Side Deals with Management

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A lot of what I call, "instant seniority". Management calls selective people asking if they want to stay home bypassing the seniority list.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
People are so lazy they do not want to work 5 hours. No offense meant to Rawrzxor. .he'll if the hub is working longer than 5 hours there are bigger issues.
Painting with that management brush again, perhaps people who applied were told they would be working 3-4hrs, agreeing to it because they have another job they go to or come from. Lazy, maybe some, poor management planning and hiring, most definite.

O

OLDMAN3

Driver speaks to dispatcher (the one who makes the plan, and who looks at the plan to see if it is ok); how is the union weakened by this? The contract states we are to submit this in writing 48 hrs in advance. Why? If I can go to my boss one on one and have this convo, who is hurt?
Who is hurt?
The driver that properly requested, and was denied the 8 hour request 48 hours before. Of course the driver who made the side deal may not even know he was doing this to another driver. Management uses days off and unscheduled 8 hrs to extract favors from drivers who will be their whipping boys.
We not only have this happen, but also vacation days denied only to have less senior drivers not work. This favoritism personally make me sick to my stomach. I did my time as the low man on the pole without resorting to this crap, and I have no respect for those drivers who play nice so they get favors.
Quoting from the Bible to justify nepotism and back room deals also irks me. I really doubt Jesus would approve of this behavior.

Rawrzxor

People are so lazy they do not want to work 5 hours. No offense meant to Rawrzxor. .he'll if the hub is working longer than 5 hours there are bigger issues.
Reasonable accommodation under the federal law AMA, Americans With Disabilities Act. You can be jealous if you want, but I live in hell. The least they can do is accommodate me since I'm such a good worker, let alone the obvious implications.

Rawrzxor

Painting with that management brush again, perhaps people who applied were told they would be working 3-4hrs, agreeing to it because they have another job they go to or come from. Lazy, maybe some, poor management planning and hiring, most definite.

Absolutely. When I was hired, I thought there was going to be a solid start time and a solid end time, but it changes every day, and I also factored that into going to college, as well. It's cool that I can pick some more hours up if I like, but along with an hour and a half drive--collectively, which tacks on another unpaid 7.5 hours per week--I simply cannot work 7, 8, 9 hours.

The first week I was hired, actually, we were working 9, 10 hours every day, back in February. I wasn't going to school then, so I was like 'yay money'; however, incidentally, I ended up being paid for only 4 hours each day. Apparently, trainees aren't allowed to work longer than 4 hours. Well, they worked me and didn't pay me. A week later when I found out, looking at my paystub on upsers, I brought it up to my full time sup. He said he could just give me an extra dollar an hour to make up for it, but never did. I brought it up to HR, and they said that since I couldn't prove it (scanner records only existing for 3 days), then they couldn't pay me. I count my hours every day, now.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Bear in mind that some people signed up for a part time job because that's all they need/want--they're not necessarily lazy. When I was hired initially as a part timer I made it clear that I couldn't work past 4AM at the latest (night sort) because I had to at least get 2 hours sleep before my full time job. They were agreeable to that when I was hired so come hell or high water at 4AM management got me out the door, except 2 times during peak they asked me to stay late and I obliged.

I believe seniority rules, however I have no problem with part timers who have another job being allowed to leave accordingly.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Driver speaks to dispatcher (the one who makes the plan, and who looks at the plan to see if it is ok); how is the union weakened by this? The contract states we are to submit this in writing 48 hrs in advance. Why? If I can go to my boss one on one and have this convo, who is hurt?
That's an outside contract agreement. Which is prohibited.