Sincere question

Hey guys.. I am fixing to make a career change to UPS. I have been a teacher and coach for several years now, but I am COMPLETELY fed up with the system. I have nothing to gain from it, and in the area I am in I honestly cannot make a difference. However,I have always wanted to be a UPS Delivery Driver (I'm fully aware these positions come with putting in the time). This has truly been a "bucket list" job for me for at least 10 years. I have been told that I could become driving possibly within 5 years of becoming an employee (because of the circumstances at the hub I will be working at such as drivers who are older, etc). I am recently married, just bought a home, and I just want some honest/sincere opinions from some who have "been there, done that"... Is it worth it? Will I be able to move up within 5 years? Would I for sure need to get another part time to make ends meet for a 2-3 year span? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hey guys.. I am fixing to make a career change to UPS. I have been a teacher and coach for several years now, but I am COMPLETELY fed up with the system. I have nothing to gain from it, and in the area I am in I honestly cannot make a difference. However,I have always wanted to be a UPS Delivery Driver (I'm fully aware these positions come with putting in the time). This has truly been a "bucket list" job for me for at least 10 years. I have been told that I could become driving possibly within 5 years of becoming an employee (because of the circumstances at the hub I will be working at such as drivers who are older, etc). I am recently married, just bought a home, and I just want some honest/sincere opinions from some who have "been there, done that"... Is it worth it? Will I be able to move up within 5 years? Would I for sure need to get another part time to make ends meet for a 2-3 year span? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
What are you insane? Don't quit your day job. This place sucks most days and on good days it's mildly tolerable.

rod

Retired 22 years
You never know until you try----somes got it and somes don't. Keep in mind that old saying about the grass is always greener blah, blah, blah.

You never know until you try----somes got it and somes don't. Keep in mind that old saying about the grass is always greener blah, blah, blah.
I definitely agree! I am not concerned about the physical labor aspect... I just know salary for drivers/benefits is second to none.

PT Car Washer

My building has had several teachers work UPS PT for the extra income. Get tired of the long hours everyday and quit after a few years when they are financially stable. Working PT at your building would give you a lot better idea of what you would be facing time wise. Might also have a chance working Seasonal driving during the Summer months or Christmas. Just hang onto that FT job for the benefits and the money because you get neither working PT at UPS.

Savvy412

Honestly, the only people I recommend this job to, are people who didn't go to college. Or if they did...in a profession that will not clear above 60k

This job is very stressful and every one thinks its because of the workload..and thats not it. they knit pick and watch EVERY ..EVERY..EVERY..single little thing you do. packages cars rigged to know how many times you back..open the door..this that this and that.Always trying to suspend you or threaten to fire you. SO you are always on edge because its always SOMETHING. Also when you are driving..EVERYTHING IS YOUR FAULT. you could be at a redlight..a drunk driver could come flying behind you,smash into you, and somehow they will try to find a way that it is YOUR FAULT.

But like any job..the good days are decent.

the main pro of this job. is HOW gosh darn FAST YOUR DAY GOES! i mean..12 hours flysssssssssssssssssss by. when i deliver to warehouses or office jobs..ill look around and be like omg..this would be the longest day everrrrrrrrrrr. But..na man..if we are voting..Dont do it. You are going to come here..they will get your hopes up..and they will stringyou along for 5-6 years (and then your progression starts) and thats if you qualify. They will use you for peak and just waste your time. The only people who last are the people who have nothing to fall back on so they just stay.

Or someone like me..who was in the warehouse for 6 years just for the bennys. and finally decided I wanted to drive so I got right in.

My building has had several teachers work UPS PT for the extra income. Get tired of the long hours everyday and quit after a few years when they are financially stable. Working PT at your building would give you a lot better idea of what you would be facing time wise. Might also have a chance working Seasonal driving during the Summer months or Christmas. Just hang onto that FT job for the benefits and the money because you get neither working PT at UPS.

That is what I am most scare about... I will be finished with coaching/teaching in May if I do accept the position. Which I know I will for sure have to find something else PT just to make ends meet.

rod

Retired 22 years
The two teachers I know hate their jobs now and are totally looking forward to retirement. Their biggest complaint is the lack of discipline and respect from the kids and the failure of parents to back the teachers when there is a problem.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Honestly ask anyone if they like their job, most will say no. You go to work to make money, not to be happy, or make friends. If you want to be tired and not at home then come to ups.