Sick kid

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Cman84, May 11, 2016.

1. Cman84

Cman84 New Member

I have a sick 8 month old.if i call into work and take him to go to the dr.will the dr write me a note excusing me from work.i hav 2 occurences in the last 90 days.one of them i had a drs note for.any advice is helpful

2. Do what you gotta do. I don't think the doctor is going to write you a note, you aren't the sick one.

3. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

You got sick option days?

4. Cman84

Cman84 New Member

I have 2 optional days but i dont know if i can use them like a sick day.im in central states

5. sailfish

sailfish Having way too much fun.

No. Those need ten days notice where I'm at. But you're in the union right? Family emergency. Let them live with it and figure something out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Are they option 3 days?

7. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

A lot of times here, the OMS will code it out as option day, if you ask them, and have a good reason. They are usually more human than the sups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. UPSmechanicinblue

UPSmechanicinblue Active Member

Effective May 1, 1980, all seniority employees (including part-time employees) shall receive two (2) optional holidays as provided above. (Note: One (1) of the optional holidays is in lieu of the negotiated sick day, effective the same date.)

9. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I used to mess up so bad, my wife never would trust me again. You have to lose the prescriptions and forgot what the doctor said.

10. Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty Cardboard Pusher

Let them know. If your kids are sick they are first priority. Things come up. Most of my sick days are for when my kiddos are sick. Good luck. UPS always forgets the human factor.

11. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

How long have you worked for UPS?

12. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Take your kid to the doctor. When you call in explain the situation maybe they can hook you up with a option day, maybe not but it doesn't hurt to try

13. Cman84

Cman84 New Member

10+ years

14. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

shouldn't be a problem. call them and say you have a sick kid. always get a note from doctor if you need it or not. one supe may say you don't need it while another may say later they want it. try to cover all the bases.

if they give you a hard time , talk to a steward and file a grievance . family always comes first even if you have to take a hit for them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. bleedinbrown58

Do you realize, as a father, you're entitled under FMLA for up to 12 weeks off following the birth of a child? You can apply for "intermittent FMLA" and take your 12weeks off as separate single days (or several days in a row, or single weeks as needed). That way, when you need a day off to care for your baby....they can't peg you for attendance issues.

I don't know if you're a FTer or PTer...but PTers can still qualify for FMLA up to 6 weeks off.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  16. HollandMan73

HollandMan73 Member

Yes.....FMLA......you should be able to get your other occurences scrubbed as well. Plenty of info on fmla on the d.o.l. site. You'll be fine. Just don't abuse the fmla as they can terminate you for that.

17. Dr.Brown

Dr.Brown Swollen Member

take the day off

family first!

18. BigBrownCloaca

BigBrownCloaca New Member

I would just call and explain yourself to them. It could be a "family emergency" I've seen it happen a few times and they kinda just slide it under the radar. Just as long as its not a weekly thing.

19. bleedinbrown58

you've worked here five minutes....sshh. Adults are talking.

20. BigBrownCloaca

BigBrownCloaca New Member

That made me laugh.