Signed up for UPS MyChoice... and the notification came.. by US MAIL

AssistantSanta

Interesting. I've come across small envelopes delivered by UPS while I was a helper, but when it comes to UPS itself
the customer notification letters and such come by the US Mail. I thought this is interesting.

UPSGUY72

Interesting. I've come across small envelopes delivered by UPS while I was a helper, but when it comes to UPS itself
the customer notification letters and such come by the US Mail. I thought this is interesting.

It's a lot cheaper to send a letter through the post office than UPS.

Southwestern

I think you have too much time on your hands... UPS utilizes the mail for many communications (employee, consumer, etc.), no surprise really, it's cheaper.

Southwestern

I found it ironic that the FedEx Store received packages from UPS.

A newly constructed, very large FedEx Ground Hub was built within our service center. Several of its clerical staff were QVC whores and had packages delivered to their work almost daily. During the delivery, we also exchanged packages that wound up within the wrong systems (you know, those FedEx Ground packages that flow thousands of miles through multiple UPS facilities). However, FedEx initiated a policy to refuse all UPS deliveries one day...

JonFrum

If the letters are in the "First Class Mail" category, then they must carry USPS postage, and the Postal Service has a legal monopoly, granted by Congress, on delivering them. The Postal Service will sue anyone, including kids and charities, who try to deliver mail door-to-door, especially if they put the mail in a homeowner's mail box.

AssistantSanta

& vice versa... I've delivered plenty of wine boxes, computer parts, etc. to UPS Stores in the past as well...
That's completely different. It's one thing for a GM dealer to have shipment come in a Dodge truck. They don't really have a choice. Quite another to offer a Dodge Neon as a service loaner, because they made that choice.

If the letters are in the "First Class Mail" category, then they must carry USPS postage, and the Postal Service has a legal monopoly, granted by Congress, on delivering them. The Postal Service will sue anyone, including kids and charities, who try to deliver mail door-to-door, especially if they put the mail in a homeowner's mail box.
Yep, the use of mailbox is exclusive to the Postal Service, however what constitutes FCM category and are you saying its illegal for me to send you a correspondence via UPS provided that I don't use mailbox?

If then, what is the lawful use of this https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/r..._pos=1&srch_phr=envelope#UPS+Express+Envelope
It says "For urgent correspondence and documents."

A lot of ball game tickets get UPS'd signature required in those things, as opposed to US Mail Certified Mail.

No doubt cheaper to send it by mail. When UPS sends "thank you for signing up with UPS MyChoice" using US Mail, that's like an indirect way of conveying "US Mail is cheaper for correspondence and we encourage you to change your correspondence shipping needs to US Mail, we're UPS and we do it"

menotyou

bella amicizia
That's completely different. It's one thing for GM dealer to have parts shipment come in a Dodge truck similar to your example that supplier happens to be using. Quite another to offer a Dodge Neon as a service loaner. Yep, the use of mailbox is exclusive to the Postal Service, however what constitutes FCM category and are you saying its illegal for me to send you a correspondence via UPS provided that I don't use mailbox?If then, what is the lawful use of this https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/r..._pos=1&srch_phr=envelope#UPS+Express+EnvelopeIt says "For urgent correspondence and documents."A lot of ball game tickets get UPS'd signature required in those things, as opposed to US Mail Certified Mail. No doubt cheaper to send it by mail. When UPS sends "thank you for signing up with UPS MyChoice" using US Mail, that's like an indirect way of conveying "US Mail is cheaper for correspondence and we encourage you to change your correspondence shipping needs to US Mail, we're UPS and we do it"
The local Volvo dealer uses Toyota cars for their loaners. When I get out of that Toyota, I always say what a good purchase I made in that Volvo.

NYdriver

No doubt cheaper to send it by mail. When UPS sends "thank you for signing up with UPS MyChoice" using US Mail, that's like an indirect way of conveying "US Mail is cheaper for correspondence and we encourage you to change your correspondence shipping needs to US Mail, we're UPS and we do it"
I guess you are also unaware we give the USPS work...surepost.

NYdriver

Thanks for signing up...thats all i need is commits on every stop...NDA isnt enough

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
They all use other services. One, to cut down on their own volume, let someone else handle it. Two, its cheaper to use someone elses back to deliever it. And last, all of them ( maybe not USPS ) see the competition as a good thing.

I have a car that gets packages and bags for a USPS building. I suppose going threw us can be cheaper if you bundle a bunch of work together, paying one rate for a large amount. USPS is a cheaper way to go, and they pay for it with not making any money.

When you have a USPS ( small ) car carrying 400$ total in a car, and that driver makes nearly as much or more then that a day... well you can see why they dont make money. When 5 packages I load into a car might pay for my paycheck at the end of the week. While 10 packages a driver delievers will pay for his / her day of work. You can see why we make money and they dont.

Last edited:
When you have a USPS ( small ) car carrying 400$ total in a car, and that driver makes nearly as much or more then that a day... well you can see why they dont make money. When 5 packages I load into a car might pay for my paycheck at the end of the week. While 10 packages a driver delievers will pay for his / her day of work. You can see why we make money and they dont.

Do you really think a postal driver makes $400 or more a day? That is $115,200 a year or more.

JonFrum

. . . Yep, the use of mailbox is exclusive to the Postal Service, however what constitutes FCM category and are you saying its illegal for me to send you a correspondence via UPS provided that I don't use mailbox?

If then, what is the lawful use of this https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/r..._pos=1&srch_phr=envelope#UPS+Express+Envelope
It says "For urgent correspondence and documents." . . .
Correspondence, or other stuff, that is intended to be treated at First Class Mail must go via the Post Office.

UPS can only handle slow (i.e. "Ground") envelopes, and fast, high-priced (i.e. "NDA, SDA, 3-Day Select") envelopes. Anything that technically qualifies as "First Class Mail" is illegal for UPS to handle. It is also illegal for UPS to charge 44 cents or so to deliver a letter. They must charge several dollars at least.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I found it ironic that the FedEx Store received packages from UPS.
I've delivered to a FEDEX Express driver at his place of work (FEDEX Express building) down the street from our center. I know the driver so I went directly to him and got his signature - just for the hell of it.:its_all_good: