Signature required packages

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Well, will it be pistols at dawn, or watermellons this weekend? Your call.:wink2:

I dont have a problem with either of you two going that extra mile for the customer. I do it to when I think the situation warrants it. But in this case, I do not.

That being said, I would never leave a package that I did not think safe to leave.

d

PS, customers writing on packages......Like fragile, glass on a box of bolts?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If the shipper puts a Next Day sticker on a Next Day Saver do you make it a point to deliver it by 10:30 or do you deliver it by 3? If a shipper requires a certain level of service they should take the time to figure out how to properly achieve it.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
It's not like these are ASD labels
They are computer generated and it gives you every option that UPS offers right in front of you on the screen

No offense, but I release the box and go to my next stop

Jim Kemp

Sup told us "if it does not scan Sig required, driver release it"

I always got a kick out of the cases of wine that had printed on the label "do not del to intoxicated person"
"will you please blow into this before signing"
We need a breathilizer built into the DIAD

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
You also do realize that if there was a concern at all.
It could be 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years
Management will pull up the 1Z number and see that sexy little 03 in the middle
Just drop the box and jump in that sexy dirty brown truck of yours and move on

BigBrownSanta

Whenever I get a package that says signature required but is not coded in the tracking number, I get a signature but I don't change the diad to reflect a signature required package.

Also, back when I was a letter center driver, we were told if an international waybill didn't have a service level checked, we were to mark the highest service level.

I'm sure that caused billing problems when a shipper received a bill for Express Plus shipping when they really only wanted Standard shipping.

Upslady20

If drivers go in and change the 1z number to reflect a signature when the system goes to track that package it will suddenly not exist. So now we will not only have done a signature for free but will probably end up buying the contents as well. Where are you going in and changing the status??? Address corrections yes but service level no way.. please explain how that package can now be tracked.
I was told by LP here in south florida to go by the scan not by stickers or anything written on the boxes. He even called a shipper that was slapping signature required stickers on their boxes to stop doing that. That lasted a couple of weeks and then they started using them again. If it comes from a non-computer generated account you need to get the signature if the sticker is affixed. But most importantly use common sense.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The status he means is in the pkg info screen where you can add sig. required so the acct. gets billed for it. I wonder if the barcode could be entered if you changed 42 to 03?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I scan the pkg then after the scan go to pkg info it will go a screen that shows 4/5 differnt options including address corrections. Of the other options there are signature required and adult signature req. I don't know if it actually changes the tracking number but I do know that after you hit sig req it shows an s in front of the shipper number on the screen.

Upslady20

I will have to pay closer attention to the board.. I have never noticed that before... will be looking for that in the am... I do address corrections daily just never noticed that you could add a signature and my center management doesn't even know how to use the diad so their sure not going to point that out.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think that's the way I do it. I just do it automatically and now that I think of I I can't remember exactly how I do it.......LOL

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That's when you use your own judgement. Technically they haven't paid for the signature but if you don't feel comfortable with the DR then don't DR. I'd rather have a SA than a DFU.
I agree, it all comes down to driver discretion.
they have not yet totally taken that away.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sup told us "if it does not scan Sig required, driver release it"

I always got a kick out of the cases of wine that had printed on the label "do not del to intoxicated person"
"will you please blow into this before signing"
We need a breathilizer built into the DIAD
mee toooooo!!! LOL use those three dots, the speaker, for your breathalizer.. You will be suprised how many are willing to do it.
Ps I only use that on people I know..........

browniehound

So, the shipper knowingly sends out the package without the proper signature required documentation but yet writes on the package signature required? Sorry, that is just graffiti. There is a right way and they chose not to do it the right way.

I agree with d here. Its the same principle when a shipper writes "NO SiGNATURE REQUIRED" over the entire box. If the box is going to a businsess and the office is locked and nobody anwsers the bell, are you going to leave the box in the hallway of the office building?

Like d said, its just grafitti.

Brownie:peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I actually had a pkg today that someone had written on the bottom of the shipping label "signature required". I DR'd at front door. As I was leaving I was chuckling because of the posts from last night.

BigBrownSanta

Just curious, but, why would the signature required option even be in the diad if you could just DR the package that has signature required written on it? I mean, is there any other reason you would need to add the signature required charge to a package?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was wondering the same thing about DR's. If you are supposed to get a signature from a res cnee then why are MCM, MCW, MCb, MCg in the diad. I sub on certain routes and the cnee's are always expecting to sign for their pkgs. I always say don't need it and have a nice day... ( I am talking about just a general day to day basis- I've been told that if the cnee is there get a signature)

Last edited:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Just curious, but, why would the signature required option even be in the diad if you could just DR the package that has signature required written on it? I mean, is there any other reason you would need to add the signature required charge to a package?

I assume it is there for the shippers that have not converted to computer generated labels yet. The old style pick-up book that is hand written has a space for the shipper to note a signature required package and there are stickers in the back of the book to affix to the package. They are green and white and have the UPS logo on them.

BigBrownSanta

I assume it is there for the shippers that have not converted to computer generated labels yet. The old style pick-up book that is hand written has a space for the shipper to note a signature required package and there are stickers in the back of the book to affix to the package. They are green and white and have the UPS logo on them.
I forgot about those shippers. lol.

Even so, if the shipper checks the sig req box in the book, then they should be billed correctly. If I edit the delivery to reflect a sig req status, they may be double billed.

In the end, I think over9five is correct. Get the signature at the least.

Big Babooba

Why is it that a policy that is supposed to be black on white has so many gray ares in it? I bet that if we asked our supervisors what to do, we would get many different answers. Who knows, we might even get the correct procedure.

Last edited: