Simple hacks for the UPS driver - On topic please

S

selfcancelsignal

The back pocket... I prefer it the best... If you wear the pouch it seems to interfere with the seat belt.. Ymmv
I remember @jumpman23 mentioning this awhile back. Started experimenting with it the last couple days of last week. Definitely works better if your uniform shorts/pants are a size bigger than normal. Was getting sick of the pouch seatbelt issue as it's mangling my infonotices. Plus sup really encouraged DIAD in the PC DIAD holder while doing my ORION ride a couple weeks back. Can't do the clip with a shirt jacket worth a spit, & not going to the tuck in variety shirt.

S

selfcancelsignal

Filling out delivery notices can be a real hassle when it is dark, raining, and you are trying to dig them out of a shirt pocket while wearing winter clothes and gloves.

If you encounter delays during your work day, a good use of that time is to go through your load and stick delivery notices onto any packages that are likely to need them. Its a lot easier to peel them off the pad ahead of time and write on them in the back of the truck, in the light and out of the wind and rain.
When you get to the stop, if it winds up being a send again you can just peel the note off of the package and stick it to the door without fumbling around with your pen and a flashlight. If its not a send again, the customer can keep it as a souvenier.
I love this idea as I usually don't have many each day. Will give it a whirl.

35years

Gravy route
41wYYwQeG3L.jpg

upload_2015-11-9_22-42-37.jpeg

1319.jpg

We have extreme conditions where I drive.
UPS outfits us with portable tow trucks (pictured above), Heavy duty V-bar tire chains with extra grip spikes and Cherry stone grit (way more effective than sand).

The portable tow trucks are a really quick and easy solution for traction, and they store easily on the ledge above shelf 3 flat against the wall. They will get you out of a slick situation quick. And your hands don't freeze. I have 4.

On pure ice the cherry grit is great. Made from Quartzite, the grit is granite-hard, angular, sharp and won't dissolve, become muddy, stain, or pollute.

The tire chains are quite a bit more heavy duty than the ones Sober sprang for himself. Use two on the slipping tire rather than one each on two tires. Or get 4 from the mechanics for 2 on each side.

Division managers elsewhere should spring for all of these since accidents and tows are so much more expensive. Ask and you shall receive!

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
I'm surprised no one "specifically" mentioned band-aids.
For those times, when you cut your finger....
While adjusting your mirrors, and one breaks.
-Bug-
Not sure anyone else picked up on that one BUG.
We tend to have quite a few mirrors break...while adjusting them of course, sometimes a tree branch "adjusts" the mirror for us.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If your package car does not have a spindle for DR bags, you can make your own out of a bungee cord. Just remove the hook from the cord and push the cord thru the tube. Mounting location will vary according to car type but you should always be able to find a convenient and accessible spot.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1447180747.394826.jpg
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1447180760.135298.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
41wYYwQeG3L.jpg

View attachment 59501
1319.jpg

We have extreme conditions where I drive.
UPS outfits us with portable tow trucks (pictured above), Heavy duty V-bar tire chains with extra grip spikes and Cherry stone grit (way more effective than sand).

The portable tow trucks are a really quick and easy solution for traction, and they store easily on the ledge above shelf 3 flat against the wall. They will get you out of a slick situation quick. And your hands don't freeze. I have 4.

On pure ice the cherry grit is great. Made from Quartzite, the grit is granite-hard, angular, sharp and won't dissolve, become muddy, stain, or pollute.

The tire chains are quite a bit more heavy duty than the ones Sober sprang for himself. Use two on the slipping tire rather than one each on two tires. Or get 4 from the mechanics for 2 on each side.

Division managers elsewhere should spring for all of these since accidents and tows are so much more expensive. Ask and you shall receive!

Good old chicken grit---saved my rear end many times.

soberups

Shouldn't be wrenching on your PC. Taking work away from a mechanic
I have "MacGyvered" my way out of having to call a tow truck and kept my mechanic from getting charged with a road call on several occasions. I sure as hell am not going to make him drive a 40 mile round trip out to my delivery area in order to tighten a loose mirror bolt.

clean hairy

If I'm on the Interstate, and my right mirror blows in when I'm in the left lane, I'm pretty sure our mechanic would give me his blessing to put a couple of wrenches on the mirror bolts.
Visit the Hardware Store and buy some locknuts to help hold the mirror in place.

soberups

A couple tips for using tire chains:
1. After removing chains, re-connect the ends. This will help keep them from getting tangled up.
2. Reuseable cloth shopping bags are excellent "tote bags" for tire chains. Use 2 bags, one for each chain. This makes them easier to handle and it will also help keep them from getting tangled up.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Last year was the first year I used a full set of chains. Other years I got by with cheaters...

But another tip I learned the hard way is when taking off chains, unhook the inside pat first. If you unlatch the outside part of the chain first then they will fall in between the tires (on a duely) and then you have to search for the link which takes forever.

Another thing that would help is if that they had someone show you how to put on and take off chains! I just had to wing it one day while driving in an extended area being stuck in the snow >:(

soberups

The "Three S" method for dealing with footprints on packages:

Spot the footprint.
Splash water or spit on the footprint.
Smear the footprint.

Dont ever give the customer a package with a footprint on it. By using the "Three S" method it only takes a few seconds to turn a footprint into an unrecognizeable smudge.

Before:
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1447397102.662407.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1447397121.782202.jpg