Side Deals with Management

iruhnman630

8hr days being honored by giving said requester the day off instead.
Assuming nobody else got denied a requested day off, where's the problem here? 8 hr requests are typically used to make an evening commitment. Easier to make it if the driver has the day off instead of rushing home because someone else feels he must work his 8 hrs.

edit to add: also assuming the driver would prefer the off day over his paycheck.

Buck Fifty

Here is another example. If you have stagger start times,lets say 815 and 830. Some drivers (runner gunners) can sneak out and get by with it. As for everybody else, no such luck. Then there is always the private phone call made to a low seniority driver asking him to stay home, while completely ignoring the seniority list. Although, I will say at our building these are few as of late, but I'm not naive enough to think it that it is completely gone. Its up to the driver in all these situations to hold themselves and each other accountable. Management will always use these tactics to help themselves and tear down any and all uniformity of their drivers. I encourage any and all drug deals to be denied and exposed.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Assuming nobody else got denied a requested day off, where's the problem here? 8 hr requests are typically used to make an evening commitment. Easier to make it if the driver has the day off instead of rushing home because someone else feels he must work his 8 hrs.

edit to add: also assuming the driver would prefer the off day over his paycheck.
Because for people like me, that go by the book, they are inconveniced by honoring what I requested because of the majority of people who would take the no pay. Requesting 8hrs means I want to work up to 8hrs, not requesting a day off. Days off in my center are used as leverage with drivers, I come to work to work, not go home.

brown_trousers

Wouldn't bonus be a side deal? I'm pretty sure it's nowhere to be found in the contract.

So we are not allowed to do anything unless contract language specifically gives us permission to do so?

What if my nose itches, and I want to scratch it???? :) Must I consult the union contract?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I informed them at lunch I would need help. Told them at 4 I still needed help exactly how much and where the stops were. They told me they had help. 4:45 help will need to meet me soon. 5:15 I'm brining stops back if help doesn't come in 5 min. 5:25 told me not to bring stops back. Too late I was on the road and didn't get the message until I was at the center. Walked in told them stops were on the truck.

You were told not to bring back stops and you brought them back anyway??

Yes but he bid on a route with a late pick up and surrounding drivers shouldn't have to cover this for him all the time. That was also his choice to bid that route and unless formally requesting an 8.0 he should have to run his route.

He should have to run his route regardless of the 8 hour request.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yep asked me to do this just last Tuesday I said nope I need to work. I think they were pretty upset. It was almost as if you need to work so bad how dare you ask for only 8 hours. Had two 8 hr requests last week brought back stops on both of them. Was dispatched around 9 hours.

Did they say to bring them back or did you do it on your own?

I informed them at lunch I would need help. Told them at 4 I still needed help exactly how much and where the stops were. They told me they had help. 4:45 help will need to meet me soon. 5:15 I'm brining stops back if help doesn't come in 5 min. 5:25 told me not to bring stops back. Too late I was on the road and didn't get the message until I was at the center. Walked in told them stops were on the truck.

He should have to run his route regardless of the 8 hour request.

I have been down this road several times, with the problem reoccurring with each new center manager.
I handle it the same way Brownslave did.
I let them know before I leave and periodically throughout the day that I will require help per my eight hour request.
When they fail to accommodate me, I bring back the remaining stops.
Do this several times and they will know your aren't bluffing.
This hasn't been a problem for me for quite some time.
They usually come to me before I have a chance to complain to ask what I need to take off to make it back in time.

P.S. I am curious Nancy, why do think that the company has the right to tell me I can't bring stops back on a day where I have an approved 8 hour request?

stink219

Im just curious as to what kind of "agreements" people are making with management. You mentioned lunch times, what other agreements are being made?
We all have an agreement with management. It was negotiated for 2008-2013 already. Or do you mean an "extra contractual agreement" that should NEVER recognized? Every time you give in to this practice it weakens us as a union. Weak drivers do it as to not have that target on their back. But this is UPS, we already have a target on our backs.....yes, even you runner flunkies with the yellow stripe painted on your backs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That would be a big 10-4. If u noticed I said I didn't get that message until I was back at the building. Not that it would of mattered I have a right to my 8.0. Third one of the month is tomorrow my route will be 50 miles from the center I sure hope I don't have to bring any back.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Driver speaks to dispatcher (the one who makes the plan, and who looks at the plan to see if it is ok); how is the union weakened by this? The contract states we are to submit this in writing 48 hrs in advance. Why? If I can go to my boss one on one and have this convo, who is hurt?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Seeing as how the contract does not (at least in our supplement) does not specify seniority rights concerning who is asked to go home first (it's more a courtesy to the senior driver), isn't any and all instances where this is done (provided it's not in the supplement) in effect a 'side-deal'?

