Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
penlight, 6 in 1 screwdriver, bungees, tape, swiss army knife, wood matches in protective can, trail mix, extra drinking water ,overnight bag with toiletries bag, small precision tool set, blanket, spare cash and coins, little notebook for phone numbers and such, spare socks, first aid kit and medicines, whistle, map , book or magazine to read in case of breakdown or layover, spare batteries, any tool that can work for minor repairs. bag of trailer lights, airline hose with accessories (saved many a road call.)

i carried all this stuff ( and more ) in feeder as my meet points were 240 miles one way usually in the middle of nowhere.
Navy seal?

Rainman

Its all good.
I bought a broom at the dollar store to clean my mirrors and knock the ice off of my windshield wipers when it snows. It's also good to clean the floor.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This is an interesting UPS thread.

A lot of good suggestions by everyone.

soberups, is a "hands on" kind of guy.

first aid kit

Yep.

I'm surprised no one "specifically" mentioned band-aids.

For those times, when you cut your finger....

While adjusting your mirrors, and one breaks.

-Bug-

Cementups

Box Monkey
Now I've seen everything. UPS actually inviting you to steal their power. Back in my time that was a BIG no no.

In our house, if you don't treat your mechanics like crap they will do anything for you. But if ever questioned about it......play dumb.....real dumb.

rod

Retired 22 years
In our house, if you don't treat your mechanics like crap they will do anything for you. But if ever questioned about it......play dumb.....real dumb.

Our small center mechanic had no trouble at all replacing mirrors that were broken by "trying to adjust them' or touching up small scratches with his trusty quart of UPS brown paint or pulling out a bumper that mysteriously got tweeked but installing an obvious 12 volt plug in port was too much to ask. Being that his boss liked to stop at our center on the way to his cabin and take a look through a vehicle or two (I'm sure just so he could write off his weekly trips on his taxes) we wouldn't dare ask him to install one. We had to rely on alligator clips. Staying in good graces with your mechanic is one of the best things you can do for a smooth UPS career.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Another simple hack---in the winter when its cold and dry, static electricity becomes an annoying problem. You will get shocked every time you touch metal in the package car. The solution....is to keep a $.79 box of dryer sheets in the car. Rub the dryer sheet on your seat and seat back, then put it in your back pocket to eliminate static electricity.

soberups

If you have a package with a footprint on it, just pour a few drops of water on it and smear it around with your fingers. Saliva works also. You can quickly turn it from an obvious footprint into a random smudge.

clean hairy

Anyone mention a roll of TP?
Just in case nature calls loudly and you have to take dump in dr bag you got somethin to clean hp with.
Also, baby wipes. If your hands get goop from a box that makes them filthy or sticky, helps clean some the gunk off.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Wooden clothespin makes a good holder for call tags, driver follow-ups, other paper work. Clamp them all together and place them at the front of the 2000 shelf so you will see it every time you open the bulkhead door.

barnyard

KTM rider
Just in case nature calls loudly and you have to take dump in dr bag you got somethin to clean hp with.

We have 5 gallon buckets with sand and tire chains in many rural PCs. Add a bag and wipes and it will work in a pinch. Add a swimming pool noodle to the rim and you have a pretty comfy ride.

soberups

Also, baby wipes. If your hands get goop from a box that makes them filthy or sticky, helps clean some the gunk off.
The baby wipes are a good idea, but as far as taking a dump in a DR bag goes....nope. Not me. I will clench up and drive 20 minutes to a bathroom before I use a DR bag.

Cementups

Box Monkey
The baby wipes are a good idea, but as far as taking a dump in a DR bag goes....nope. Not me. I will clench up and drive 20 minutes to a bathroom before I use a DR bag.

I've never used a DR bag either, but I'm sure in a pinch (pun intended) I could make due. But I've never been that far off.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Carry a pop-up container of Lysol wipes; good to clean off the diad and stylus during cold and flu season.

Also cleaning your hands before breaks.

barnyard

KTM rider

I had food poisoning strike on route several years ago. Worst on route day ever. I threw up once and used the bucket 4 times in less than 25 miles.

Never say never.