Signing a warning ltr, what do you think?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
No, I have not received the warning ltr, I'm still on notice of receiving a warning ltr, that's according to my sup today. I'm far from being stress out over it, I think its a joke, I don't know how my sup can keep a straight face, when I was in the office the other day and he told me I would be receiving one, I told him he must be joking. that's why I'm wondering if I could get in trouble if I write something to the fact about what I think about this warning ltr.
Can you get in trouble for writing a statement on a warning ltr, besides pissing off your sup?

mva1985

Our preload manager basically told his part time sups that no one can be 100% on the OAO. I've spent the last two weeks doing union contacts on at risk behaviors. I'm waiting for the first warning letter to be issued so I can file a grievance.

The OAO are supposed to be a tool to identify behaviors that might lead to an injury not a tool to discipline employees.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No, I have not received the warning ltr, I'm still on notice of receiving a warning ltr,
no foul, no harm, no grievance until you get the warning letter.

personally, i would sign for it, then write my dispute letter, and make the warning letter a part of the dispute letter. keep it all tied together.

but until you actually get one, there is nothing to do.

btw, while the majority of the time, warning letters are a joke, treat each one seriously, because if you dont respond in a timely manner, it could come back to bite later on.

d

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
No, I have not received the warning ltr, I'm still on notice of receiving a warning ltr, that's according to my sup today. I'm far from being stress out over it, I think its a joke, I don't know how my sup can keep a straight face, when I was in the office the other day and he told me I would be receiving one, I told him he must be joking. that's why I'm wondering if I could get in trouble if I write something to the fact about what I think about this warning ltr.
Can you get in trouble for writing a statement on a warning ltr, besides pissing off your sup?
Not unless you do this.:wink2:
WL.png

jimstud

Banned
by signing the warning letter you are not agreeing with it you are only acknowledging receipt of it. then write in the bottom that you do not agree with it and grieve it. welcome to the wonderful world of J. Royle

OVERBOARD

Steve, Thats a good idea, I like it. I will autograph the LTR with a big X, looks good to me, what can they say.

freecarry88

What is the point of NOT signing a warning letter vs signing one? I am just cusious if I am missing something in the process. I know of nothing in the contract that speaks for or against, I am just curious as I have the "Don't sign anything" line for so long. Will/can this bite someone who signs a warning letter later? If so, how? Has anyone seen this happen?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What is the point of NOT signing a warning letter vs signing one? I am just cusious if I am missing something in the process. I know of nothing in the contract that speaks for or against, I am just curious as I have the "Don't sign anything" line for so long. Will/can this bite someone who signs a warning letter later? If so, how? Has anyone seen this happen?
I know nothingK!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
generally, by signing it, all you are doing is saying they covered it with you. without your signature, all they do is put the date, time and persons present on the form stating they covered it with you.

a warning letter is not a legal document unless they send you and the union a copy via certified mail. without that certified mailed letter, a warning letter you did not get.

until you actually get the certified mailed letter, you dont have grounds to file on what you did not get. kinda like using a fire extinguisher to put out a fire, without the fire even being started.

i always refused to sign anything that was not a requirement of the job. and for sure, never sign something you have not read completely, regardless of what you think it is.

signing with an x is not really a good idea. if you end up at a hearing where they are trying to prove your arrogance to instruction or training, it could come back to haunt you, esp if you end up in front of an arbitrator.

all you do is politely refuse to sign. end of story.

d

D

Dis-organized Labor

Danny beat me to it. The only purpose is to show that the signee acknowledges the letter and cannot allege that it was placed in his/her file without their prior knowledge. It is bot a statement of guilt or innocence. I'm sure someone out there in management may use it for some other purpose, but in a hearing or arbitration, the purpose of the signature will become clear to the lawyers.
I've given Warning Letters to union and union-free people to get their attention to something that needed to be corrected.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
generally, by signing it, all you are doing is saying they covered it with you. without your signature, all they do is put the date, time and persons present on the form stating they covered it with you.

a warning letter is not a legal document unless they send you and the union a copy via certified mail. without that certified mailed letter, a warning letter you did not get.

until you actually get the certified mailed letter, you dont have grounds to file on what you did not get. kinda like using a fire extinguisher to put out a fire, without the fire even being started.

i always refused to sign anything that was not a requirement of the job. and for sure, never sign something you have not read completely, regardless of what you think it is.

signing with an x is not really a good idea. if you end up at a hearing where they are trying to prove your arrogance to instruction or training, it could come back to haunt you, esp if you end up in front of an arbitrator.

all you do is politely refuse to sign. end of story.

d

Thats not the case here, management gives a copy to the employee in person with a steward present. Usually there is 3 copies, one for the employee, one for the steward, and one for the file that is signed and dated by the steward and the manager to verify it was given in a timely manner.

They don't even ask the employee to sign them. They know we always advise against it.

RTS warning letter. Grieve warning letter art. 37,52 but not limited to. Since company finds it so important to give you discipline you must return the favor. Im sure it will be easy to find contract violations which you must grieve.

OVERBOARD

Btw Today I was told I'm not receiving a warning ltr, 3 weeks after I was brought in to the center manager office and was told I was getting one. O well I guess he had a change of heart.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Btw Today I was told I'm not receiving a warning ltr, 3 weeks after I was brought in to the center manager office and was told I was getting one. O well I guess he had a change of heart.

For future reference, if you have not received discipline within 10 days of knowledge of the incident, it is untimely and cannot be given.