Sick of hearing from customers, "working late, huh?"

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Moving preload back an hour and a half moves everything back an hour and a half. No more late pickups for high volume shippers. All the sorts would have to move back an hour and a half. Even if you ignored all of that, you still aren't moving volume any faster over the ground. So packages that could be delivered in 2 days are now taking 3 days. More 1DA, 2DA, and 3DA volume would have to go by air to make the commits. It makes it all more expensive.

Here you go again confusing people with hard facts.

JL 0513

I was a utility driver then so basically yes lol. But I hate lazy people so much. If you live close to a store then drive your ass there and get what you need there. People that order their toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, and dog food are the worst

Just about everything we deliver could be found in stores accessible to our customers. You're suggesting we just go out of business?

Those lazy people buying stuff online are creating union jobs for you and your fellow teamsters.

This should be obvious yet IHitTrafficSigns somehow disagrees with reality.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, UPS wants to stick their head in the sand so to speak as when to start preload. A few late airs cures that. Our preload is starting at 2:30 am tonight. Still won't get out of the building til after 8 am. I don't mind putting in an 11 to 12 hour day! Overtime!!$!!$!!$.

Technically it would be 2:30 am this morning.

JL 0513

We need real links to your figure.

Do they include retirees? How about retirees like me that work part time, but don't get enough hours to be considered employed?

DLS, Department of Labor Statistics is where the numbers are from. There's 144M people with jobs in the US. We can talk all day about who's who. That's the number out of 322M people. Thought this was all common knowledge, but apparently not.

The labor participation rate is the rate that matters though. The one economists really look at. That's 62%, the lowest since Carter's wonderful years. In it's basic definition, that's the labor participation rate of the able bodied population that could be working.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
DLS, Department of Labor Statistics is where the numbers are from. There's 144M people with jobs in the US. We can talk all day about who's who. That's the number out of 322M people. Thought this was all common knowledge, but apparently not.

The labor participation rate is the rate that matters though. The one economists really look at. That's 62%, the lowest since Carter's wonderful years. In it's basic definition, that's the labor participation rate of the able bodied population that could be working.

I looked at the DLS, and yes, it counts everybody over the age of 16. However, it doesn't discount those of us who are retired, a number that is growing every day.

Suck it up, work late and soon you will have your premium car.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I looked at the DLS, and yes, it counts everybody over the age of 16. However, it doesn't discount those of us who are retired, a number that is growing every day.

Does it include those who have stopped looking for work?

JL 0513

I don't mind working late, it's having to hear it from the customers constantly that wears on you. Yeah, it's small talk still.

I'm already living it up. 2003 Corolla baby! No need to go over the top with something like a Camry.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Does it include those who have stopped looking for work?

I'm not going to wade through all the available reports.

Like all statistical analyses, the numbers can be manipulated to prove or disprove anything.

(And, yes, I did have a course in analytical statistics.)

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I'm not going to wade through all the available reports.

Like all statistical analyses, the numbers can be manipulated to prove or disprove anything.

(And, yes, I did have a course in analytical statistics.)
Wasn't it Mark Twain who said " There are lies, there are damn lies, and then there are statistics".

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I don't mind working late, it's having to hear it from the customers constantly that wears on you. Yeah, it's small talk still.

I'm already living it up. 2003 Corolla baby! No need to go over the top with something like a Camry.
You have some dubs on that bitch????

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I either say that we don't work banker hours or that you better get use to it because this next month we'll be out here until 2 am..that usually shuts them the hell up..