Silly things your center manager says...

That would be like saying if I used a fire extinguisher on route would I refuse to use the vehicle the rest of the day.

The simple fact of the matter is the employee doesn't feel safe and has noted it on the DVIR before he left and the issue isn't being fixed along with multiple vehicles that do have operational cameras not being used.

We have employees who refuse to drive with TP-60's attached to 1000's and cite safety. While I may not agreed with their stance, I understand it and they use the language we all work under to their benefit.

As a side note, consumer safety advocacy groups, the DOT,and the federal government are all in a fight over the mandate to put rear view cameras vehicles currently.

A 1000 is what we used to call 10-cubes? I used to pull a TP60 every day. What do they feel is the safety issue?

The safety issue comes in when they are directed to get air off on time and take the TP-60 through neighborhoods in order to do so.

I did that every day on my route. Unless it's some tight one way street or something it's no big deal. It's not, if very little, wider than the PC. Follow your safe pathway through your turns and it's not like a trailers even there.

If you want to sweat moving a trailer let me take you into some older parts of town with 53' of box on your tail in heavy traffic.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I did that every day on my route. Unless it's some tight one way street or something it's no big deal. It's not, if very little, wider than the PC. Follow your safe pathway through your turns and it's not like a trailers even there.

If you want to sweat moving a trailer let me take you into some older parts of town with 53' of box on your tail in heavy traffic.
I don't gamble with safety. I personally don't have a problem pulling a trailer to my first stop of the day during peak or otherwise, I won't take one through a neighborhood however. We have no business being in residential areas swinging trailers around, parking in front of driveways due to the extra length, it's just asking for an accident.

I don't gamble with safety. I personally don't have a problem pulling a trailer to my first stop of the day during peak or otherwise, I won't take one through a neighborhood however. We have no business being in residential areas swinging trailers around, parking in front of driveways due to the extra length, it's just asking for an accident.

My bass boat is bigger.

Besides, that's what the extra $.10 per hour pays for.

BrownArmy

errrm, two-point seatbelts, just saying.

I've gone through half a day with the rear-view monitor on the blitz.

I drove trucks pre-UPS for years with no back-up monitor, somehow truck drivers survived for decades and decades without back-up monitors.

Having said all that, if I'd written a truck up for no back-up monitor three times previous with no joy, I'd be upset as well - UPS likes the rules they make until they don't.

A driver had an e-brake completely fail out on the road, hanging down, totally non-functional, sup told him not to park on any hills, 'can't you keep going?'...

He was in the "blabla-Hills" section of town.

He red-tagged the truck himself right then and there, and rightfully so.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I would let my sup know what mechanic said and he makes call if I take it!!

Personally I would drive it, its a convenience to have the camera,,it's not a DOT mandate, until it is ,I would say you got to drive it...Some where along the way , we got a hand held bunch of drivers over the years that need to be coddled and baby sat..,,when I started, we never wore seatbelts (dumb) ! we never had automatic transmissions and never had power steering ,or venting in the cargo area with LED lights in there !! Our clipboards didn't beep to tell me to get my NDA off or if I was on the wrong Street....all along in our long wool pants, we some how got it done!!
I'm not saying every one in todays generation are softies, but there sure seems to be a lot who need there hand held and cant think without a GPS,Or IPhone !!

FilingBluesFL

ABS brakes are an enhancement also but would you take a package car out with the big red light glaring at you on your dash?

If this was the case, about 70% of the package cars in our center wouldn't go out, as the greater majority have their ABS light illuminated.

I took the car out for 4 days, yes it is a matter of convenience to have the backup camera, but it's both. Safety AND convenience.

Hell, if it weren't for the rear view camera, I wouldn't have gotten to see the look on the kids face that was chasing the package car one day when I stepped on the brakes and he went face first in to the rear door...

It's always fun when kids are out of school and they have nothing better to do that sit on the rear bumper or try to chase the car and jump on the rear step bumper...

OPTION3

I drove trucks pre-UPS for years with no back-up monitor, somehow truck drivers survived for decades and decades without back-up monitors.
and before you they had NO seat belts and had to take care of their horse and buggy…come on man different time…..maybe time for an upgrade..sheesh

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

and before you they had NO seat belts and had to take care of their horse and buggy…come on man different time…..maybe time for an upgrade..sheesh

....and there have been significant upgrades, to include the camera and rear view monitor, but that doesn't negate the fact that the camera is not a required piece of safety equipment and your pkg car will not be red-tagged when the monitor is not working.

....and there have been significant upgrades, to include the camera and rear view monitor, but that doesn't negate the fact that the camera is not a required piece of safety equipment and your pkg car will not be red-tagged when the monitor is not working.
Maybe he lives in a state that requires a backup device. Back up mirror/camera.

brostalss

Hmmmm, I actually like my current center manager. Personable, will come up to you and shake your hand, ask how you are doing. I take a light hearted side to the job we do and have fun with it. (What good does a negative attitude do?)

The only thing silly he'll say would be today asking me in a familiar sounding voice from a Geico commercial "Guess what day it is?"

My last center manager though had ZERO people skills. I miss him like root canal.