Buck Fifty

Driver speaks to dispatcher (the one who makes the plan, and who looks at the plan to see if it is ok); how is the union weakened by this? The contract states we are to submit this in writing 48 hrs in advance. Why? If I can go to my boss one on one and have this convo, who is hurt?

All the people who cant go to the boss. 48 hr request carries no penalty with it, but it seems you are very special. What did you do to become so special.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
"Seniority always prevails." That's how we argue as to who has the rights to a lay-off day - however, the employer has the option to cut a late employee because other language has specified the employee loses their right to work for that day.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

We all have an agreement with management. It was negotiated for 2008-2013 already. Or do you mean an "extra contractual agreement" that should NEVER recognized? Every time you give in to this practice it weakens us as a union. Weak drivers do it as to not have that target on their back. But this is UPS, we already have a target on our backs.....yes, even you runner flunkies with the yellow stripe painted on your backs.

A contract is a guideline, not a bible. It does not and was never meant to flesh EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE scenario that comes up, and even ehere it does (like the aforementioned requesting 8hr days, or the "must take lunch between 3rd and 5th hour etc.), provided no one is immediately affected outside the two parties (driver and mgr) and nothing technically illegal going on, real life and flexibility should happen.

And enough with the 'yellow drivers too afraid to stand up to mgmt'! I learned a lesson a long time ago: life is full of compromises; you pick your battles. I've been fired 3 times from this company; two times they had me dead-to-rights and the third time i was a rookie driver who didnt know nothin', but had been an all-star preloader. 'Standing my ground' on when i took my lunch and whining about other drivers blowing their money away by running their lunches did not save my job; putting my head down, getting it done, being known for having a smile when i shouldnt have one, being there willing to help when someone fell into a hard time, that saved me, and it came from the mouths from those who fired me, and really had nothing standing between them booting me out the door, not even the union. Layoff the rhetoric! It's tiring, and you aint getting anyone on your side with it.

Last edited:

upser92

Buddy of mine threatened to quit after 3 months so they gave him pickers pay despite him being of the lowest seniority on the belt. Sure enough one day I saw his checked and flipped out and he admitted that he made a deal with our FT sup. So I filed immediately, and not only got pick pay but was paid a dollar for every hour he got paid, wound up being close to $400.

To the newhires, don't be afraid of busting management for breaking union rules, you won't lose

'Lord Brown's bidding'

"Seniority always prevails." That's how we argue as to who has the rights to a lay-off day - however, the employer has the option to cut a late employee because other language has specified the employee loses their right to work for that day.

Steward, while that is the accepted notion, the contract only specifies who has the right to work. Ergo, the accepted tradition, by defintion, is an 'extra-contractual agreement'........unless it is specified in your supplement. However, it does not really go against the SPIRIT of our contract, and thus unless you are an affected lower-seniority driver you tend not to care, or dismiss it with, "Well, dems breaks, son. You'll get yours." Nobody is hurt......and neither are they if I use MY cellphone, or take MY lunch on MY route at 4pm.

Last edited:

Red Dawn

Combos on split shift making deals to work straight 8. Union against it mgr for it. Don't under stand it but it is what it is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would be a big 10-4. If u noticed I said I didn't get that message until I was back at the building. Not that it would of mattered I have a right to my 8.0. Third one of the month is tomorrow my route will be 50 miles from the center I sure hope I don't have to bring any back.

Did you happen to track any of the packages that you brought back? I would be very curious if they were exception scanned rather than delivered.

stink219

A contract is a guideline, not a bible. It does not and was never meant to flesh EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE scenario that comes up, and even ehere it does (like the aforementioned requesting 8hr days, or the "must take lunch between 3rd and 5th hour etc.), provided no one is immediately affected outside the two parties (driver and mgr) and nothing technically illegal going on, real life and flexibility should happen.

And enough with the 'yellow drivers too afraid to stand up to mgmt'! I learned a lesson a long time ago: life is full of compromises; you pick your battles. I've been fired 3 times from this company; two times they had me dead-to-rights and the third time i was a rookie driver who didnt know nothin', but had been an all-star preloader. 'Standing my ground' on when i took my lunch and whining about other drivers blowing their money away by running their lunches did not save my job; putting my head down, getting it done, being known for having a smile when i shouldnt have one, being there willing to help when someone fell into a hard time, that saved me, and it came from the mouths from those who fired me, and really had nothing standing between them booting me out the door, not even the union. Layoff the rhetoric! It's tiring, and you aint getting anyone on your side with it.
I'm sorry. The only reason that I use the word yellow is because they won't allow me to post the word p@ssy! Follow the rules dude. Your obviously the weak.