Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I am into this setup for $72.99, which is about $72.00 more than I would normally spend on a hack for work. I can justify it on the grounds that it could also be used in my personal vehicle and I will take it with me when I retire.

What I have here is four 40" lengths of 1/4" high-tensile shot-peened chain, four 1/4" clevis hooks, and one 1/4" double clevis.

These serve as "emergency chains" , two for each tire, to get me unstuck. They can be installed simply by running them through the holes in the wheels. They are for emergency temporary use only, to get out of a muddy/icy/snowy spot and onto solid ground where actual tire chains can be installed if needed.
Also, by attaching a double clevis to the end of one of the chains, you can connect all four lengths together to make a 13 foot tow-chain if another vehicle is there to help pull you out. You will need a pair of pliers or a Leatherman to pull the other cotter pin out of the double clevis.

WARNING: make sure to use clevis hooks, not threaded links. If a threaded link gets pulled under the tire and deforms, you wont be able to get it off. Clevis hooks are unlikely to deform and even if they do you can pull the cotter pin out and unhook them from the back. ALSO--dont run the chain thru the hole in the wheel where the valve stem is or you might damage it.
View attachment 59191

Nice! That's some heavy duty spares there. I had a set of what they called quick chains. I took them with me when I changed trucks over the years. Rarely used them, but great in a pinch. I like yours better actually since you can position them independently. These had to go close together as you can see.
PW6085V_2_1000.jpg

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
There's a reason for that. The cheap plastic lets the Suns rays go right through without doing anything to reduce glare or intensity. If you let the dust and dirt accumulate it helps to reduce the intensity of the sun so you aren't blinded when you have to drive into the sun to it from the route.
If you cleaned my visor I would be really :censored2: off.

I used to make maps and delivery notes on used report sheets and tape them all the way across the clear visors. What a world of difference!

8 Hour Day

A few I don't think have been mentioned...

-Hot Coffee. In cooler weather, bring your "raincoat" as well as your regular coat. Put your coffee thermos over the defrost vents & cover it with the raincoat. Crank the heat & split it between the defrost & cab vents. You'll have hot coffee at 6pm.

-Mirror Blind Spots. Loosen the bolts on the mirrors... slide the flat ones up the mirror arm & the convex ones down. Now, they won't block your view as badly at intersections.

-Rain on Warm Days. Keep a uniform or two separate. Spray them with "Camp Dry" or other waterproofing spray.

-Can't Read Numbers in the Dark? Angle your right headlight up & to the right so that it's no longer pointing at the ground, but at the numbers on mailboxes.

-Wasting Time Adjusting Mirrors? Use a knife or one of those "paint pens" to mark the positions of your mirrors so if they get moved, it's easy to re-adjust them quickly.

-Pens Fall Out of Pockets? 3 pens and a tube of chapstick fit snugly & won't fall out.

-Supes Calling? Airplane mode (especially useful during Peak).

-Boring Resi-Route? Podcasts!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
A few I don't think have been mentioned...

-Hot Coffee. In cooler weather, bring your "raincoat" as well as your regular coat. Put your coffee thermos over the defrost vents & cover it with the raincoat. Crank the heat & split it between the defrost & cab vents. You'll have hot coffee at 6pm.

-Mirror Blind Spots. Loosen the bolts on the mirrors... slide the flat ones up the mirror arm & the convex ones down. Now, they won't block your view as badly at intersections.

-Rain on Warm Days. Keep a uniform or two separate. Spray them with "Camp Dry" or other waterproofing spray.

-Can't Read Numbers in the Dark? Angle your right headlight up & to the right so that it's no longer pointing at the ground, but at the numbers on mailboxes.

-Wasting Time Adjusting Mirrors? Use a knife or one of those "paint pens" to mark the positions of your mirrors so if they get moved, it's easy to re-adjust them quickly.

-Pens Fall Out of Pockets? 3 pens and a tube of chapstick fit snugly & won't fall out.

-Supes Calling? Airplane mode (especially useful during Peak).

-Boring Resi-Route? Podcasts!
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1455334945.814902.jpg

PeasAndCarrots

When it's dark and you need both of your hands to carry a heavy package/multiple packages, turn on the light on your diad and place it sideways in your holster facing outward. The light perfectly illuminates the ground ahead of you giving you a hands-free guiding light.

::edit::
It also shines light ahead on the persons house so disregard this if you're in ninja mode.

PeasAndCarrots

Use the passenger-side cup holder for your diad so you can view your upcoming stops during the 2-3 second start-car routine before your diad turns off.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of our drivers has all this stuff in his car. Custom storage box and clamps all over the place. When I first saw this thread, I thought of this car:

ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1456024672.744458.jpg

Last edited:

Clerkboy

sic semper tyrannis
I buy myself a season pass at the pool every year & spend my lunch soaking & cooling off. I hit the shower, take dip, & have a fresh set of browns. It's like a brand new day!

8 Hour Day

I buy myself a season pass at the pool every year & spend my lunch soaking & cooling off. I hit the shower, take dip, & have a fresh set of browns. It's like a brand new day!
I have a couple of neighborhood pools the residents give me the gate code to. One even has a shower.

True luxury is getting a shower, dip in a pool and lunch after digging in a truck pushing 160 degrees!
UPSheat.jpg

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Don't know if this week qualifies as a hack or has been discussed but today I went to scan an end of day and realized I had left my DIAD in the PC. Took out my camera and took a picture of the label. Went back to the PC and scanned the picture. Worked like a charm.