Sincere question

rod

Retired 22 years
all this talk about working at UPS for a pension-----------------------------------------------------don't count on it.

Why not teach at a private or parochial school?

I highly doubt that you're making $8/hour as a teacher, so is that your coaching pay? If you're coaching for the money, get the hell out of the way and allow someone that does it for the intangible rewards do it.
You certainly don't expect us to believe you're making $8/hour as a teacher!
during basketball season, I am at work at 7. I do not leave a game until 9-11range,thats a 14 hour day. I BARELY clear 2 grand.. do the math!!

Why not teach at a private or parochial school?

I highly doubt that you're making $8/hour as a teacher, so is that your coaching pay? If you're coaching for the money, get the hell out of the way and allow someone that does it for the intangible rewards do it.
You certainly don't expect us to believe you're making $8/hour as a teacher!
I get to work at 7 am... I do not leave until 9-11 pm some nights. I am constantly teaching, moving, coaching, driving a bus, dropping kids off, etc. I BARELY clear 2 grand a month... working 11-4 hours do consistently. Do the math!!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I'm not sure about summer seasonal. However they hire additional help at Christmas (which I am sure everyone does)!
Going from teacher to UPS is one helluva wake up call ,, this is a fast paced job and not as easy as it looks,, if your 35 or older , it will be even harder on you to start driving 5 + yrs down the road when your 40 +

Going from teacher to UPS is one helluva wake up call ,, this is a fast paced job and not as easy as it looks,, if your 35 or older , it will be even harder on you to start driving 5 + yrs down the road when your 40 +
i just turned 27 and have always been an athlete/in-shape... I just need to know if the benefits are worth going through the PT BS in the long run.. the driving salary and benefits... because I can assure its 100x better than what I have

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i just turned 27 and have always been an athlete/in-shape... I just need to know if the benefits are worth going through the PT BS in the long run.. the driving salary and benefits... because I can assure its 100x better than what I have
27 is. Ok to start here ,, this is a high pressure tuff physical and mentally draining job,, you also need thick skin , as every thing you do will be questioned by management and your best will never be good enough !!

27 is. Ok to start here ,, this is a high pressure tuff physical and mentally draining job,, you also need thick skin , as every thing you do will be questioned by management and your best will never be good enough !!
thanks for the advice! its just so nerve racking going all in for something like a delivery driver position that I am hoping to get within 3-5 years.. time will tell.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Like someone else said, it all depends on where you are at as to how fast you move up the chain. Back when I started, I worked PT for 14 months, went into Package, worked 9 years in package, then spent 29 years in feeders. There are buildings now that will hire you to package off the street, others takes 5-6 years PT. Some places hire feeders off the street. I'd pick your building carefully. It could make ALL the difference. My son in law is a teacher. He can basically pull up roots and find a teaching job anywhere he goes if need be. I'd say give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, and all the doom and gloom you hear here is true, you can always fall back on that sheepskin and teach somewhere else. Good luck to you.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Here's how to decide if you're cut out for ups hub work:

Put on jeans, a sweatshirt and work boots. Wait til it's about 90+ degrees outside, then go into your attic and do lunges and squats for 3-5 hours. Make decision.

Here's how to decide if you're cut out to be a driver:

Dress in shorts and shirt. Drive to anywhere and park in the sun with windows rolled up. Wait til inside car temp reaches 130+ degrees. Crawl from front seat and claw your way into the trunk by any means necessary. Kick open trunk and sprint 40 yards. Return to car, drive 1/4 mile, repeat 200x's. Make decision.

Now here's the kicker. If all of this sucks, but you're a pretentious, condescending shell of a human, AND you're easily mind washed and manipulated, AND believe you can insist others do these things which you're too much of a sissy to do, then forget the union work, you're ready to go straight to supervision! Congrats.

km3

If you intend to have kids, I think one of the single most important warnings hasn't been given to you yet: You'll never see them outside of the weekends. If you're okay with that, I say go for it. It could be the decision that changes your life for the better.

Delivery!!!

I was kinda in your shoes as in I thought I would love delivering for ups and have similar skills/personality and wanted a career change. I was tired of being in a management roll in another industry. I won the lottery as an outside hire and was right. Trust your gut and go for it, but have a financial fall back plan if it doesn't work out.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The coach of the "UPS Team"...

gJxWG6.gif

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Hey guys.. I am fixing to make a career change to UPS. I have been a teacher and coach for several years now, but I am COMPLETELY fed up with the system. I have nothing to gain from it, and in the area I am in I honestly cannot make a difference. However,I have always wanted to be a UPS Delivery Driver (I'm fully aware these positions come with putting in the time). This has truly been a "bucket list" job for me for at least 10 years. I have been told that I could become driving possibly within 5 years of becoming an employee (because of the circumstances at the hub I will be working at such as drivers who are older, etc). I am recently married, just bought a home, and I just want some honest/sincere opinions from some who have "been there, done that"... Is it worth it? Will I be able to move up within 5 years? Would I for sure need to get another part time to make ends meet for a 2-3 year span? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
once u start driving u will do a 30 day qualifying period...if u don't qualify ur screwed unless u can get ur teaching job back....if u do qualify u will then have to call in every morning to see if your working that day....after I qualified I didn't work for months at a time...can work in the hub but for 9.50 n hour how r u gonna pay for 2 kids......keep your teaching job.....most ppl I know who tried to drive after having house, kids etc quit because they werent making money....

NonDeliverOtherMissed

And no, once u become a pt cover driver can't really get another pt job, there's laws against that if u are driving that day, or the day after......KEEP UR TEACHING JOB

9.5 everyday

No offense, but I thought I had a good idea of what driving would be like too. It's a whole different world when you walk into an overloaded package car, look at your DIAD and see you have 170 stops. It's tough to describe until you actually do it.
A bricked out truck with 170 stops would be a great day on my route. [emoji20]