sick

DainGrant

Whats up my bros and sis. I went to the emergency room last night spent the night and then this morning the doc did a follow up. He gave me 5 days off and some medication to help get me better. Contacted my manager who told me that 5.days is too long they.need in wtf! Any thoughts?

Take the 5 as prescribed and then contact doc , say you still feel off, and take 5 more. Next time mgr will stick to what he knows.

DainGrant

Thanks y,all i really appreciate it. These ppl say the value employees which i already kno they dnt but this goes to show how fkup the really think i should get out of the hospital later today

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks y,all i really appreciate it. These ppl say the value employees which i already kno they dnt but this goes to show how fkup the really think i should get out of the hospital later today
You cannot work under doctors orders not to. If you feel better sooner, go back to the doc. Some people recover from this flue in a few days. We have had several off a week. Some it lasts close to a month.

stink219

Next time just tell him your under the doctors care for the next 5 days. You DO NOT need to disclose ANY information on your condition.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Whats up my bros and sis. I went to the emergency room last night spent the night and then this morning the doc did a follow up. He gave me 5 days off and some medication to help get me better. Contacted my manager who told me that 5.days is too long they.need in wtf! Any thoughts?

Take off as long as you need and as long as your doctor will cover you. All you are required to do - contractually - is to contact him one hour before your start time to explain to him how long you'll be out. If he wants you to check in periodically, so be it. You are also required to call him the day before you'll be back. Otherwise, **** your manager.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
yea, get better, I dont want you near me. Like the people who wont sign my board, who think they will get germs. The ones who got a flu shot, and are sicker than me, who never has. With the hand sanitizing wipes, etc. Yes I use them when a noticeably sick person is snotting all over my pen. Most of the time I use nothing, wash my hands when necessary, not just because they are dirty. Dirt never killed anyone.
I eat vegetables, lean meat, and take care of myself. Praise God, I havent been sick in yrs, unless tired is sick. Get plenty of rest.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Ask him what's he working in the hub for since he's got a medical degree. When he informs you he doesn't, tell him you'll take the advice of someone who does.

outta hours

What if you come in against the doctors orders, to " help them out ". Then you are involved in an accident when you should not have been working? Your sup will run & hide from the fact he guilted you into showing up. The aftermath will be all on you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just make sure you have the doctor fill out FMLA paperwork so they cant **** with you later.

FMLA paperwork for the flu? Are you kidding me?

To the OP---you cannot come back to work until you have been medically cleared. If you are feeling better before the 5 days is up by all means go back to the doctor so that you can come back to work. If you feel that you need more time go back to the doctor to have the work release note extended.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
FMLA gets abused at my center. Then they all get mad when they really need and the center manager wants proof. I agree flu is no reason for FMLA time.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
FMLA gets abused at my center. Then they all get mad when they really need and the center manager wants proof. I agree flu is no reason for FMLA time.

Family and Medical Leave Act

Overview
The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:

• Twelve workweeks of leave in a 12-month period for:
    • the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
    • the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
    • to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
    • a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
    • any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty"
I have folks that have spinal arthritis and severe complications from diabetes; they occasionally take FMLA leave when they feel they can't work. How is FMLA being "abused"? I agree FMLA should not be used for the flu; that's why we have doctor's notes and sick days.