Signing Load Quality Papers

theUPSman

Every so often, my sup comes and checks my load quality on one of my 4 trucks. After he's done so, he tells me to sign it. I always do. Is it ok to sign it? I never sign any talk-withs or write-ups for misloads, EVER. Just wondering, as I've read to never sign anything without a steward present. My sup even tells me not to sign any write up I may get.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The only thing that you are required to sign is back of your paycheck.
Everything else is meaningless.

Years ago , we had a p/t who refused to sign anything, so they made him sign a sheet that he received his paycheck every week.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If there is anything written in the document that can later be used towards disciplinary action then don't sign it or have your steward present when you do sign it.

dillweed

You don't have to sign anything unless it's a formal "write up" in the office with a union rep present. Our rep will come right out and tell us whether or not we need to sign, even in the office.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are an adult and as such should be able to figure out on your own whether to sign a piece of paper or not. Dilligaf offered the following excellent advice:

If there is anything written in the document that can later be used towards disciplinary action then don't sign it or have your steward present when you do sign it.

You should always read everything that you are asked to sign and if you feel as though you are being rushed or pressured to sign something then tell that person that you would be happy to sign it after you have had a chance to read it thoroughly and then read it.

BigBrownSanta

Ask to have a copy of the document for your records before you sign it, if you decide to sign it at all. Most times, they aren't going to be willing to give you a copy.

I don't sign anything, period.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
I never sign anything, I tell any supe that my signature is worth lots of money and if they would like to see my name on a sheet of paper they need to be prepared to fork over some cash.

I sign my DVIR everyday. Beyond that I don`t even sign my paycheck thanks to direct deposit/no paper statement. I have had complimentary write ups that I wont sign simply because it will acknowledge my capability of whatever is written on that sheet.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Probation or not you still have the right to a steward. I filed grievances for 9.5's while still on my 30 days. The BA didn't like it much, but because I did that I proved much earlier that they were continually working me over 9.5 without relief. I have a National decision already.

rod

Retired 22 years
I sign my DVIR everyday. Beyond that I don`t even sign my paycheck thanks to direct deposit/no paper statement. I have had complimentary write ups that I wont sign simply because it will acknowledge my capability of whatever is written on that sheet.

I agree with this. If you sign saying that you are an excellant employee then you are saying that you will ALWAYS be an excellant employee and we all know that can't happen everyday. I also suggest if you are in your probationary period that you bark like a dog if they want you to and save the fist in the air tactics until you are "in". :peaceful:

dc_sniper9130

Tailgunner
Every so often, my sup comes and checks my load quality on one of my 4 trucks. After he's done so, he tells me to sign it. I always do. Is it ok to sign it? I never sign any talk-withs or write-ups for misloads, EVER. Just wondering, as I've read to never sign anything without a steward present. My sup even tells me not to sign any write up I may get.

I don't make any of my hourly guys sign anything. My assumption would be that whenever a P/T sup wants you to sign a LQA or misload sheet, its probably just so that anyone else who looks at said sheet can see that he went over it with you.

Notcool

Here at my hub they try get us to sign at least two things a day. I don't sign anything now and the Sup try's to get me into signing all night! Now they are trying to get me with something I had one misload in 3 months and they made me sign this paper. I just laugh and say why?

SFBayUPSer

Okay well once an hour I sign how many scans I have and how many misloads I caught per how many the 'sup' throws in.

Granted, I am having a bit of diffuculty catching some missorts and I have a high number of misloads, but i AM trying, and have slowed down. She does this procedure with what appears to be everyone, although I only actually see her doing it with me and the non new hire guy I work with.

thebrownbox

I got one of those load quality sheets.. lol funny because the guy tried to move around quick so I could not see what it said.

the load was a little off (floor was blocked) but then again I had 3 bulk stops with about 16 boxes each and at the very end I had a 130Lb pool cover come down the belt for me.

bellesotico

BOXstar
I got one of those load quality sheets.. lol funny because the guy tried to move around quick so I could not see what it said.

the load was a little off (floor was blocked) but then again I had 3 bulk stops with about 16 boxes each and at the very end I had a 130Lb pool cover come down the belt for me.

Those load quality audits are so :thumbdown. The only time I have ever see them hauled out is for the purpose of discipline. They use them to build a case against you. So when you say you use methods they can go back to the audits and say "um no you don't..and see you even signed here acknowledging you didn't".
So..regarding load quality audits..always ask to see them. They should be telling you what they observed and what they wrote down. And when they ask you to sign my reply is usually "why don't you sign, it's your audit" followed by a smile, fake laugh and a big fat RTS (refuse to sign) on the signature line. :)

Play their game, keep informed, take direction and be respectful always. Just drives em nuts.