Sign here

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Day One on a construction site I talk to the foreman and ask him/her where they want their packages left. There is usually a portable office but sometimes they use a trailer car for their deliveries. I do not walk around constructions sites trying to find someone.
Are you DRing or NI1 if the foreman isn't available? We had a driver fired about a year ago for DRing this exact same way as the package came up missing, happened to be 3k worth of specialized tools.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
People can sign they just don't want to.
I wasn't allowed to. I worked in a hardware store for 2 years and the driver wanted us to sign every time and everyone would tell him "Sorry dude, manager's on his way." I don't sign my name for packages worth more than I'm going to make that week. That's my manager's job, he's paid to take that responsibility, I'm not.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have had this ongoing problem for a few years. With a major electric company. They closed the storeroom, to cut "cost" and there is a security gate. There is a bell no one answers, ni3, ship it back.
Then the head honcho got me a badge. Now I can get through the gate, but not in the building. Head honcho has to come pick stuff up, or its going back. Got my badge keyed to get in building, and some sdn's on the desk, so I can leave them every day, cool for about 2 yrs.
Then a few weeks ago during one of my bi weekly rides, we go to deliver and the guy who had the sdn's in his hand and said, no more. He got blamed for a lost pkg, that he "signed" for.......Boss says she will get with me the next day about what we will do.......Does not. Got the mechanic in the garage to leave sdns for his stuff. So I leave his, ni1 the rest.

Got a call to call center asap. Shipper concern. Tell 3 bosses, three separate times the problem, asked to call in 3 times. Yes I can get in the gate, yes I can get in the building, even if the guy is there he will not sign, exercise in futility.

Why did I leave one pkg, but not the other 3? Because the garage has sdn's and will not accept the rest of the stuff only his. Well why didnt I just leave them at the other building, and just use the name for the one? But that would be dishonest, I replied. And I would be cheating myself of credit for a stop.

so today, a different guy forges his bosses name, I didnt know He signed I was happy, I left. Before I leave they tell me that they are going to get me a list of names and phone numbers, and I can call each person, and find out where to take it. Not happening. I told him his people need to get with my people, thats all above my paygrade, and I dont have a phone, cya.
What a way to run a major company, reminds me of mine.

degill7994

had construction job site yrs ago that would give me Shiet everyday,not my job, go find so and so ,even told me to put on hard hat and take it up ! This all ended when I told them that the NDA letters were from payroll ,,they lined up to sign cuz day before I sent their crap back refused !!
Construction sites are the worst. No one ever wants to sign for packages. At least with stores you know the manager is not far away. With the construction sites once they realize the packages will be sent back they are a little more eager to sign.

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
State and city employees are the worst about signing. They all act afraid they might have to pay for the packages ( government - other people's money :P ) or they might do one bit of work more than anyone else.

Future

Victory Ride
Construction sites are the worst. No one ever wants to sign for packages. At least with stores you know the manager is not far away. With the construction sites once they realize the packages will be sent back they are a little more eager to sign.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Construction sites.....I give them to the clerk at night......he reroutes them to the main office of the construction company!!!Had way to many experiences of wandering around a construction site looking for a signature....waste of time and effort!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Construction sites.....I give them to the clerk at night......he reroutes them to the main office of the construction company!!!Had way to many experiences of wandering around a construction site looking for a signature....waste of time and effort!

If the construction company wanted their stuff sent to the main office they would have had them addressed there. They want their stuff sent to the job site because that's where it is needed. Just because you are unable to take control of what can be a difficult delivery situation does not mean that the company should be penalized by having to wait an additional 2-4 days for their packages. Most job sites have a portable office or storage trailer for their deliveries.

oldngray

nowhere special
If the construction company wanted their stuff sent to the main office they would have had them addressed there. They want their stuff sent to the job site because that's where it is needed. Just because you are unable to take control of what can be a difficult delivery situation does not mean that the company should be penalized by having to wait an additional 2-4 days for their packages. Most job sites have a portable office or storage trailer for their deliveries.

And frequently nobody will be in that office trailer so you have to wander around trying to find someone. Some construction sites are OK though where they just let you drop the packages and will sign for them instead of you needing to wade through knee deep mud to get to the people.

Indecisi0n

I normally ask two people before I turn around and leave.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I will give construction sites a reasonable amount of time to set up some sort of a designated receiving spot. Most of the time, as Upstate says, there is a trailer with a foreman who will either sign or have a stack of signed delivery notices ready to go. However...if they are unwilling or unable to do this and instead expect me to wander around begging everyone I see for a signature, I start RTS'ing stuff until they become more cooperative. I'm not putting a hard hat on, I'm not climbing ladders and I'm not going to spend 10 minutes on my phone trying to get hold of someone who might be willing to sign for a box of bolts. Part of the business of managing a construction site is to have a system in place for dealing with deliveries in a routine and timely manner and if they arent willing to cooperate with me in this regard then I will RTS their stuff and devote my time and energy to the customers who DO want to sign for their packages.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I went in to a contruction site for the first time once and was greeted by a misspelled "deliverys" sign with an arrow spray-painted on a piece of scrap plywood. It directed me to a beat-up old jobsite trailer parked in the mud, with another crude sign saying "deliverys here". On the steps of this trailer was one of those little spray-can air horns with a sign saying "blow horn 3x for deliverys". I blew that horn 3 times (those things are LOUD) and in less than a minute the foreman came rolling up on a quad to sign for the packages. He said that all I had to do in the future was blow that horn and if he couldnt drop what he was doing he would send someone else to sign immediately. I never once had an issue there. Clear directions to a delivery point and a way to contact someone who can sign for packages- it doesnt have to be that difficult or complicated!

Sent using BrownCafe App

PhatAzz

Our center uses a "Signed Authorization to Leave Packages" Letter. Dispatch Sup puts CPAD note on the stop that says "SDN on file - J Doe receiver. OK to leave at Front Door trailer 12. It's something we came up with when Volkswagen decided to build a plant here. 70 construction trailers to possibly deliver to daily. VW called it "Trailer City". No one was ever available to sign at a lot of the trailers, although they were all usually unlocked. Trailer City was around for over two years while the construction was going on. Worked really well. On Road Sups spent a half a day walking over the site to get customers to agree and sign the letters. That headache is gone now so if the need arises any where else, the Driver takes the letter to the customer and asks them to sign. Letter is kept in center. The letter states the same information that's printed on the back of the Info Notice. Security Sup said it's Ok to do. It's great for construction sites and other non DR locations. Customers are usually eager to sign the letter. We started using it at other locations after that.

My attitude on people not wanting to sign for shipments is - If it's not important to you or your employees that you get your stuff, then why should it be important to me? See you tomorrow.