Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by 40 and out, Dec 30, 2009.

1. 40 and out

40 and out Active Member

When I got back to the building tonight there was a sign up sheet stating "Due to expected heavy volume in January, sign your name and provide contact number if you are interested in coming in at 600 and working preload in addition to your driving duties" Never seen this before. Is this happening anywhere else? We are already working 10 and 11 hour days. No big drop off in volume like there used to be.

2. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

I don't know how that is going to work drivers can't work more than 12 hr. Anymore than 12 and they wouldn't be able to work the next day.

3. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

12 is a UPS rule. The DOT rule is 14.
    You must have 10 hours off between shifts.

4. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I have not seen it yet but sign me up i would love to start at 6:00.

5. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

I'd be on that like white on rice.

6. satellitedriver

satellitedriver Moderator Staff Member

11hrs on road.
    3hrs other work.
    Then there is a total number of hours in a 7 day period, but I might be mistaken about that.

7. CutDriver4Life

CutDriver4Life New Member

I believe its that u can't work more than 14 hrs per day, DOT rules.
    And no more than 60 hrs/week. and 10 hrs between shifts like 9five said.
    hrs dont matter if they're on or off the road.

8. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

You can't be on the road once you hit the 60hr mark but you can still do inside non-driving work.

9. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

Out in the West if you "opt in" to work the preload along with your regular driving duties or anything that could be considered "voluntary" you give up your 9.5 protection on those days, because you asked for "extra" work.

We currently have a driver doing air shuttle in the AM prior to doing his extended route(and 2 hours before our reg start time) as part of his reg daily assignment. A more senior driver tried to bump him off and was told sure, but if you want the shuttle work, it will be considered "extra" and you will go over 9.5 most days.

10. UPSviking

UPSviking New Member

Over here we get asked that every day..... Both in the mornings and evenings.... As I understand it´s because they can't get the approval for new hires, but they can give OT to drivers...