are talking about two fueding men that are trading threats. It's just calling in man.

Overpaid Union Thug

You're misconstruing what he is saying. Calling in sick is something you should pick up the phone and call in and do. Calling your doctor because you have a lump on your penis is something you should call to do. Telling your mom you love her is something you should pick up the phone to do. Texting your wife to let her know you on your way home so she can have dinner ready is totally acceptable. Or saying, "hey honey I'm stopping at the store for milk and bread, do we need anything else?", is acceptable.

All he is saying is that calling in sick is something you should be picking up the phone to do. Texting is kind of cowardly and the easy way out.

If anyone else had made the comment Dave did no one would be shaking a stick at them. But because it's Dave everyone shakes the whole tree.

There is nothing brave about calling in verbally. There is nothing cowardly in texting in either. Especially if you can't even talk well enough to be understood by the person on the other end. I've done both and neither required any level of bravery but both DID accomplish my goal of letting the center know I wouldn't be there.

By your logic everyone should have to go into work and find the person they need to talk to and tell them face to face that they aren't working that day. Because that is the only truly brave way to communicate right? Or maybe your just over thinking this. You make it sound like we are talking about two fueding men that are trading threats. It's just calling in man.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Grown ups pick up the phone and talk to one another. That is the accepted way of doing it.
I know you're a grandfather, so you're getting up there. But texting is no longer taboo. I talk to my center manager and Sups more by text than by phone. Even a lot of our communication inside the company is done via Skype now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know you're a grandfather, so you're getting up there. But texting is no longer taboo. I talk to my center manager and Sups more by text than by phone. Even a lot of our communication inside the company is done via Skype now.

I am very familiar with the benefits of texts and telecommuting. I still contend that the appropriate way to call in sick is to actually pick up the phone and speak to another human being.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OMG, Frigid, I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed your response.....that's rich !!! I'm still chuckling!! :thumbup:

Cementups

Box Monkey
There is nothing brave about calling in verbally. There is nothing cowardly in texting in either. Especially if you can't even talk well enough to be understood by the person on the other end. I've done both and neither required any level of bravery but both DID accomplish my goal of letting the center know I wouldn't be there.

By your logic everyone should have to go into work and find the person they need to talk to and tell them face to face that they aren't working that day. Because that is the only truly brave way to communicate right? Or maybe your just over thinking this. You make it sound like we are talking about two fueding men that are trading threats. It's just calling in man.

white-flag.png

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
If you're sick you are sick. If they don't want to believe you then you can stay out more than a day and get a doctors note.

9.5 everyday

The only reason management was pissed was because that meant a sup would have to put on Browns to cover the route. They hate that. And then senior driver would probably grieve it bc a sup delivered packages.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If the ODS is "Call the center ASAP" I place the call.
If the ODS only requires a text response I respond accordingly.
If the ODS is "Call the center ASAP" I remind them I haven't received my UPS issued cell phone yet.

11 of them would be :censored2: as they would have to work.
Having trouble finding the part of the contract that states only a certain percentage of drivers are allowed to get sick at one time. ;)