Sincere question

watdaflock?

COMPLETELY fed up with the system. I have nothing to gain from it, and in the area I am in I honestly cannot make a difference.
Funny, you just described working at UPS. Granted, as a UPS driver you don't have to deal with immature children all day, like as a teacher.
You just have to occasionally deal with some immature coworkers, at UPS.

What did you coach?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Try to get hired as a summer seasonal driver if they use those in your area.
< This.
Try being a summer driver to get a glimpse what it's like. Financially, it's rough at first. When I started it was 16 an hour to start but I think its around 18 now. It currently takes 4 years of driving to get to top pay, which with OT by the time you would get there would get you 6 figures.

That's after putting in your time inside part time, as you said. The average is 3-5 years working inside, but small centers have been known to take over 10 years. In the last year many areas have seen a much shorter wait time with some even having to hire off the street.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It's a good job. It's not a good career.
I'd say the opposite. The work is physical and can be hectic when learning. Also management does their best to make it suck.

The union makes it a great career with great benefits, great pay and better job security than most.

Holydriver

Hey guys.. I am fixing to make a career change to UPS. I have been a teacher and coach for several years now, but I am COMPLETELY fed up with the system. I have nothing to gain from it, and in the area I am in I honestly cannot make a difference. However,I have always wanted to be a UPS Delivery Driver (I'm fully aware these positions come with putting in the time). This has truly been a "bucket list" job for me for at least 10 years. I have been told that I could become driving possibly within 5 years of becoming an employee (because of the circumstances at the hub I will be working ach as drivers who are older, etc). I am recently married, just bought a home, and I just want some honest/sincere opinions from some who have "been there, done that"... Is it worth it? Will I be able to move up within 5 years? Would I for sure need to get another part time to make ends meet for a 2-3 year span? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
dont do it.

novadriver

No offense, but I thought I had a good idea of what driving would be like too. It's a whole different world when you walk into an overloaded package car, look at your DIAD and see you have 170 stops. It's tough to describe until you actually do it.

For me some days this is how i best describe it.

dkr-reviews-explodinghead.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I appreciate the honest comments.. I really do.
But yeah rod, teaching and coaching flat out sucks... I went to college, got a degree, and I am making like 8/hour during my basketball season. Sadly enough, I sat down and did the math... Plus everthings YOUR fault.. and you deal with kids that curse you out and theres nothing can do to them.
I loved it for about 25 yrs, now its not loveable. But if you could get in for summer hire, and then get laid off, you could then decide if its for you. Its not like you have no other skills or options.
But here, just like there everything is your fault. x2

Funny, you just described working at UPS. Granted, as a UPS driver you don't have to deal with immature children all day, like as a teacher.
You just have to occasionally deal with some immature coworkers, at UPS.

What did you coach?
Boys basketball.. It is somewhat rewarding, but simply not worth the pay. I would coach every day in the summer for free basically. Working 200+ hours June/July for free.. Not worth it. The PT supervisor route is definitely the route I want to take to have a diving route within a 2-3 year span (hopefully).

blkmamba

Boys basketball.. It is somewhat rewarding, but simply not worth the pay. I would coach every day in the summer for free basically. Working 200+ hours June/July for free.. Not worth it. The PT supervisor route is definitely the route I want to take to have a diving route within a 2-3 year span (hopefully).
You will never become a driver if you're a part time sup.

watdaflock?

Hey @Austin.Was.My.Hero before you derail my comment how about you actually try driving? Then you would have the ability to actually know what it is like, not from your view under the preload managers desk, with his pants draped across the back of your neck. Alright?
Get professional help before you go Kerry Joe on everyone. Obviously you're very angry.

Honestly ask anyone if they like their job, most will say no. You go to work to make money, not to be happy, or make friends. If you want to be tired and not at home then come to ups.
We need a wah' (crying) emoji.

PT Car Washer

Where does $400/wk being a PT sup come from. Most I believe make about $15/hr based on 27.5 hours a week paid twice a month minus taxes and health insurance and a 401K. PT sup for most is a dead end job.