Signs of............. PEAK!!!!

OldManAllowance

We use to plan our own peak, by hand using accounting ledger, and it would involve alot of thought, planning, training, etc. We started in August. Now it is a very top down approach...little input from the center team. Basically you are given a stop/car level...and that's it. Everyone gets a helper or 2 or 3 or more...basically I would answer to a clerk on "these plans".

UPS Lifer

A flashback for you:
IBMimages.jpg

Funny you bring that up - I was just talking to my neighbor about this very thing. $4000 for a computer like this back in '88.

tre305

Only thing my center needs for peak is a small sort which we are the only center in our district w/o one. And come peak, well even now, the percentage of post office packages they want done daily is barely being met now b/c of inadequate work space. Come peak it's going to get even worse. But hey, numbers over productivity right? Don't care how you get it done, just get it done.

UPS Lifer

Only thing my center needs for peak is a small sort which we are the only center in our district w/o one. And come peak, well even now, the percentage of post office packages they want done daily is barely being met now b/c of inadequate work space. Come peak it's going to get even worse. But hey, numbers over productivity right? Don't care how you get it done, just get it done.

You can create your own small sort with totes - bag stands - and a table. Improvise. We did it all the time to make the job easier and better. Go for it!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have no idea what our volume is like right now as I have been out since Aug 1 on a work injury. I have heard through the grapevine that it's crazy right now and they are cutting rtes as much as possible. We have a new center sup (O.R.) and he's pulling his hair out trying to get rtes out and drivers back in all to no avail as the DM is not letting him do his job. I feel for the guy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was on vacation this past week but heard from a few of the drivers that it was a crazy week. I saw the PT preload sup in the grocery store and he told me they added an extra pkg car just for our local college, which is on my area.

2.4 hrs OT last paycheck. That's the most I've had in a long time.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I was on vacation this past week but heard from a few of the drivers that it was a crazy week. I saw the PT preload sup in the grocery store and he told me they added an extra pkg car just for our local college, which is on my area.

2.4 hrs OT last paycheck. That's the most I've had in a long time.

2.4 hours in one day or a week? Jeez, I average 3 a DAY. Vacation checks are the only checks I have that I get less than 55 hours a week.

UPS Lifer

I have no idea what our volume is like right now as I have been out since Aug 1 on a work injury. I have heard through the grapevine that it's crazy right now and they are cutting rtes as much as possible. We have a new center sup (O.R.) and he's pulling his hair out trying to get rtes out and drivers back in all to no avail as the DM is not letting him do his job. I feel for the guy.

Right now, the cutbacks are hitting the entire company. I have some friends in from Atlanta and Reno Nevada and could not believe the things I was hearing. The Business Development manager is based out of Reno and also has all the territory for the Sacramento area.

Here are just a few of the "edicts".

All air travel is suspended
No overnight stays allowed
Account Executives are given a certain mileage allowance per day and cannot exceed that allowance.

When you have a huge territory to cover this basically hog ties your ability to drum up new business. This goes against the very nature of what it takes to make a business successful.

If our Business Development Team is going through this type of scrutiny and cost reduction initiatives, you can imagine the pressure that is being put on on-road teams and drivers! WOW!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Right now, the cutbacks are hitting the entire company. I have some friends in from Atlanta and Reno Nevada and could not believe the things I was hearing. The Business Development manager is based out of Reno and also has all the territory for the Sacramento area.

Account Executives are given a certain mileage allowance per day and cannot exceed that allowance.

When you have a huge territory to cover this basically hog ties your ability to drum up new business. This goes against the very nature of what it takes to make a business successful.

If our Business Development Team is going through this type of scrutiny and cost reduction initiatives, you can imagine the pressure that is being put on on-road teams and drivers! WOW!

​WOW That's pretty pathetic for a company that is supposed to be so customer oriented.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

One of the consequences of going public.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

For the past two or three weeks the yard around our hub has been filled with parked, brand new Xtra Lease trailers, several dozen of em, parked all around the building. Guess they are just waiting to distribute em. Last week we actually had two rentals on my belt, and the volume was pretty heavy.

UPS Lifer

One of the consequences of going public.

I was never an advocate of going public. But I was one of the few management who advocated selling stock to all our employees. I was part of a team that sent a recommendation to management committee advocating the sale of stock to employees.